PDA

View Full Version : Hiking to the West Shore

gavin310
12-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Any advice on getting to the West Shore on foot safely? I saw some people climbing along the rock slope last time and it looked a little sketchy, so if it's possible I'd like to hike along the top. Any tips?

troutdog
12-26-2008, 10:32 PM
You do not need to scale Mount Irvine to access the West Shore....there is a trail that you can take without having to risk falling off the face of the earth :Wink:

Good luck out there,

TD

gavin310
12-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Cool thanks. that's really good to hear :) I could just picture my tacklebox sliding down those rocks into the lake

troutdog
12-26-2008, 10:56 PM
If I were to do that walk, I would suggest condensing your tackle and maybe just put your gear in a backpack. Backpack, small cooler and a couple rods and you are golden.

TD

calico killer kevin
12-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Right after the 1st? cove on the west shore, there is a visible sand bar at the point and people are always killing it there. Best spot on the West Shore IMO.

bruce watson
12-27-2008, 10:14 AM
If you can get to the second sandbar on the west shore, your problems are not over. OFG and I took my boat over there a couple of weeks ago. Casting from shore, we could not get past the underwater brush. Almost every cast was lost terminal tackle and no fish. We had to get back in the boat and drop anchor out a ways.

gavin310
12-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks guys. Fishing was slow but steady. I got there at 8 and left at 2 with 3 fish. The guy next to me was hooking up like every 20 minutes. He had a super light setup with heavy weights and was casting further than everyone.