PDA

View Full Version : Duct 12-27-08 Morning

yolo
12-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Went out this a.m. to a spot that I have never had any luck at but the closest to me. The water was moving pretty good. About 20* out with no wind. Ice forming on guides, line and reel. I made 6 casts down flow and the 7th cast was up flow and in the middle and after a couple of cranks, I get a bump. 2 more cranks and it hit again and I set the hook good. Fish on and I get it to the side. Since the water was moving pretty good, there is quite a bit of exposed slime from the water level being down. I almost slid in trying to pick up the fish but I was able to catch myself. Shoes got a little wet.

This one was hooked good and actually had both trebles of my lucky Trap in the mouth. No way it was coming loose. My fingers froze trying to get the hooks out as I didn't have my pliers with me.

Well not bad for 10 minutes of work. It weighed in at 7 lbs 12 oz. Basically 7 3/4 punds.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2012-27-08/IMG_2601.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2012-27-08/IMG_2602.jpg

WARRIORMIKE
12-27-2008, 09:11 AM
good stuff for only a couple of hours :Cool:

MarkyMark
12-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Nice fish..

You're a braver man than me..I thought it would be COLD & WINDY like yesterday..woke up this morning NO WIND, but COLD

MM

yolo
12-27-2008, 09:18 AM
good stuff for only a couple of hours :Cool:

Couple of hours? It was like 10 minutes. 7 casts and I was done :Big Grin:

Nice fish..

You're a braver man than me..I thought it would be COLD & WINDY like yesterday..woke up this morning NO WIND, but COLD

MM

Cold is fine as long as the wind is absent. Get out there. It's a beautiful day. If I didn't have plans, I would have stayed longer? I actually was not even planning to go out but there was not even a breeze as I looked out the window this morning and I had a 1/2 hour to kill so I went and it paid off.

adiablo420
12-27-2008, 09:31 AM
thats what im talkin bout.. nice torpedo.. love to see them silver bullets...

WARRIORMIKE
12-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Oh daaaamn sorry my bad . You da man!!! :Twisted::Twisted:

RamboBoy
12-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Nice striper and healthy! I am going fishing the Duct at the Palmdale tomorrow for sure. I have to wear lot of warm clothes and jacket, lol.

yolo
12-27-2008, 09:46 AM
All the fall and winter stripers have been very healthy so far. There is a lot and I mean a lot of food in the duct this year.

StriperEye
12-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Hello Yolo,my name is Frank. Congrats on the fish the last couple weeks, I've been reading your post and am extremely jealous sir!! I've been "fishing" hold on let me say trying to fish the A.V. Ducts for the last year and a half. Usually around 2-3 days a week, with only chasers no takers..I fish alot and had such a horrible year..Keep up the good work..At least I know theres still fish in there..

INDOANGLER2
12-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Great job Yo, be carful with the cement sides, it doesn't take much to slide in especially when its icy. I started taking a net with a long handle after sliding in early this year.

tpfishnfool
12-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Hello Yolo,my name is Frank. Congrats on the fish the last couple weeks, I've been reading your post and am extremely jealous sir!! I've been "fishing" hold on let me say trying to fish the A.V. Ducts for the last year and a half. Usually around 2-3 days a week, with only chasers no takers..I fish alot and had such a horrible year..Keep up the good work..At least I know theres still fish in there..

The duct is a weird kind of place , meaning ya got ta put the time in and be in the right place at the right time. with the cold water you need to go slow on the retrieve and go small on the baits. No flows means be stealthy and fish the bends and throw up or down the line. If you hit it right its usually a good one. Most fish are between 6 and 7 lbs.
Good luck and always post a report and pic .

yolo
12-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Great job Yo, be carful with the cement sides, it doesn't take much to slide in especially when its icy. I started taking a net with a long handle after sliding in early this year.

Thanks. I used to take a net but I lost a nice fish a few months ago because of the net. It would barely fit into the net and the lure got snagged on it and the striper did a roll or two and got unhooked because the lure got snagged in the net. To me it depends on the angle of the side. If I am on a low pitch like the past couple of outings, I don't take the net because I can usually drag it up to me and I can get close to the water. When I go to spots with steeper side walls, I try to take the net, but I also like to walk and work more ground so the net is kind of cumbersome.

BTW, I forgot to mention that this one had 10 minnows/smelt that I could count in its stomach. I have not seen schools of minnows or shad in several weeks. I know they begin to die off at a certain water temp. Has anyone seen schools lately? There were so many all year.

StriperEye
12-27-2008, 06:32 PM
The duct is a weird kind of place , meaning ya got ta put the time in and be in the right place at the right time. with the cold water you need to go slow on the retrieve and go small on the baits. No flows means be stealthy and fish the bends and throw up or down the line. If you hit it right its usually a good one. Most fish are between 6 and 7 lbs.
Good luck and always post a report and pic .

Thanks TP for the info...I have put in the time, that is for sure! I have caught several in the past,just this last year seemed to be impossible for me.Like you said, right place at the right time. I've been at the wrong place all the time:Crying:: I get up there alot and bounce, its coming. If any of you like company while fishing, I'm all game. Yolo, I have seen individual shad here and there up to last thurs..

Striper Bill
12-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Congrats yolo, great job on the striper.

SkipperDick
12-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Nice Lineside Yolo, careful out there brother, watch those slick walls. Again, Congrats Brother! Enjoy reading your reports.

yolo
12-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks all. Rambo Boy is heading to the duct tomorrow. I'm going to try to get out there and find him. Maybe make it 4 for 4 on hook ups? That's not bad this time of year.

RamboBoy
12-27-2008, 08:37 PM
That is right! I will be heading to the Duct tomorrow. Wish me luck to catch the striper fish. I will fishing all day from 5 a.m. to 3 p.m. in different places in Palmdale/Quartz Hill.

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-29-2008, 10:16 AM
nice wiork and nice fish, glad ya didn't fall in

smokinflies
12-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Couple of hours? It was like 10 minutes. 7 casts and I was done :Big Grin:

Wow! That's gotta be some kind of record. Great job.

yolo
12-29-2008, 02:53 PM
It has happened like that many times before to me. I have seen guys post that made only a cast or two and hooked up. Right place at the right time.

I was just with my neighbor who wanted to go out and nothing for us, but when we got to the first spot, a poster on here was coming out with a nice one. I weighed it for him and it was 8lb 5oz . He was only there a few minutes too and got it like on the 5th cast I think he said. I wish we would have gotten there 10 minutes earlier :)

WJC71
12-29-2008, 03:09 PM
It has happened like that many times before to me. I have seen guys post that made only a cast or two and hooked up. Right place at the right time.

I was just with my neighbor who wanted to go out and nothing for us, but when we got to the first spot, a poster on here was coming out with a nice one. I weighed it for him and it was 8lb 5oz . He was only there a few minutes too and got it like on the 5th cast I think he said. I wish we would have gotten there 10 minutes earlier :)

Yeah Buddy!

yolo
12-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah Buddy!

So it was you. Congrats! That was another healthy striper. Have you cleaned it yet? Let me know how many minnows or smelt are in the the gut. Just curious. We fished for a little while longer with no luck. Did see a school of minnows hiding out in some brush when we spooked them and they scattered.

Maybe see you out there again? Way to go!

WJC71
12-29-2008, 03:56 PM
It's all clean
It had two shad and one perch in it's gut
Now I'm just debating on whether to make tacos or fry it up
Nice to meet ya and we'll definitely have to hook up one of these days
Have a safe and happy New Year

......END.........

yolo
12-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks. Happy New Year to you too. It was big enough for tacos and frying.