PDA

View Full Version : X-mas eve 2008! BEST BIG FISH DAY IN YEARS

VineAssist
12-24-2008, 05:42 PM
That's right folks for the few anglers that managed to make it out on Christmas Eve 2008 they where rewarded with probably the Best Lunker bite I have seen in many years! Right from the get go I knew it was going to be an epic day! I actually started out the morning OBLIGATED to fish because it was my buddys bithday. Set up shop next to Bob Barr, who is an extemely nice guy and is more than willing to get wet to net somebody else's fish, Omar "Huggybear" Banks amongst others.
The bite was pretty good first thing with some dinks biting for me. All of the sudden Bob gets bit on his nightcrawler rod. He says it feels like a better fish and proceeds to fight his fish for about five minutes. This is the end result!!! A beautiful 8.4 ounce fish.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/irvinelake/BobBarr-1.jpg
I look down at my cell phone and its time to go to work. All of the sudden I hear that Omar has landed a big fish. Rumors are swirling that the fish is well over the ten pound mark! I send Nick down to take pictures and get the information! This is Omars 1st fish. A gigantic 12.4 nightcrawler eating Rainbow Trout!
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/irvinelake/Huggybear.jpg.
A couple of hours later I am helping one of our dock workers when I see a female angler hook yet another 10+lb fish while tossing a lure. I go down just in time to see Lisa Gray of Corona land her personal best (as her husband told me) Rainbow Trout. The fish went 10.14 lb and was caught fishing a Kastmaster in the Silver pattern from shore.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/irvinelake/LisaGray.jpg
My being nieve thought there was no way that another big fish would be landed snapped a picture of the trio. Here is Bob Barr of Tustin, Lisa Gray of Corona and Omar "HuggyBear" Banks of MMP CA with their impressive catch.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/irvinelake/XmasEvetrio.jpg
If you did not catch my satire in the last phrase their was a lot more left to come. Bob calls me frantic saying the Lunkers just went on the chew! He said it was basically insane on 5+ fish for about thirty minutes. Bob managed to land yet another Lunker. This one went 10.2 lbs. But of course this fish was land on suprise, suprise a night crawler. Bob is picutred here with his 8.4 and his 10.2! Congratulation Bob I cant say enough about the week you have been having! You are just an awesome guy and I know that everybody that fished with you today thinks the same.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/irvinelake/Barr2.jpg
But wait there is more. What are the odds of somebody catching not one 12 lb Trout but two. Well, Omar "Huggybear" Banks managed to do just that! Omar land another 12.12 Rainbow in the final hour of fishing!!!!!! Way to go Omar. An unbelievable day for you to say the least!!!!
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/irvinelake/IMG_0036.jpg
Omar is the guy in the red sweatshirt.
Not to be outdone Fred Ginger of Rialto managed to land this 5.14 Rainbow Trout while fishing but of course a nightcrawler. Fred's fish was amazing looking it had a huge hooked jaw and brillant colors. Here is the same picture as before with who is who.
Omar is in the red sweatshirt holding up his two 12+ lb fish. Bob is on the left with his 10.2 and 8.4, and Fred is kneeling with his 5.14 hooked jaw male Rainbow Trout.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/irvinelake/IMG_0036.jpg
So I am just going to tally the day for everyone just in case you where not counting.
4 Fish over the 10lb mark!!!!!!!!!!!
Two fish over the 12lb mark!!!!!!
and six huge fish!!!!!!!!!!
Total combined weight of all six fish is an incrediable 58.8lbs!!!!!! God lord. What does the lake have in store for us after Christmas when the fish will be able to rest for a day?!!!!!!!!!!!
Jimmy
To everyone that reads this thread before the holidays! Happy Holidays to all! You guys make this happen and make coming to work so enjoyable for me. I am so extatic to report stuff like this! I mean WOOOOOWWWW what a day!

bluehunter
12-24-2008, 05:48 PM
That is quite impressive. I wanted to go today but had to do some Christmas eve errands. Good job guys, I may swing thru sometime this weekend.

calico killer kevin
12-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Save some for Friday.
Damn!

PONTOON
12-24-2008, 05:55 PM
That is very impressive! Congratulations to everyone especiallly you Omar! Two twelve pounders in one day! I'm fishing next to you next trip to the Vine.:Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:

budman8
12-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Way to go Everybody! Nice Catch!

Omar you deserve that Bro! :UDaMan:

2quikmotorwerks
12-24-2008, 08:42 PM
thanks for the kind comments guys , i tell you what today was a blasti will be back again on friday to hopefully slay again

yamafish
12-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Wow :Shocked:
Just beasts! Nice !
Congratulations !

troutdog
12-24-2008, 09:25 PM
THAT IS AMAZING!!!!:Shocked:

Congrats to all of you guys out there!

You will be hard pressed to find a bigger smile on Omar's face :Big Grin: I am stoked for you dude!!! See you Friday morning.

TD

BassEngineer
12-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Nice fish! It is Christmas time!

Troutman65
12-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Nice going everyone. I got some much needed R&R today. I should of went fishing.:LOL::Confused:

Congrats to you all on the big trout:!!!:

Rooster
12-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Now those gotta be the best gifts one could ask for. Now i know why they call ya 2quick.. You simply are 2quick for those trout, Congrats my freind im damn proud of ya Omar..

johnsfishing
12-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Wow :Shocked:
Just beasts! Nice !
Congratulations !

Couldnt have said that better :Big Grin:

Awesome! & Congratulations.

johnsfishing

Dan_the_Man
12-24-2008, 11:35 PM
The Trout Saint has delivered it's Mana in the form of TROUT de Irvine. !!! Nice work Shanglers...

Koshaw
12-25-2008, 04:28 AM
Great job guys! That is simply incredible :D

You folx got nice gifts from the vine in the way of trout ;D

I may be out there Sunday...

Merry Holidays all!!!

richaaron
12-25-2008, 07:06 AM
How do those fish even swim with those tails....?

2quikmotorwerks
12-25-2008, 07:15 AM
How do those fish even swim with those tails....?They swim just fine these things are still freight trains they have a s--t load of power

violenthelm
12-25-2008, 07:25 AM
How do those fish even swim with those tails....?

They swim in circles at the launch ramp! Ha ha!! Those guys haven't moved in almost a week. Same place Team Phenix was killing them over the weekend at the tournament. Still a lot of lunkers left it looks like. I'll bet that spot will be crowded this weekend! Fish with no tails,what will they think of next?

kewlwhip
12-25-2008, 08:07 AM
man, when i came to visit...i wish i had brought my gear...WAY TO GO OMAR, what a great xmas fishing present to land do DDs!! I remember when we were at Holy Jims messin around and i get the call...kewly, i got another DD...i immediately said "we're turning around!"...got to the lake, and Omars icechest could barely close. What a blessing, and slay of slabs! My first time this season seeing these DD trout...and the hookjaw that the other buddy got was awesome...wish i had my camera, i took some cel shots when they caught there fishies...

anyways merry christmas slayers- see ya soon!

kewlwhip
12-25-2008, 08:13 AM
They swim in circles at the launch ramp! Ha ha!! Those guys haven't moved in almost a week. Same place Team Phenix was killing them over the weekend at the tournament. Still a lot of lunkers left it looks like. I'll bet that spot will be crowded this weekend! Fish with no tails,what will they think of next?
Kinda swim in circles like the way you hate on their catch...following the leads of wrong..Right on mr know it all, lol...Why you guys tryna hate on these guys for doing what makes anyone happy- bet you'd be just as happy if you could land some DD's, but whatever- I'd take a DD over a single digit anyday....head to sierras or maybe dvl for some tail, cool guys... NE ways, keep it up Omar and gang- lines tight, no matter WHERE you are fishin, congrats on landing fish...haters will always be jealous-nothin new.

merry christmas, and happy prosperous new year..looks like huggys and friends are already starting their prosperous trout year! ahahaah...

FISHSTIX
12-25-2008, 10:53 AM
that is just awesome, DD mania out there. you guys were blessed by the fish gods with some magnificent christmas catches....lunker ,lunker, lunker, lunker.....incredibly AWESOME!!...congrats to you guyS:Beer Toast:

crappie stalker
12-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Great catches fellas.. Omar you are the MANNNN!!! Way to go on a double double.. That is the catch of a lifetime.. That will be a conversation piece for life.. MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone and have a Great NEW YEAR..

CS

KEL40
12-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Who says that the vine doesn't kick out big fish!! That's awesome guys great job out there!! Maybe one day I will have an epic fishing day like you guys.I should be out there Monday or Saturday if I can't wait!!

Mr Bendo
12-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Congrats Omar!!!!!!!!!!! Nice work and merry christmas

dirty girl
12-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Here's a little peekaboo at Omar's magical moment. His first DD was chillin in his cooler when FisherBrat and I got there. This was his afternoon DD. http://s735.photobucket.com/albums/ww358/dirtygirlfishing/?action=view&current=DSCN1501.flv Omar, you're a rock star! :Big Grin:

It was fun watching you guys in action yesterday. Nice meeting ya Fred, Richard and Kewlie ~ So whatcha doing at Holy Jim's (one of my running hangouts....) ~ and great seeing you again Dr. Hook and Team Phenix Bob.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah everyone!

keepin' it dirty,
Dirty Girl and FisherBrat

troutdog
12-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Here's a little peekaboo at Omar's magical moment. His first DD was chillin in his cooler when FisherBrat and I got there. This was his afternoon DD. http://s735.photobucket.com/albums/ww358/dirtygirlfishing/?action=view&current=DSCN1501.flv Omar, you're a rock star! :Big Grin:

It was fun watching you guys in action yesterday. Nice meeting ya Fred, Richard and Kewlie ~ So whatcha doing at Holy Jim's (one of my running hangouts....) ~ and great seeing you again Dr. Hook and Team Phenix Bob.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah everyone!

keepin' it dirty,
Dirty Girl and FisherBrat

That video is classic XY, thanks for sharing it! Omar's reaction after the fish gets netted (with 33 secs to go) is PRICELESS!!!!! :ROFL:

TD

SD Pirate
12-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Does any body know how the bite was on the 24th were the little guy's biteing to?also was every one at the launch ramp??

Bebop
12-25-2008, 06:24 PM
yes their were small size trout and big trout bitiing but the big ones loved the night crawlers
but wait from friday after xmas and beyound you can catch even more we saw the stocking of fish at 3:30 wowwwww. i wont be able to fish this weekend, but I bet their will be some weekend stories

SD Pirate
12-25-2008, 08:47 PM
what day did they stock at 3:30?

kewlwhip
12-25-2008, 09:40 PM
that video that dirtygirl posted up is perfect showing how Omar made it look easy, and Bob went into the cold water with just his sneakers, whatta net man-i need a netman lolz...he had this look on his face like he was in the Omars ice chest like the DD trout were- now that shows it!

we were playin back in the dirt/mud, when omar called us again..then we jumped a few holes, and came back hahahha...

BingJr
12-26-2008, 12:26 AM
Phenom big trout action omar.

You are truly a stud on them trouts.

Youll have to teach me one of these days.

Koontaj
12-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Damm...great job guys. Do you guys use 2lb pound leads on those. Im still getting the hang of it. I have a tendencie of tightening the drag. Any advise on bring those big ones in, instead of just dont tighten the drag?

Granny Fish
12-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Congrats on the DD's everyone. Omar - 2 in one day! You deserve it friend.

Bebop
12-27-2008, 02:56 PM
yeah they stocked it on wednesday, surprisingly not much action for big ones I hear. They will be their sooner or latter. I use only 2 pound test and set my drag by pulling the end of the line till my reel starts release line. If it doesnt then slowly loosen the drag till it starts to release line, then stop. You are good to go.

Troutman65
12-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Damm...great job guys. Do you guys use 2lb pound leads on those. Im still getting the hang of it. I have a tendencie of tightening the drag. Any advise on bring those big ones in, instead of just dont tighten the drag?

A word of advice. Do not tighten your drag when you have a big trout on the end of your line. I did that last year and lost a DD trout that snaped my line. Man was I pissed at myself for doing that. Play the fish out and tire it out and wait. You will land the fish that way. If you get impataint and button down the drag while your horsing the fish in your going to loose it every time. Speaking from experiance.:Wink:

Mondo21
12-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Way to go Guys. Omar congrats! I was planning to go today(Sunday) Armando told me it was too cold to go out there. I will try Monday or Tuesday. Congrats to all! Cindy:Big Grin:

one_leg
12-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Lisa, Bob, Fred, Omar, congrats to you all.

Those are some nice sized trout for this time of the year @ the Vine.