PDA

View Full Version : Carlsbad to San Onofre 12-22 12-23

Ray Lopez
12-23-2008, 05:34 PM
well since im down in sd for the next 2 weeks i thought i would try my luck with some surf fishing down here.

first place i gave a shot to was Oceanside Harbor to the south end inbetween the jettys. I fished with a LC metallic sardine and worked the shore from jetty to jetty and then back again. I also fished with camo sandworms. I only managed to land 2 barred surf perch, and one that got off as i was about to lift it out of the water. All 3 came off the LC. It was cold raining and windy. Horrible conditions to fish in plus it was low tide.

I then went to ponto beach (so carlsbad beach) i pulled up and it was in the middle of a downpour. The wind was ripping the south east. decided to give it a try. I went down with LC in hand. The surf was huge and in the middle of a storm swell. I fished for about 30 minutes (about all i could take) i didn't get a hit. It was about 2pm and time for me to go to my womans house to dry off.

Then this morning i woke up and to my suprise it was sunny and no chance of rain all day. So about 7am i made my way north to san onofre beach. I got to the beach around 8:30ish. I talk to my buddy wingnut he gave me some tips on where to go. I make the hike down to the beach. I work the LC again the conditions were nice. The high tide was at 6 feet at about 5AM and it was about 4 feet by the time i got there. The beach there is amazingly beautiful. It was empty other then a few random surfers. I work the beach from the 6th trail tower all the way to the 3rd trail tower. About 2 miles total. i didn't even get one hit the whole time. then around 12:30pm the surf told me it was time to go home. The kelp showed in force all along the beach. So i made the hike back and then back up the steep hill. (to all who want to fish san onofre make sure you are in decent shape. It is quite a hike. My legs are killing me right now lol. But other then the skunk today it was beautiful day.

so my adventure in the surf around SD county has only giv'n me 3 perch.

i got next monday and next tuesday to fish. hopefully the fish come out to play.

tight lines

one_leg
12-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Good try R-Lo. I wonder where you will hang your first big fish at down there?

Wingnut
12-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Damn Ray... all that walking & hiking and the Halibut didn't give you any love? :LOL: The Fish Gods owes you one big time. :Wink: Bummer man, but at least you are out there in the surf while I'm stuck here at work. :Neutral:
We should hit the surf together soon, just like the good ol' days. :Cool:

tacklejunkie
12-24-2008, 05:28 AM
Better luck next time man.
That toad you just stuck at the 'goon will make up for any future skunk reports for the entire next year though :LOL:

Ray Lopez
12-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Damn Ray... all that walking & hiking and the Halibut didn't give you any love? :LOL: The Fish Gods owes you one big time. :Wink: Bummer man, but at least you are out there in the surf while I'm stuck here at work. :Neutral:
We should hit the surf together soon, just like the good ol' days. :Cool:
i'm always down bro, just give me a buzz on the celly or on here and if i can make it out i would be glad to fish with ya again. I still have yet to find a perch gold mine like that spot i went with you.

Better luck next time man.
That toad you just stuck at the 'goon will make up for any future skunk reports for the entire next year though :LOL:

true. but im so damn sore right now you have no idea. I had my woman give me a leg massage this morning because i could barley move lol. I feel like an old man today hahaha.

City Dad
12-24-2008, 11:32 AM
so my adventure in the surf around SD county has only giv'n me 3 perch.

... which means that if you keep on lookin' and fishin' you due to find that honey hole soon.

Ray Lopez
12-24-2008, 05:54 PM
... which means that if you keep on lookin' and fishin' you due to find that honey hole soon.

well i only have 2 more days to explore this Monday and Tuesday