PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Motor Isnt Getting Fuel, Any Suggestions?

Off The Hook
12-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Ok, so my new boat is having a small issue. The boat is a 95 Champion with a Mercury 200 efi outboard out back. The problem I am having is I cannot get any fuel to pump through my primer bulb. I just replaced the bulb, as well as all the fuel lines going from the motor all the way to the fuel distribution block. When I pump the ball nothing comes out. If I hook the primer bulb line directly to the fuel tank (just to check if it is working and not actually running through the motor), It harden up and pumps perfect. So it seems that the problem is something in the distribution block? Once the motor is started though it has no issues pulling fuel all the way to the motor through both the primer bulb and distribution block and runs great. It is just that 1 time initial cold start up where the motor has problems since the primer bulb is not priming the system. Am I missing something here? Does the bulb not prime these EFI motors? I know nothing about these motors and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any tips.

GeordyBass
12-23-2008, 10:48 PM
you should change the part where you connect the fuel on to from the gas tank....i had almost the same problem and changed both the gas line,bulb,and connector system on the gas tank...hope this helps!!!!

hughpam
12-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Some of those pumps and hoses are directional. I had this problem once, and I felt really stupid. I switched the direction of the hose and it worked great.

BingJr
12-24-2008, 01:01 AM
They are definitely directional and even a pin hole in a connector or line will have the primer bulb pumping air and not gas. It needs to be a completely sealed system. All my EFI's had primer bulbs. I remember having a similar problem after installing an inline fuel filter between the bulb and the fuel tank. It was a directional problem.

Off The Hook
12-24-2008, 05:26 AM
Well everything is going the right direction. I am beggiing to this you are right "bassmaster818". I am getting suction from the primer bulb all the way to the distribution block. Now one more question, does the oil use a seperate line that goes to the motor and then mixes oil at the motor or does it mix at the distribution block located in the gas tank area? Could I just run a T fitting off one of the mail fuel lines? I was able to pump fuel from the main line, just not the block. My biggest worry would be running the motor with straight gas and no oil. Does that sound like an option?

GeordyBass
12-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Well everything is going the right direction. I am beggiing to this you are right "bassmaster818". I am getting suction from the primer bulb all the way to the distribution block. Now one more question, does the oil use a seperate line that goes to the motor and then mixes oil at the motor or does it mix at the distribution block located in the gas tank area? Could I just run a T fitting off one of the mail fuel lines? I was able to pump fuel from the main line, just not the block. My biggest worry would be running the motor with straight gas and no oil. Does that sound like an option?NEVER run a 2stroke with NO OIL!!!
You will burn the pistons,break the crankshaft,etc.

You have that oil mixer right???I'm not very familiar with it though.I never thought it was a necessity,more like a luxury.You can pre-mix oil in the gas tank and you'd be fine.Remember,to every 6 gallons,it's 1 pint of oil.Also,try using Mercury's Optimax DFI oil,it's the best oil there is,just a little pricier.

http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/us/mercury-optimax-dfi-2-cycle-outboard-oil-p78.html

Like I said,maybe it's the part on your gas tank where you connect the fuel line?

Hope all this helps!!!

Off The Hook
12-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Geordy, I looked into going with a straight pre mix but there is a little more to it then that. You have to convert the system to work with out the self oil system. I found this site http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/mercuryOilInjection.html which looks as though the oil goes into the injection system just before the fuel enters the motor. It appears that I may be able to bypass the fuel block and run straight to the gas tank. Does that look this way to you?

I did consider doing the pre mix but it requires some modification to the oil pump as well as some lines to do that. I appreciate the tips and it is going to take some time for me to master these dam outboards lo.

Thanks,

Dustin