PDA

View Full Version : Went to Wood for Trout; ended up /w Striper

smitty99
12-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Went up to Silverwood this afternoon for a little christmas troutskie action but ended up knocking the Striper dead with my Thomas Bouyant. :???:

Weather was GUSTY winds probably up to about 30mph at times then going to almost calm. Large rollers and white caps out on the main part of the lake. It was raining in sheets sideways--no factor--I brought my rubber pants, military gortex jacket , rain gear etc...

Got there around 3:30. Went down to the boat launch off cleghorn rd. Started fishing the beach to the right of the docks about 100 yds over. First cast with yellow/black Rooster tail had a nice little rainbow follow up and flash at me.

Threw a few more times then decided to change it up to my most successful color so far out here: Rainbow Trout on a 1/8oz Thomas Bouyant. Had a nice trout on near the side of the docks (not fishing from docks) but the thing spit the hook at the shore.

About 4:15pm Walked down to the right about 200 yards from the dock where the beach gets more sandy, theres a dead old pine tree and some clay looking banks. Started throwing my Thomas Bouyant. Had a huge hit, broke my line. (Lucky I had a backup Rainbow TB in my box :Twisted:)

First cast WHAM!!!. Loosened the drag this time and fought the sucker for about 5 minutes. "Nice trout" I'm thinking!! :LOL: Pull it up out of the water and its a damn striper!!!! WTF! By now the Wind is blowing like crazy and the rain is coming down so hard, all I have is an eye-slit from my hood I can see through.

Get him unhooked, re-tie my lure, next cast; BLAMMO! Another one! Getting the hang of fighting these guys and bringing them in....redo the setup then throw again--and again I catch ANOTHER striper but this little bastard breaks my rod in half just as I'm about to beach him!!! :ROFL:

Luckily I have another light trout setup :Cool:....So now I have 3 decent little stripers on the stringer.... Thats more than I need to eat, so I walk back toward the dock hoping to get some Trout....walk about 100 yards back toward the launch ramp/dock. Make a few casts, catch another striper. Now I'm in C&R mode with these babies. Cast a few more times, another striper follows my lure up.

At this point it was almost dark (4:45ish) and my hands were numb from the cold. I decided I would pack it in and call it a successful day of fishin. Guess I'll have some fish tacos instead of grilled trout. :ROFL:

When cleaning one I found a few baby blue-gill inside.

I tried my best with the pics at the lake but the weather was so bad I couldn't really set the camera down for timer-mode. (the pics are titled Pyramid lake, forgot to change the file name on my camera, these fish are from Silverwood)

Team Santana
12-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Nice job out there, I thought someone said it was closed

smitty99
12-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Gate was wide open. I paid my fee (slipped a $10 in the envelope because I didn't have any change). I saw a few people come down and drive around the lot but then they just left. Not sure what they were looking for... The warden even drove down as I was about to leave.

Funny thing I didn't mention before-- I heard some loud crackeling & popping noises coming from the Parking lot while I was fishing. I look up to see one of the light poles going nuts and sparks flying everywhere. I guess the water got into the wiring somehow and caused a short circuit.

GET DA NET
12-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Great job job on the stripers. Sux that yur rod broke, now you have an excuse for an upgrade.

Rooster
12-25-2008, 08:30 PM
nicely done on the TB.. Enjoyed the report and pics.. Props

Team Santana
12-25-2008, 08:39 PM
sweet, just imagine if you threw swimbaits, you prolly would have ended up with a biggun

dodoman
12-25-2008, 08:42 PM
wow, an intresting read.
those striper sure put the hurt on your trout rod.

the gates were closed earlier, but you still can park out side the park and fish.

great catch , bro.

fishntime
12-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Sorry to hear about the broken rod. But this gives you an excuse to go out and buy new tackle. Oh ya, great job on the stripers.

FISHSTIX
12-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Bummer about the broken rod but kudos on the stripies with the trout setup. Very strange but very:Cool:,your t.b is about the same size of the bait it was chasing:Envious: thanks for the report and pix.

RamboBoy
12-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the report! Wow you are brave man to go fishing gust windy 30 mph and cold in raining. Good job.

kozaki
12-25-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm sure that awesome 30 minutes makes up for that broken rod! Good work! Exciting 'ish!

Seng90806
12-25-2008, 10:04 PM
great job out there!!! you got yourself some taco meat :LOL:

smitty99
12-25-2008, 10:04 PM
It was a cheap $25 Wal-mart job anyway. The line was expensive though 4lb test flouro... 30 minutes of craziness! It was worth it.

I actually have another longer rod with a broken Zebco reel on it. Saved it just for this purpose. Now I can swap them out!

The striper were terrorizing the little LMB in the shallows too. I could see them scurrying everywhere. Hopefully someone can put my report to use tomorrow and lay some waste to a few more!!

calico killer kevin
12-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Dude, this report has inspired me to make a trip sometime next week.
Anyone catching trout at all and can we launch a kayak?

supasportkid
12-25-2008, 11:41 PM
good job! sounds like a great xmas!

BassinChef
12-25-2008, 11:57 PM
great job out there ....braving the tough conditions!!!!!! and slaying some stripeys.

mth1997
12-26-2008, 01:28 AM
Props on gettin out there in the weather! Some of my most memorable fishing trips were done in rain and/or snow.

candyman
12-26-2008, 03:25 AM
Wow I would not be out there in that weather!!! Great job on the stripers and thats pretty cool to find those bluegills in there and how one of them is nearly broken down. Great report!

snag
12-26-2008, 04:22 AM
Great report Smitty!

Good job on braving the weather, too bad about the rod.

Better to bust one on a fish rather than in a car door or tailgate.

Thanks for the good read!

Nessie Hunter
12-26-2008, 07:38 AM
The Wood is good for Ninja trips also....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/92345NessieHunter/Wood%2012-3-06/12-3-06003.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/92345NessieHunter/Wood%2012-3-06/12-3-06006.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/92345NessieHunter/Wood%2012-3-06/12-3-06007.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/92345NessieHunter/Wood%2012-3-06/12-3-06008.jpg

Good job on the stripers...

seal
12-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Way to go! I was out Wednesday and while fishing for trout I noticed the stripers coming in after trout so had to do a jog to the car for my striper rod by the time I got back out no more striper boils and couldn't get them to play with my Xrap.

By the way Silverwood re-opened on Tuesday and has been real good since then. Had the lake almost to myself for 2 days:Big Grin:! I guess that's gonna change now.

FYI, road down to Cleghorn docks is still closed as of yesterday.

hugo c
12-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. I felt that I was right there with you, although staying dry......... Ha......

Fishing in those conditions, then having the outing turn memorable, was worth it. Plus, you spread the joy by sharing with the FNN community.

Thanks again, bro.............

LIZARDKING1
12-26-2008, 10:53 AM
nice catch!!!!

steve092
12-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Well, I'm glad that the information I was told was not true after all!

Great job out there!