PDA

View Full Version : Brown Trout

Poseidon
12-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Where are all the trout and those brownies? there are no reports?

WARRIORMIKE
12-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Where are all the trout and those brownies? there are no reports?

Time my little grasshopper. Soon there will be many. Patience my son:Secret:

BingJr
12-26-2008, 12:05 AM
So Far in the bellies of the monster Cats and Stripers.

fishmounter
12-26-2008, 12:26 AM
The remaining young Brown trout that survive the Stripers, big Largemouths, catfish and Rainbows will no doubt end up growing quite large on the abundant shad and other baitfish. Also the large, deep and very clean lake will help produce a trophy Brown Trout fishery in 4 to 5 years. The CDFG just needs to put in several more large stockings of pan size brownies.
The Browns have the potential of getting to DD and even into the 20+ range.

dodoman
12-26-2008, 12:29 AM
browns are stocked, never heard or seen anyone catch one.
i personaly think they went deep, WAY deep.

TrouTracker
12-26-2008, 12:59 AM
To P- The browns are going to be fine in the Jewel. The last plant of DF&G browns were much larger then anticipated. They were not fingerlings, but averaged between 8-10". That was about a year ago. The DF&G biologists state that they expect a 10% survival rate of the total stockings. There's been way over 50K browns stocked that include fingerlings and the larger then anticipated ones. You can do the math. There are some browns already over the 20" range, but are very elusive. They are going to be very difficult to catch, but they'll be trophies for sure. We'll all hear about the first nice brown in a few years..........
Barry A. Ogawa

dodoman
12-26-2008, 01:45 AM
some extra browns have been stocked recently.

tenderloin
12-26-2008, 06:32 PM
A few months ago I talked to the gentleman in charge of trout production and stocking for the state. He stated the DFG was confident enough browns would survive, as well as with continued stocking, to provide a great fishery...He seems dedicated to that

DarkShadow
12-26-2008, 06:37 PM
I heard about a guy that released a brown trout today from shore.

dockboy
12-26-2008, 08:19 PM
In deep lakes like DVL the browns go deep. They lose their brown coloration and turn silver with large spots, much like the lake run browns in the Great Lakes. Since DVL main forage base is an open water schooling fish, the browns will follow that. However, you can be there will be fish that roam shallow. They''l be rare, but Im willing to bet a few browns will be caught on rip baits fishing for bass.

WARRIORMIKE
12-26-2008, 09:28 PM
DFG stocks those brownies very often, From what I know the last stockings of browns was about a month ago.

tpfishnfool
12-27-2008, 08:39 AM
I find it odd that we have yet to see a post of a DV brown.. Remember, they planted browns at Castaic too back in 74'. They all ended up bass food.

WARRIORMIKE
12-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Remember, they planted browns at Castaic too back in 74'. They all ended up bass food.

I wasnt alive back then :Razz:

farmerandy16
12-27-2008, 11:17 AM
In deep lakes like DVL the browns go deep. They lose their brown coloration and turn silver with large spots, much like the lake run browns in the Great Lakes. Since DVL main forage base is an open water schooling fish, the browns will follow that. However, you can be there will be fish that roam shallow. They''l be rare, but Im willing to bet a few browns will be caught on rip baits fishing for bass.

agreed 100%

god i love dvl.

fishmounter
12-27-2008, 02:53 PM
There were some Browns put in Silverwood way back in the 1970s and several nice 5 to 7 pound fish were caught a few years later. They did not spawn (as expected) so eventually they were all caught or died of old age. The CDFG should have kept up on the stocking every few years to maintain a trophy Brown Trout fishery. Hopefully they will do this at DVL.

diamondbear
12-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Back in the early 80s I would fish for the Big Brown Trout at Lk. Silverwood , talking to a lk. legend Dale East , he showed me a few good spots and WHY , BUT NOT OWNING A BOAT BACK THEN , Well , I sure killed the catfish from shore back when , ha [ timing is everthing ] AS I THINK the DFG should of stocked brown trout Back in the early stocking days of DVL . Iam just hopimg these brown trout stockings can survive at this time in DVL AS THE FISH WON'T BE ABLE TO SPAWN , and the Striper Bass fishery is probably way beyond any kind of control , added to the fisherman who are wanting to catch and kill these fish when caught . But I quess I'll take these good tasting white meated fish as they come [ stripers ] and go to Big Bear LK. for my Trout . // db

dockboy
12-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Funny thing is without a primary tributary stream to spawn in, trout do not spawn successfully in lakes. Without moving water to migrate into and spawn, the trout fry do not hatch in good numbers, and success rates are very low. Thats why lakes that have large populations of spawning fish, such as Crowley and the Bishop creek drainage area lakes, have high success rates for spawning. So the browns at DVL will have to maintained through stocking. Luckily, browns are also the longest lived of the salmon subspecies called trout. However, remember with the state budget as is, auxiliarly stocking programs such as those for the browns are the first to be halted. Gregory once had a similar program that ran afoul of the state budget.

Indo-angler
12-27-2008, 11:31 PM
DFG stocks those brownies very often, From what I know the last stockings of browns was about a month ago.

Earlier this month we came across a bunch of birds diving in a cove.

It was a school of stocker browns (and some rainbows) in a cove and the grandson had a good time on them for awhile with trout setups!!! They were biting anything. We didn't recognize them as the browns we usually catch up in the Sierras.

A couple of MWD people, who were there on the shore, said they were browns and went in the day before, which would be Dec10th. These were all about the size of a huddleston!

I hope they got out of the cove alright to spread out, because it would have been an easy meal for stripers.

TroutOnly
12-28-2008, 10:32 AM
I love it those browns that survive will be the bass frys worst nightmare,not that the holdover trout already get them pretty good,trout eatting bass thats too cool,big browns feeding every night with there big *** sharp teeth,,,,,

THROWBACK RANGER
12-28-2008, 11:28 AM
i love it those browns that survive will be the bass frys worst nightmare,not that the holdover trout already get them pretty good,trout eatting bass thats too cool,big browns feeding every night with there big *** sharp teeth,,,,,

dont worry all the cats, striper, and bass had their feast on all the browns already!!dfg says that 1 % will survive. 1% cant even put a dent on any population. If you ask me the browns are not the predators in that lake!!!THATS A NICE PICTURE YOU PAINTED IN YOUR HEAD THOUGH!! ALL I SEE ARE BROWNS AND RAINBOWS SWIMMING FOR DEAR LIFE WITH SCHOOLS OF DOUBLE DIGIT BASS AND STRIPERS FOLLOWING FROM BEHIND WITH NAPKINS TIED AROUND THEIR NECKS AND A KNIFE AND FORK IN EACH OF THEIR PECTORAL FINS!!!

farmerandy16
12-28-2008, 11:53 AM
a ten pound brown will dominate a ten pound bass that bass wouldnt stand a chance.

hhahaa

THROWBACK RANGER
12-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Call me crazy but you sound like a farmer bro!!!!!im sorry! I really am!!!

farmerandy16
12-28-2008, 01:54 PM
i suck at fishing.

but a mature brown trout with a full tail and sharp teeth will punk around bass and will eventually become the predator at that lake. minus the 30-40lb stripers...

THROWBACK RANGER
12-28-2008, 04:14 PM
i suck at fishing

hey, you said it not me!!!!

TroutOnly
12-28-2008, 06:11 PM
HEY RANGER YOU BETTER HOPE THEY DIDNT SURVIVE ,SEEMS YOU DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT BIG BROWNS THERE VERY SMART AND VERY HARD TO CATCH,PLUS THERE TEETH CUT THE BEST OFF ALL THE TIME,BIG BASS AND STRIPERS ARE NOT HALF THE CHALLENGE,,,,t/o

THROWBACK RANGER
12-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Sorry bob!! Trout fishing is not my cup of tea!! Though i've caught plenty of browns in my day! It is clearly your opinion what a challenge is. Just like its my opinion that not very many of those browns will survive. The record cat @ d.v.l. Had a bunch of little browns in it, amagine how many other fish devoured those browns. But only time will tell how the future of the brown trout plays out at that lake. And it is also my opinion that they will ruin another great bass fishery, there's already striper's adding to the competition for food. Look what happened to castaic, its no where near what it used to be. It's slowly deteriorating, every year it's getting tougher. I mean sure anybody can do laps around a lake and get a hook up or two, but how much of a challenge is that? No skill required, the boat does all the work. I personally think it was a mistake on the d.f.g.'s part for stocking browns there. They might as well stock snakeheads, they eat bass fry too!!

Marley
12-28-2008, 07:31 PM
I will always believe that the DFG should buy a truckload of Mt. Lassen triploids, or score a trade from Idaho DNR, and plant them in DVL. Why not plant a fish that can't spawn into a lake with no "facilities" in which to spawn? All those 'loids do is eat and grow and they will grow massive with DVL's forage base. 40-plus pound rainbows? No problem!

one_leg
12-28-2008, 09:16 PM
I'd rather catch and release a huge brown than a huge LMB, especially at DVL.

dockboy
12-28-2008, 11:31 PM
I personally dont think browns will grow a large niche in the food chain. The realitvely few that will be caught will be large, I think. Even in ecosystems where only trout are found, browns arent the top predators. If they coexist with another species like rainbows that are more energetic and numerous, they carve out a smaller niche. Browns are rarely a dominant species, so to speak. They just live long enough and grow wary enough to get large.
The trout wont be the demise of DVL. Stripers, low water, high fishing pressure, and a decrease in the forage base resulting from low water will. Look at Castaic in its prime and then its slow period. And the Colorado River chain.Low water and an aggressive competing species like stripers to lower the forage base is all it takes.

TroutOnly
12-29-2008, 07:39 AM
IF YOU THINK ALL THERE IS TO TROLLING IS DROPPING SOMETHING OUT THE BACK AND CRUISING AROUND YOU REALLY DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT , IT TAKES QUITE A WHILE TO LEARN HOW TO VERY SUCCESSFULL,AND THERES SOME MANY THINGS IN THE EQUATION IS SICK,AND THATS JUST FOR ONE TYPE OF TROUT,BECAUSE THE HOLD OVERS ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN FRESH STOCK TROUT AND THE BROWNS WILL BE EVEN DIFFERENT THAN THOSE TWO, STRIPERS ARE INTIRELY DIFFERENT THE EASIEST ARE LMB THEY ARE SO PREDICTABLE AND NOT MUCH OF A FIGHT,,,,t/o

one_leg
12-29-2008, 08:36 AM
At least we don't have to worry about the High Sierras being overrun with those nasty ol' bass. :Evil:

DKCbassman
12-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Mr. TroutOnly, (No disrespect) Trolling around for fish tends to take the fight out of fish. Unless you are trolling for something with lightline, doesn't that just kill the 1 on 1 Angler vs Fish fight? Again, no disrespect towards you or your Guide Service, I think you are the most reasonably priced, die hard fisherman around. I say that because everywhere I go I almost always see you.

THROWBACK RANGER
12-29-2008, 09:34 AM
STRIPERS ARE INTIRELY DIFFERENT THE EASIEST ARE LMB THEY ARE SO PREDICTABLE AND NOT MUCH OF A FIGHT,,,,t/o

if they are so easy how come you dont catch them with any other technique than trolling? now thats easy, trolling!!!just set it and forget it!!!!!! sure you could predict a bass, or in your case school sized striper jumping on a umbrella rig drugged past its face!! how much of a fight is that? a lil schoolie on trolling gear, picture that!!! the way you fish seems more suitable as a commercial approach rather than sport!! oh, by the way, i've caught bigger fish on the troll than you could ever even fathom...your trout are equivalent to blue perch in my book( a terd eating rodent)

farmerandy16
12-29-2008, 04:13 PM
if they are so easy how come you dont catch them with any other technique than trolling? now thats easy, trolling!!!just set it and forget it!!!!!! sure you could predict a bass, or in your case school sized striper jumping on a umbrella rig drugged past its face!! how much of a fight is that? a lil schoolie on trolling gear, picture that!!! the way you fish seems more suitable as a commercial approach rather than sport!! oh, by the way, i've caught bigger fish on the troll than you could ever even fathom...your trout are equivalent to blue perch in my book( a terd eating rodent)

hahahaha you have obviously not seen pictures of big 7-8lb holdovers at dvl that fight hard and take drag even on 12 colors of leadcore.. ive fished with bob before and let me tell you he knows his **** and catches bigger fish then anyone on the troll. and unless your trolling in saltwater or in the great lakes i doubt your statements of catching bigger fish on the troll are even close to the truth. :D

but none the less brown trout are aggressive and smart. they will survive but definetley in smaller numbers simply because of the invasion of stripers. thats why dvl has started spreading out the stockings in random coves and far away from the marina.

one_leg
12-29-2008, 04:18 PM
hahahaha you have obviously not seen pictures of big 7-8lb holdovers at dvl that fight hard and take drag even on 12 colors of leadcore.. ive fished with bob before and let me tell you he knows his **** and catches bigger fish then anyone on the troll. and unless your trolling in saltwater or in the great lakes i doubt your statements of catching bigger fish on the troll are even close to the truth. :D

but none the less brown trout are aggressive and smart. they will survive but definetley in smaller numbers simply because of the invasion of stripers. thats why dvl has started spreading out the stockings in random coves and far away from the marina.

If they keep draining the place they might end up being able to use the origional on-site hatchery to let the fish grow big and then place them into the main lake. :Evil:

THROWBACK RANGER
12-29-2008, 04:45 PM
and unless your trolling in saltwater or in the great lakes i doubt your statements of catching bigger fish on the troll are even close to the truth. i always tell the truth!! Even when i lie!!!

DCCTrouserTrout
12-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Why must we bash eachothers styles of fishing and prefrence on species??? If every fish fought the same and and was caught on the same taclke and tactics, wouldn't it get a little boring? But on the subject of the browns.... all I can say is it will be interesting. Of course most of them will get devoured but I can't wait to see that trophy brown come out of there one day...

one_leg
12-29-2008, 05:48 PM
I wonder how many of the large browns will end up dying after someone catches them with 10 pound zebco units or on heavy catfish gear and just about rips their guts out before before getting bit off?

kewlwhip
12-29-2008, 05:52 PM
DVL is a trophy fishery, no matter what the species.

-I've landed all species, except the browns and DD stripers with Bob, and its not all been on the troll.

These $.02 I can outfish you punches are lame...Fishing is all about fun. And on that note, I've been aboard the phenom boat more than a few times, and i can tell you, trolling isn't all that Bob does to slay memorable catches. Trout/stripers/Bass and more. Anyways- Uncle B knows more than most on here...the only way to find that out, is to get on his guides, learn from the posts, or be lucky to be one of his friends.

Trophy Browns, i'm all about it!...as well as the stripers, holdovers, cats, blues, crappie, smallmouths and more!... Out of those species, i'm sure the browns will pop out sooner or later.

christainmetalhead909
12-29-2008, 07:23 PM
i always tell the truth!! Even when i lie!!!

why you bashing on troling for trout when you can do the same for bass i cant tell you how many bass that i have caught trolling for trout.

fishindude420
12-29-2008, 07:29 PM
trout are lame. its all about the LMB!

seal
12-29-2008, 07:56 PM

Glad to hear from you, well said. I guess you do a lot of fly fishing for bass huh? Cause we all know those dumb ole trout will just hit anything at any time.

farmerandy16
12-31-2008, 05:16 PM

check that stocker trout are lame, holdovers are in my opinion the best dvl has to offer. you can catch big bass, big stripers, big cats, big crappie at a lot of lakes. but holdover trout to the size dvl has is veryy rare in socal.

THROWBACK RANGER
12-31-2008, 06:16 PM
yesterday i saw a osprey grab a nice holdover. they make good eats for everybody!!!!!

farmerandy16
12-31-2008, 06:19 PM
that osprey mustve been on steroids..

muskyman
12-31-2008, 07:48 PM
It would be cool for you guys to have some real fish for once, be it browns or something better like tiger muskies ! The browns here in lake michigan are insane. 20lbers are a dime a dozen, anything under 10lbs is a rat. They get the silver look to them like kings and coho's do in the spring, then the fall colors come in and they look bad ***. I get most of mine on rip baits. They really like the big saltwater TD minnow. Casting for 20lb browns is really good in downtown chicago. I get them right off navy pier and all the break walls. The browns will be in the rocks just like the smallies, ambushing whatever they can. Total predators. When you reel in and you get followers - it reminds me of casting iron for yellows and burning the salas as fast as you can back to the boat ! Browns are exactly the same way too !

THROWBACK RANGER
01-01-2009, 06:35 AM
It would be cool for you guys to have some real fish for once, be it browns or something better like tiger muskies ! The browns here in lake michigan are insane. 20lbers are a dime a dozen, anything under 10lbs is a rat. They get the silver look to them like kings and coho's do in the spring, then the fall colors come in and they look bad ***. I get most of mine on rip baits. They really like the big saltwater TD minnow. Casting for 20lb browns is really good in downtown chicago. I get them right off navy pier and all the break walls. The browns will be in the rocks just like the smallies, ambushing whatever they can. Total predators. When you reel in and you get followers - it reminds me of casting iron for yellows and burning the salas as fast as you can back to the boat ! Browns are exactly the same way too !
this should be in out of state reports!!

TroutOnly
01-01-2009, 09:55 AM
HEY DKCBASSMAN,WHEN I TROLL FOR TROUT ITS ALWAYS WITH LIGHT LINE ,I SIZE UP THE LINE WITH THE SIZE FISH IM AFTER,DVL HOLDOVERS I USE 6 AND LB,AND THATS A HELL OF A FIGHT WITH AN DVL HOLDOVER BECUASE WHAT EVER THE SIZE IS THE FISH FIGHTS LIKE SOMETHING TWICE THE SIZE,IF IT WAS A 5LBER IT WOULD BE LIKE A TEN LBER,AND WHEN I DOWNRIGGER STRIPERS I GO WITH 15 OR 20 TEST ON THE BIG TROUT PLUGS OR SWIMBAITS,IVE BEEN A LITE LINE FISHERMAN MY WHOLE LIFE I WANT A CHALLENGE, THE ONLY RIG I GO OVER KILL ON IS STRIPER TROLLING WITH THE UMBRELLA RIGS QAND IF YOU DONT RUN HEAVY LINE THEN THE FIRST TIME YOU TRY TO UNSTICK YOURE RIG OUT OF SOME ROCKS WORKING STRUCTURE YOU LOSE YOURE RIGS AND JIGS,OR YOU GET A DOBLE HOOKUP WITH TWO 10LB STRIPERS GOING TWO DIRECTIONS AT ONE TIME I DONT THINK YOU LURE SLINGERS KNOW ALOT ABOUT THAT,AND MR RANGER I USED FISH ALL THE TIME FOR BASS FROM THE TIME I WAS TEN UNTIL I TURNED 25,FROM ALONDRA PARK AS A KID TO EVERYPLACE AROUND FOR A LONG TIME,THE ONLY BUMMER WAS WE DIDNT HAVE SO MUCH NICE TACKLE THEY HAVE THESE DAYS,YOU REALLY SHOULDNT TRY TO BASH ME BECAUSE IVE FISHED FOR SO MANY DIFFERENT KINDS OF FISH IN SO MANY DIFFERENT WAYS,I GOT HEAVY INTO TROLLING BECAUSE ITS THE EASIEST ON MY OLD TIRED BODY, AND BY THE WAY A TRIPLE HOOKUP ON THREE FIVE LB BASS ACTUALLY IS KIND OF COOL IVE DONE THAT ALL DAY LONG AT THE DVL ,GREG SILKS YEARS AGO GAVE ME A GREAT LITTLE TIP THAT MASHES THE BASS,,,,,t/o

komaiaboyz
01-01-2009, 03:01 PM
those lake michigan brown trout look like crazed fighters.

DKCbassman
01-02-2009, 08:56 AM
I think this all started when you gave the "Easy,Boring" association with Mr. Largie. I find that Largie's are easy to target, aggressive, good fighting fish. I can find them 24/7, especially with my current Striper situation.

Alright TO Stop Cutting In Line!!!!!! Only I can do that.

Frenchy
01-06-2009, 07:08 PM
was there o about a month or so ago caught an 11 lb stripey and it had a small brown in it abt 12 inches so thery are in there but if i was a lil guy like they are i wood b more concerend w runnin away from mr striper thn eatin some powerbait or a nightcrawler prolly down deep in the middle of the lake use some down riggers and fish deep is my best guess

billy b
01-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Just like Silverwood. Happy for the bass people ... sorry for the trouters.

sesgia
01-10-2009, 02:52 AM
there in the deep and getting fat and laughing at us :Sad:

tpfishnfool
01-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Here is the only brownie that will come out of DVL..