PDA

View Full Version : Favorite big bass swimbait

fishmounter
12-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Being a fish taxidermist and working with molds of actual fish, I am planning a new design for a Rainbow Trout swimbait. I need some input as to what lures that are on the market right now are the real fish catchers. What are your favorites? Which ones consistently catch more large bass? What kind of action should the bait have? Tight wiggle? Slow wobble? Any info is appreciated!

tacklejunkie
12-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Ideally, I'd think you want the head to move a small amount too with the tail when it's swimming. Not just the tail. A medium amount of movement from the tail and a small amount of movement from the head is what I will be shooting for when I get more work done on my balsa bait.

I love the BBZ slow sink! (some) Hudds are great too!
Both completely different baits though.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm sure your baits will turn out amazing!

PHISHnutS
12-26-2008, 09:01 PM
The market is so saturated with swimbaits right now, everyone and their grandma is making swimbaits.

You will be far behind the curve if you're starting from scratch with an 'original' design and if you copy a popular swimbait on the market you will have a backlash and lose allot of potential customers.

Good luck.

fishmounter
12-26-2008, 09:56 PM
I know there are tons of these baits out there and I don't want to go into the business. (with my hand painting of every scale, I would not make any money anyway.) I have a few select customers that are urging me on to make a few baits specifically for them. They will more than likely just be collectibles for the den. But they will look like live little trout and actually work...maybe only at Lake Barrett though,...Ha ha!

WARRIORMIKE
12-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Being a fish taxidermist and working with molds of actual fish, I am planning a new design for a Rainbow Trout swimbait. I need some input as to what lures that are on the market right now are the real fish catchers. What are your favorites? Which ones consistently catch more large bass? What kind of action should the bait have? Tight wiggle? Slow wobble? Any info is appreciated!

I think whatever bait you decide to make its gonna be awesome :Twisted::Twisted:

tacklejunkie
12-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Not to hijack FM's thread..
But I have an idea for a new type of swimbait that I will give away free soon.

There are things that are not on the market that just might work.

How would you like to be chucking an 8" swimbait on 6-12lb test while keeping in your rod ratings but still getting to fight those lunker swimbait fish? If you ask me, using 30lb takes some of the fun out of it.

The idea is a bit more involved than you may think. I'll show it off on here as soon as I finish it and see what you guys think. I might need some help proving the bait works when it's finished though..

HEMAN
12-26-2008, 10:59 PM
i think you simple is better.. look at the triple trouts... they dont have the most realistic paint.. but works awesome.. same wth the z plugs.. im not knocking themm. jsut saying...

my opinion is.. make it as realistic as possible.. or make it something that will entice fish... think.. GY Senko / ika... they can represent so much more than jsut a worm or crawfish...

That Dang Guy
12-27-2008, 11:22 AM
How about taking a different approach? Instead of creating your own swimbaits, how about custom painting existing swimbaits. This can be new in box swimbaits or baits that are damaged. The damaged swimbaits best applies to wooden swimbaits which often have problems with hook rashes and cracked epoxies.

Just adding options.