PDA

View Full Version : name brand over non-brand shoe question

fishermanwife
12-27-2008, 10:23 AM
If you were to get a Christmas present and it was a pair of non-brand shoes, would you be grateful and wear them? Or, would you say your not going to wear them cause they are not name brand? They are plain white shoes nothing that stands out saying they are non-brand shoes other than the fact there is no Nike,Adidas or what ever symbol on them. Keep in mind this person is not a teenager competing for popularity this is an over 30 year old male that I feel is being ungrateful in the situation. :Angry:He has not even put them on to argue the fact if they are comfortable or not. He is just being materialistic and selfish :Crying:

So, I want all your opinions is this person being un-grateful or does he have the right to say he will never wear them just because they are not name brand??? :Rolls Eyes::Rolls Eyes:

CASTAWAY
12-27-2008, 10:30 AM
I would wear them, when I go fishing.:Big Grin:

Nessie Hunter
12-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Send them to me.....

I will be very thankful and wear them (if they fit)...

Kick his buns and call him a girly boy....
You could nick name him Madonna (the Material girl)...:ROFL:

smokinflies
12-27-2008, 11:12 AM
The pair of shoes really don't have a name on them? Wow, that's weird! Even knock-off shoes have names printed on them. Now that really is a bad pair of shoes.:ROFL:

fishermanwife
12-27-2008, 11:46 AM
I would wear them, when I go fishing.:Big Grin:

That's exactly what I said:!!!:

fishermanwife
12-27-2008, 11:53 AM
The pair of shoes really don't have a name on them? Wow, that's weird! Even knock-off shoes have names printed on them. Now that really is a bad pair of shoes.:ROFL:

There is a name on the shoe but it on the bottom sole of the shoe not in visible sight.. They are called Cross Trekkers

Here is one side view of the shoe
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/fishingnetwork/playinginthesnowdec262008029.jpg

The other side of the shoe
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/fishingnetwork/playinginthesnowdec262008030.jpg

The front view
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/fishingnetwork/playinginthesnowdec262008031.jpg

The back view
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/fishingnetwork/playinginthesnowdec262008032.jpg

Like I said if anything don't be rude and say you wont wear them at all. :Rolls Eyes:The least he can do is use them for fishing shoes..:Wink: That way no ones feelings are hurt :Embarrassed: and the person that got them for him will see they are being put to use. :My Two Cents:.. I would understand if it said Kmart on the side of them but come on.. THEY ARE PLAIN WHITE SHOES:!!!::!!!: :Angry:

KaliDawgFan
12-27-2008, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't wear white shoes period, but if they were some other color like plain black shoes then they would, in all seriousness, become my new fishing shoes.

smokinflies
12-27-2008, 12:26 PM
They don't look to bad. Maybe draw a nike symbol on the side of them:ROFL:. J/K. I'm not really a white shoe wearing kind of guy, but I use those for yard work, or keep them in my vehicle as spare shoes. They would also be great for fishing those duck infested lakes like legg lake. You know, those lakes that have bird droppings everywhere.

fishermanwife
12-27-2008, 12:34 PM
At least they are not the velcro strap shoes.. They lace up!! :Neutral:

cappo
12-27-2008, 02:26 PM
theyre not that bad looking. I prob would get a different color though.

NoHo ART
12-27-2008, 02:26 PM
i was gonna say in my younger years i wouldn't ... but now i don't really care ...... and actually its cool that there is no brand on it ... instated of flaa knockoff of fila or addidas or nicky..... and so on i have seen em alll

fishermanwife
12-27-2008, 02:40 PM
The thing about it is.. He likes white shoes.. His other shoes are ALL white. So its not the color thing its the name thing with him.. :Explode:

smokinflies
12-27-2008, 02:59 PM
At least they are not the velcro strap shoes.. They lace up!! :Neutral:

Velcro shoes are the best type of shoes out there!!!:ROFL:

Does anyone remember "zip-n-go" shoes? They had a zipper on the sides of the shoes.

WARRIORMIKE
12-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Ok when I was younger thats all we got were unnamed brand shoes. I wore those type of shoes all the way until I was 13 or 14. That was the time I started working full time and was able to afford to buy my own clothes and everything. Yes there are some stuff that I dont mind that arent name brand. For instance I don't have any "Sean John" wear. I would prefer a good pair of Levi's rather than some "Seven Jeans!" Regardless after I was able to produce money for myself, and have money to support my mom growing up, I told myself I would never wear any off brand shoe. When it comes to shoes they have to be brand name,I don't wear Jordans or any high dollar shoes like that I agree they do make a good fishing shoe, I would rather wear my old Nike's.

Maybe I am the "material girl," :LOL: which was funny by the way, but it all seriousness I would have taken a pair of Converse Chucks or some inexpensive Reeboks.

Last of all if someone has known someone for over 13 years and knows that they have never, ever worn a pair on non-branded shoe, why would they make a big deal about not wearing them. :???::???:

fishermanwife
12-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Ok when I was younger thats all we got were unnamed brand shoes. I wore those type of shoes all the way until I was 13 or 14. That was the time I started working full time and was able to afford to buy my own clothes and everything. Yes there are some stuff that I dont mind that arent name brand. For instance I don't have any "Sean John" wear. I would prefer a good pair of Levi's rather than some "Seven Jeans!" Regardless after I was able to produce money for myself, and have money to support my mom growing up, I told myself I would never wear any off brand shoe. When it comes to shoes they have to be brand name,I don't wear Jordans or any high dollar shoes like that I agree they do make a good fishing shoe, I would rather wear my old Nike's.

Maybe I am the "material girl," :LOL: which was funny by the way, but it all seriousness I would have taken a pair of Converse Chucks or some inexpensive Reeboks.

Last of all if someone has known someone for over 13 years and knows that they have never, ever worn a pair on non-branded shoe, why would they make a big deal about not wearing them. :???::???:

Well with that said.. Anyone wear a size 9 1/2 shoe.. I got a new pair you can have. It would be for someone that is not materialistic :Rolls Eyes:

tacklejunkie
12-27-2008, 04:26 PM
I get my shoes from Walmart and Payless and I'm proud of it!
(yet for some reason they are still name branded? or walmart brand or something but signature skater shoes. )
I'll even wear white now days but not out fishing.

To think I used to go through a pair of $90-$120 shoes in 3 weeks on a skateboard as a youngin' is ridiculous!

The style of the shoes in question is like "basketballish" or "running shoes" though. I would have picked a different style but if I got them free I'd suck it up and sport them fishing!

Can they not be returned?

NoHo ART
12-27-2008, 04:35 PM
I get my shoes from Walmart and Payless and I'm proud of it!
(yet for some reason they are still name branded? or walmart brand or something but signature skater shoes. )

To think I used to go through a pair of $90-$120 shoes in 3 weeks on a skateboard as a youngin' is ridiculous! skateboarding shoes last for ever i have 2 pairs of Osiris d3 i have had them since 8 years and they still do the job .... sure they got retired from everyday use but but still good for camping and dirty work

GeordyBass
12-27-2008, 05:48 PM
ok,ok,
you guys keep on talking about when you were about my age...hahaha...basstards...:LOL:

I'd wear them when i go to the gym or when i'm home just chilling...too bad i'm a 10 1/2 or 11...:Twisted::EyePop::LOL:

i wear some homo "birdman" shoes that are black leather and waterproof shoes for fishing...also cost me like $25...nuff said.

WARRIORMIKE
12-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Can they not be returned?

I will more likely not return them. Honestly I may use them for fishing or around the house type of shoe. :Wink:

bruce watson
12-27-2008, 06:58 PM
The best mass produced shoes and boots in the world are ECCOs, at just over $200. Unless you know what you are looking at, or can somehow undo the laces, you'll never know what brand they are. They're unmarked. They're adult shoes.

smokinflies
12-27-2008, 07:02 PM
skateboarding shoes last for ever i have 2 pairs of Osiris d3 i have had them since 8 years and they still do the job .... sure they got retired from everyday use but but still good for camping and dirty work

Skate shoes only last a long time if your not using them to skate in. When I use to skate I use to go through skate shoes in about three months, basketball shoes were about the same, and I'd go through payless shoes in two weeks:Shocked:. I even had to use shoe goo to try to extend the life of my shoes. Now that I stopped skating, skate shoes last about 5 to 6 years.

one_leg
12-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Anyone wear a size 9 1/2 shoe

:Neutral:.................................... :ROFL:

I wear a size 12.

They look like they are ready for a splattering of fresh fish blood any day now.

Could be the new lucky fishing shoes? But we might never know. :Confused:

tacklejunkie
12-27-2008, 07:40 PM
I will more likely not return them. Honestly I may use them for fishing or around the house type of shoe. :Wink:
Those are your white shoes in the pic?

WARRIORMIKE
12-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Those are your white shoes in the pic?

yeah unfortunatly they are mine. They were a gift from my inlaws

tacklejunkie
12-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Sport them suckas! They're not that bad!
I dunno if I could trust my rels to buy me shoes though so maybe I can kinda see where you are coming from. :Surprised:

DarkShadow
12-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Generic shoes?

Are they like generic beer?

http://www.jcrocket.com/images/generic/beercan.jpg

fishermanwife
12-27-2008, 09:03 PM
So just based off of the name you'd rather wear these ugly colored blue and orange ones.:EyePop:
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/fishingnetwork/reebok.jpg

than these plain NON-BRAND white ones?:Smile:
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/fishingnetwork/playinginthesnowdec262008030.jpg

Maybe reebok wasn't a good choice of shoes but they are name brand. :Confused:

Ronira
12-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Hey Mike, are you just pissed you didn't get the new reel you asked for? Wear them suckas dawg, that mud down at Irvine will trash a pair of tennies in no time!!

fishermanwife
12-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Hey Mike, are you just pissed you didn't get the new reel you asked for? Wear them suckas dawg, that mud down at Irvine will trash a pair of tennies in no time!!

That's news to me.. Wasn't on the the Christmas list he handed me.. :LOL:

As long as he uses the shoes. I don't care if they get trashed while fishing or even to take out the trash. The point I was just trying to make is wear them just to show the gratefulness that he was thought of during the holidays.. Remember its the thought that matters

BIGRED KILLA
12-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Who cares as long as there not all black velcro shoes.He needs to man up next year you should get him a pair off knock off socks who cares what peeps think about you.

Bigred

fishermanwife
12-27-2008, 09:49 PM
If I could have it my way.. I'd get him that boat and truck he wants.. Hey maybe next year.. It will make up for the bad shoes he got from my parents this year.

He's not a bad guy.. Don't be too hard on him :Wink:

NoHo ART
12-28-2008, 01:34 AM
i would just take em and smile say i always wanted a pair just like this and put em away....... just so i would not have to put up with all this :ROFL:
i usually just agree and go fishing the next day :Secret:

NoHo ART
12-28-2008, 01:42 AM
Skate shoes only last a long time if your not using them to skate in. When I use to skate I use to go through skate shoes in about three months, basketball shoes were about the same, and I'd go through payless shoes in two weeks:Shocked:. I even had to use shoe goo to try to extend the life of my shoes. Now that I stopped skating, skate shoes last about 5 to 6 years.
yeah i didn't skate with the d3 much as they are pretty heavy

Nessie Hunter
12-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Maybe I am the "material girl," :LOL: which was funny by the way..

:ROFL::ROFL:

I do know what ya mean though...
I have outgrown the need for name brand stuff...
Man, think about what you spend in a short time to 'look' cool...
Those name tags cost twice as much.. I have better things to do with that money...

A gift is a gift...
Once its given it belongs to you to do with as you please...
If you wish to be gracious, wear them one time when your 'with' the givers and comment on how much you like them.....(important with in-laws, you can never have to many brownie points with them)....
'Goodwill' (or a charity of your choice) come to mind after that... :Cool:

If they were a larger size, I would send you my address...... :Wink:

I always remember a saying my parents told me often....
It went something like this:

I complained about my shoes. Until I met a man with no feet..

Everyone, Be thankful for the many. many things you do have.

Happy Holidays....

MarkyMark
12-28-2008, 08:44 AM
:ROFL::ROFL:

I do know what ya mean though...
I have outgrown the need for name brand stuff...
Man, think about what you spend in a short time to 'look' cool...
Those name tags cost twice as much.. I have better things to do with that money...

A gift is a gift...
Once its given it belongs to you to do with as you please...
If you wish to be gracious, wear them one time when your 'with' the givers and comment on how much you like them.....(important with in-laws, you can never have to many brownie points with them)....
'Goodwill' (or a charity of your choice) come to mind after that... :Cool:

If they were a larger size, I would send you my address...... :Wink:

I always remember a saying my parents told me often....
It went something like this:

I complained about my shoes. Until I met a man with no feet..

Everyone, Be thankful for the many. many things you do have.

Happy Holidays....

I've heard that one before..so true..Thanks Nessie!!

Be grateful and find some use for them (fishing, working in the yard, etc) or donate to a church, charity, or needy family,..Times are tough!!

Quick skate shoe comment..I have a son who's into skating right now..he can destroy a pair of new DC's fast..that's why I buy him the discounted one's from Warehouse Shoe Store

MM

WARRIORMIKE
12-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Its not about looking cool or be fashionable. A whole lot of my clothes are not name brand. I just have pet peeve that the shoes on my feet have to be name brand. no worries:!!!:

olfishergal
12-28-2008, 03:49 PM
send them to me. the 9 1/2 will be OK, I have big feet lol........I will wear them a couple of times or not and then donate them to one of my homeless patient at the clinic.......OFG

lizzay
12-28-2008, 04:53 PM
They don't look bad but I'm not a huge materialistic guy but when I buy something I like to buy based on brands in most occasions because I find them to work a lot better or last a lot longer than the private labels. Especially for shoes, I've had knock off nikes vs. real ones and to be honest the real ones hold up longer than the knock offs by more than half the time. Not saying all private labels aren't great but under MY preference I would not choose to wear private label shoes but I would use them for the gym or on the boat when I'm fishing, even the white ones.

When I go to Bass pro I will get their private labels above others in certain cases if that helps.

I would not say that I won't wear them, I'll just give a big thanks and move on.

Troutman65
12-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Ok here is my take on all this. He is lucky he got a gift !! And a gift that he can wear like shoes. Who cares what brand they are? Try going with out shoes for just ONE WEEK and you would be thankful you were given such a nice gift. It's not like this person is a teenager as you said, this person is in their 30's. So fashion, name brand , etc. should not matter. The shoes in the pic. are fine shoes. They will do what they were designed for . They are a good looking pair of cross trainers in my IMHO. I think I would get this person a LUMP OF COAL for Christmas next year. I call it as I see it.

WARRIORMIKE
12-28-2008, 06:54 PM
:Neutral:.................................... :ROFL:

I wear a size 12.

Hey Alan,

:Wink: Just out of curiosity do you get half price off your shoes??? :???:

Santa Fe Eric
12-28-2008, 09:31 PM

Mike,
I work for a non-profit agency and in private practice as a psychotherapy intern. I have worked in the field of psychology for over 15 years first as a Recreation therapist and now as a psychotherapist. When I read your story it made me understand why you would not wear the shoes.
A person's childhood is spent going through tseveral stages including the stages of Initiative versus shame & guilt and then as a teenager in the stage of industry versus inferiority.
In initiative versus guilt, the child begins to try and shape their life by Initiating things that make them feel good. The typical parental responses are either empowerment or shame. If a child decided that they did not want to look poor and drew a Nike sign on their shoe, the parent could empower them by saying, "very good! maybe one day you will design your own shoe." However, most parents being frustrated by their own inability to "give the child the childhood they never had " choose to shame the child and tell the kid that he is lucky just to have shoes. Then they reinforce this with an embellishement that as a child they walked to school without shoes in the rain, uphill both ways. A child that is shamed by parents enters the next stage Industy versus Inferiority already feeling inferior.
In indusrty versus Inferiority the teenager is trying to find out what they are good at. For example a kid may spend 2 hours just dribbling a ball imagining that they are Kobe Bryant. A kid that can't find what they are good at will develop an inferiroity complex. It seems to me that Mike entered the stage of Industry versus Inferiority and decided that he would be financially industrious. When others were dribbling a ball, Mike might have been delivering the paper. Mike's as a teenager refused to let life happen to him. He did something about it. Alfred Adler stated that what a person does to overcome feelings of shame and inferiroity are sometimes what leads a person to greatness.
Therefore, we cannot both celebrate that Mike took control of his future at a young age and overcame feelings of inferiority through being industrious AND at the same time expect him to be happy about receiving some No Name shoes (no matter who gave them to him).
It is how Mike handles the situation that is more important. If Mike being Industrious has provided a decent life for himself and their daughter then they should be happy.
Mike, I understand, I wouldn't psychologically regress back to age 11 to put a smile on my in-laws face either!
However, Mike, you do have to help your wife to understand that yopu love her and her parents. This si truly a time to say, "This is about me, it is not you, it is really about me and who I am!"
Additionally, I think Mike is a good man because he is okay with his wife expressing her feelings about it over the network. Aslo Fisherman'swife, please remember that what made you love this man might have been that he refuses to settle for less. Which is why he fought so hard to win your love.

This first session is free!
SFE

1fish2fishredfishbluefish
12-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Sup Eric!!!

Peace,
Fernando

WARRIORMIKE
12-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Mike,
Mike might have been delivering the paper.
SFE

That was my first job :Shocked:

fishermanwife
12-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Mike,
Aslo Fisherman'swife, please remember that what made you love this man might have been that he refuses to settle for less. Which is why he fought so hard to win your love.

:Shocked: You are absolutely right. It's amazing how much you were able to pin point on the reality of how he grew up and felt.. You must be a very good psychologist knowing all that by just reading a thread about shoes.. :UDaMan:

I thank you for your feed back. You almost brought a tear to my eye when I read the ending part. :Wink:

jim532
12-29-2008, 10:29 AM
When I was a kid I thought my parents were cruel and being abusive by buying me shoes at Payless. How could they do such a horrible thing to their own son.

~larissa
12-29-2008, 12:18 PM
theyre not that bad looking. I prob would get a different color though.

which is also the reason why i made you get rid of those ugly looking white shoes you USED to have and why i pick out your shoes now. (sorry the shoe junkie in me talkin out)

Fisherman'swife, please remember that what made you love this man might have been that he refuses to settle for less. Which is why he fought so hard to win your love.
SFE

he's a smart man :Wink:

lalo56
12-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Not bad... but i know they would not fit my foot. I like to wear wider shoes so my feet can breath and not hurt.

Troutman65
12-29-2008, 03:57 PM
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/images/stocking_coal.jpg

one_leg
12-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Troutman65, you posted a picture. Did you get DSL for Christmas? :Shocked:

smokinflies
12-29-2008, 06:05 PM
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/images/stocking_coal.jpg

:Angry::ROFL:

GeordyBass
12-29-2008, 08:11 PM
lol...thats bs that non-branded shoes are not popular!look at all these responses!!!:LOL:

troutdog
12-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Santa Fe Freud is in da house!

I'm a size 9.5 :Idea:

TD

fishermanwife
12-29-2008, 09:45 PM
lol...thats bs that non-branded shoes are not popular!look at all these responses!!!:LOL:

Exactly, never did I imagine this thread would be so popular. At least I know I was not completely in the wrong. :Wink:

Santa Fe Eric again thank you for your reply. You made a great point.

Santa Fe Eric
12-31-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey Thanks!

This was a fun and very popular thread. You two seem like a very cool couple. Thanks for listening to my psycho-jargon :Razz:

Tight Lines

SFE

fishermanwife
12-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Hey Thanks!

This was a fun and very popular thread. You two seem like a very cool couple. Thanks for listening to my psycho-jargon :Razz:

Tight Lines

SFE

It was fun.. Got both of our points across with the fun of others input. What a great group therapy we had.. :ROFL:.... You too seem cool :Cool: Thanks

WARRIORMIKE
01-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Hey Thanks!

Tight Lines

SFE

I didn't think it would go that long myself

HBJapo
01-02-2009, 10:24 AM
I'd wear 'em, name or no name.

Japo :Envious:

smokinflies
01-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Damn, still talkin' about the shoes? Crazy!!!:ROFL:

fishermanwife
01-02-2009, 09:43 PM
damn, still talkin' about the shoes? Crazy!!!:rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

James343
01-06-2009, 03:53 PM
I didn't think it would go that long myself

I bet right about now you are just wishing you put on the shoes smiled said I love them and ditched them at the first opportunity.

I'm in the same boat as you I got the most god awful hoody from my in-laws for xmas that thing is still in my trunk if I have it my way it will never see the light of day again....ewwww I shutter at the thought of that hoody...

DarkShadow
01-06-2009, 04:08 PM
I bet right about now you are just wishing you put on the shoes smiled said I love them and ditched them at the first opportunity.

I'm in the same boat as you I got the most god awful hoody from my in-laws for xmas that thing is still in my trunk if I have it my way it will never see the light of day again....ewwww I shutter at the thought of that hoody...

I would've simply said thank you, and then found the first homeless person that needed it more than you did and given it to him/her.

And remember, you didn't give them away because they were hideous. You gave them away because you found somebody who needed them more than you did.

Manny
01-07-2009, 12:39 AM
size 91/2 here, bring em to the vine for the event and i'll show you how good they look while I hike to the west shore.....:Thumbs Up:

James343
01-07-2009, 11:41 AM
I would've simply said thank you, and then found the first homeless person that needed it more than you did and given it to him/her.

And remember, you didn't give them away because they were hideous. You gave them away because you found somebody who needed them more than you did.

Pretty much what I did my office collects new clothes for charity monthly so I just gave it to them.

fishermanwife
01-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Well if anyone wants those non-brand white size 9 1/2 shoes PM warriormike.. He will be glad to discuss arrangements with you.. :Wink: