PDA

View Full Version : MiniJig Rod

WaterBound
12-28-2008, 02:00 AM
I was thinking about making a minijig rod. I contacted Kencor and they would not do anything custom. I like the slow action of their rods like the PAC73, but prefer a longer length for casting. So I decided to wrap my own, but wanted to know what suggestions for blanks people had? I was thinking of going with a fly rod in 3wt but I wanted a 8.5-9ft length. Most of the rods in that length are in 4wt. Are there any rod blanks suggested for 2lb test in my desired length? I currently use a 10' Shimano Convergence. The action is a little TOO fast for me. My friend's cheap Bass Pro MicroLite is PERFECT, only they do not offer it in sizes over 7.5ft anymore. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bronzeback
12-28-2008, 09:37 AM
I was thinking about making a minijig rod. I contacted Kencor and they would not do anything custom. I like the slow action of their rods like the PAC73, but prefer a longer length for casting. So I decided to wrap my own, but wanted to know what suggestions for blanks people had? I was thinking of going with a fly rod in 3wt but I wanted a 8.5-9ft length. Most of the rods in that length are in 4wt. Are there any rod blanks suggested for 2lb test in my desired length? I currently use a 10' Shimano Convergence. The action is a little TOO fast for me. My friend's cheap Bass Pro MicroLite is PERFECT, only they do not offer it in sizes over 7.5ft anymore. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

Your requirements pretty much restricts you to fly rod blanks. The only spin blank I can think of that's close, is the G.Loomis 9.5' slow action St1141-2. Makes a nice bobber/minijig rod. I use this factory rod, but blanks are available.

Other good factory rods suitable for mini-jig fishing are the 7-9' Shimano Compres. Personally, I prefer the 7-7.5' for straight jig fishing and the 8-10' for bobber/jig fishing.

dockboy
12-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Look at Batson blanks. On Bloodydecks I saw a nice mini jig rod in the rod building forum built on a Batson 3wt. Good light blanks with nice sesnitivty and great price tag. Look'em up.

WaterBound
01-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Thank you so much for the suggestions! I think I am going to have acid rods in San Dimas make it for me. I was surprised at how low their prices were compared to wrapping everything yourself!

DCCTrouserTrout
01-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Thank you so much for the suggestions! I think I am going to have acid rods in San Dimas make it for me. I was surprised at how low their prices were compared to wrapping everything yourself!

Where in San Dimas is acid rods??

DCCTrouserTrout
01-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Oh, alright. I know C&M... I have never been in there to check it out yet...

spitbreaker
01-02-2009, 10:57 PM
go with fly wt.5 its better lenght in 7' to 8'6" but the 9' needed go with wt. 6 or 7 cast control for distance with 2lb test line

WaterBound
01-06-2009, 09:32 PM
I was wrong! C&M will no longer wrap your rods. They are currently too busy. So they referred me to Mike Ahern. Today I ordered my Batson RX7 2pc 9' 3wt blank. It was not in stock and should come in about a week. Mike's number was disconnected so I e-mailed him. If he does not come through does anyone have a referral for wrapping? My friend told me to go to Johnny's Tackle in Pasadena. Also I feel 5 wt is way too heavy to cast powerworms and minijigs. I tried their Batson 5 wt and it is still a faster action than my Shimano. Actually if anyone knows of a 8.5-9' rod in 2wt I would prefer that. Thanks for your time.

rip555
01-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Phenix makes some 8.5 and 9 foot rods for minijigging. They also sell blanks if you want your rods custom wrapped. Personally, my favorite rods in the new Elixir line-up are the 761 and 801 which have a lighter tip than the 8.5 and 9 foot line-up that is available.

Disclaimer: I am on the Phenix pro-staff.

WaterBound
01-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Phenix makes some 8.5 and 9 foot rods for minijigging. They also sell blanks if you want your rods custom wrapped. Personally, my favorite rods in the new Elixir line-up are the 761 and 801 which have a lighter tip than the 8.5 and 9 foot line-up that is available.

Disclaimer: I am on the Phenix pro-staff.

Thanks a lot!!!! I will look in to them!!!

jerryG
01-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Glass noodle rods have a nice slow action perfect for fishing the mini jig. Kencor still makes it's rods out of glass but most ultra-lite rods made are now made out of graphite. I have wrapped several ultra-lite spinning rods using fly blanks and I love these rods. The first fly rod I wrapped as a spinner was a 8' 5" 5wt. This was about 8 years ago and at the time I had planned on using just for those rare occasions when I would fish for trout but I had so much fun fishing this rod that I began using it in the surf for corbina and perch. I also began using it when I fished LMB. I ended up breaking it while taking it out of my truck and I immediately wrapped another one. I also wrapped a 7 wt. I have tons of fish on these rods including largemouth bass up to 12 lbs and legal + halibut. It's amazing what you can land on 4lb on UL long stick. I would recommend wrapping a fly blank to anyone looking for a long UL I used Amtak blanks which I bought for $25 and includes a life time warranty on the blank. You just can't go wrong.

If you don't wrap your own rods and you don't want to spend a lot of money on having a wrapped a good alternative would be to take a looke at the some UL crappie rods. They are designed for fishing mini jigs and you won't have much trouble finding one in the length you are looking for.

JerryG