PDA

View Full Version : Quick Dana Harbor fish

ikeman
12-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Hit up Dana Harbor around 4:30 last evening for an hour, as I needed a break from Christmas shopping. Started slow, a small sandie, then as the light got lower, the bite improved dramatically. Ended up with about 7 or 8 bass, mostly small, all sandies except for one calico.
Oh, and a big jacksmelt that I thought was a small 'cuda when I got it in. ( Kyle was saying the Jig Stop said there were scooters in the harbor, so in the dim light and cudas on my mind, I got out my pliers... you know those big jacksmelts can do some damage, Ha, Ha....

There were some big dolphins swimming inside the harbor down the channel, never in all the times fishing there have I seen that, pretty cool going past us in a narrow channel like that.

All caught on 3" Gulp Minnow smelt pattern with a 1/16oz. jig head. By the way, never needed to change the bait at all. I swear by these. This set up can pull some decent size harbor fish also, don't be fooled by the small jig set up, just most were on the small side last evening.

I was joined by two others, Kyle and John, they were dropshotting various basstrix and only got one small sandie in the 40 minutes I fished with them. No bragging, just the Gulps are a great go-to bait when you don't have a lot of time to experiment.

Sorry, no pics as the light was too dim for my cell camera.

All in all, a great stress reliever from the crowds at the mall

I wish everyone on the board and their families, a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Jeff

Wingnut
12-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Sounds like a fun day with lots of action. I like that area, might have to make my way back down there soon. :Wink:
Thanks for the report. :Cool:

BIGRED KILLA
12-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the report sounds like you had a blast out there.

Bigred

ikeman
12-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys. I know I don't post a lot of pictures when I post but I keep a rod in the Tahoe most of the time, and when I can steal an hour or so, that's my fishing.

Happy New Years!!

Wingnut, BigRed, pm me if you are planning to be in the neighborhood anytime.

Jeff