PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Lake...

Kokak
12-26-2008, 10:50 AM
I have driven past this lake many times near Lake Hughes and have never seen anyone fishing it. I am tempted to take my Float Tube up there and give it a try.

Anyone have any ideas about this lake?

Anyone have any experience fishing this lake?

tpfishnfool
12-27-2008, 09:09 AM
This little lake has had its ups and its downs over the years. As of late its on a downer. Water quality is poor and although the dfg says its been planting , it has not been planted this season. The lake has a huge population of bullheads and used to have a great lmb fishery. The problem is its a stagnet lake with no inlet or outlet. Its spring fed but has some leaching problems from the surounding area homes and golf course as well as a water treatment plant on the northeast end. There has been an alge bloom for the last two years that just wont clear up. Too bad cause its a great little place that years ago was quite good for trout, bass, cats, crappie and gills. Hope for a good rain season this year and maybe it will clear up.

MarkyMark
12-27-2008, 09:17 AM
This little lake has had its ups and its downs over the years. As of late its on a downer. Water quality is poor and although the dfg says its been planting , it has not been planted this season. The lake has a huge population of bullheads and used to have a great lmb fishery. The problem is its a stagnet lake with no inlet or outlet. Its spring fed but has some leaching problems from the surounding area homes and golf course as well as a water treatment plant on the northeast end. There has been an alge bloom for the last two years that just wont clear up. Too bad cause its a great little place that years ago was quite good for trout, bass, cats, crappie and gills. Hope for a good rain season this year and maybe it will clear up.

I agree, we need rain!!!

DEADROOTS
12-27-2008, 10:01 AM
if you throw out a Night Crawler you will get 8-11 inch yellow catfish and possibly a trout. That all I ever got. cats are consistently caught.

Kokak
12-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the info...

I guess I will put away the fly rod and break out my Cat gear if I head out to this lake...

Sounds like Catch and Release is the rule here too (for health reasons).

Thanks again for the input...

tpfishnfool
12-27-2008, 04:55 PM
if you throw out a Night Crawler you will get 8-11 inch yellow catfish and possibly a trout. That all I ever got. cats are consistently caught.

Those yellow cats are brown bullheads. I would not eat anything out of that lake.

FISHBAIT
12-29-2008, 10:56 AM
I agree, "DONT EAT ANYTHING OUT OF THAT LAKE" We used to go to Elizabeth alot. My son cought his first fish off the shore. But over the last 4,5 years it's really been bad. Even the locals stopped fishing this area. At one point it was a nice area to sit back and relax. Now you only have a few areas you can walk down to get to the lake since everything is so overgrown. (DFG needs to hire a clean up crew.) But I agree with the catfish review. Plenty of them anytime of the day.

Fishbait