PDA

View Full Version : Gulp Minnow rigging

fishmounter
12-26-2008, 05:06 PM
I see so many people fishing with the Berkley "Gulp Minnows" in saltwater. Just how do you rig this for Halibut and bass? Carolina Rig? Drop-shot? On a jighead?

spooks
12-27-2008, 06:34 AM
I see so many people fishing with the Berkley "Gulp Minnows" in saltwater. Just how do you rig this for Halibut and bass? Carolina Rig? Drop-shot? On a jighead?
all of the above

tacklejunkie
12-27-2008, 09:52 AM
I like using them nose hooked with the point tucked into the nose on the drop shot with Gamakatsu #2 split shot/drop shot hook.

They also work good on a jighead but I get snagged up a lot that way.
I'd use a weedless one if you can.

I don't know what everyone else is using, but I use the gulp "poggy". It's like a little paddletail but works great on the d/s. You can also kinda swim it in on the drop shot and it'll get hit too. I caught like 8 spotties on one gulp pogy bait one time, but I did retie the line after every other fish.

RUSSO
12-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Gulp! Jerkshad or Swimming Mullet on 1/8 or 1/4 Darter Head

BingJr
12-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Gulp! Jerkshad or Swimming Mullet on 1/8 or 1/4 Darter Head

Yup,

I fish the minnow this way as well. Use a good hook, the bronze hooks straighten out like a mofo.

Cangler
12-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Watermelon works the best i find ... on a C rig

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Yup,

I fish the minnow this way as well. Use a good hook, the bronze hooks straighten out like a mofo.

Use the 1/4 oz round head jig, beleive it or not you'll find it has better action than the darter plus you retain the bottom contact better when bouncing it and you'll find that it "feels" better as far as sensitivity, the dater tends to get more "boyant" when you pop it off the bottom...use the alive minnow and yes you will lose jigs but it's a deadly combo.......deadly...

Use the Oversize premium 1/4oz gamagakstu jigheads...they carry them at walmart...I stress to be sure to get the "Oversize" the have a wider gap hook and it's much stronger, you won't have a big toad straighten the hook on those
I've also landed many off dropshot as well but as long as you in a relatively shallow area, Id put my money on the jig setup till you reach a depth of 25' or better then the dropshot method will serve you better but theres always a heavier jighead but you lose valuble action when you go up in weight..

Of coure the dropshot is a great way to get the more dosile bite patterned fish to go since you can keep the bait in the target zone easier while retaining action...

Hope this helps....go nail 'em....
P.s.
Use the lightest line you can depending on structure...

Gary