PDA

View Full Version : Where to Fish in Highland, CA

gavin310
12-23-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm driving way the hell out to Highland for New Years. New Years day I would love to get in some fishing. What are some good places to fish for trout around there?

CraigH
12-23-2008, 12:36 PM
The lakes in the area around Highland (San Bernardino) are:

Big Bear, about a 45 minute drive (not sure if anything is biting up there)
Glen Helen County Park (around 20 minutes)
Yucaipa County Park (around 30 minutes)
(not sure if any of the county parks are open on new years day)
Diamond Valley (about a 45 minute drive southeast)
Lake Hemet (about an hour drive southeast)

If you're heading back to L.A. along the 10 fwy that day you could also look in to Guasti County Park (Ontario/Rancho area) and Puddingstone.

gavin310
12-23-2008, 01:16 PM
The lakes in the area around Highland (San Bernardino) are:

Big Bear, about a 45 minute drive (not sure if anything is biting up there)
Glen Helen County Park (around 20 minutes)
Yucaipa County Park (around 30 minutes)
(not sure if any of the county parks are open on new years day)
Diamond Valley (about a 45 minute drive southeast)
Lake Hemet (about an hour drive southeast)

If you're heading back to L.A. along the 10 fwy that day you could also look in to Guasti County Park (Ontario/Rancho area) and Puddingstone.

Great info, thanks Craig. Are there any rivers around that area too?

brando123
12-23-2008, 02:18 PM
I live in highland!!!

ddoskocil
12-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Funny...I grew up there, too. Hit up Diamond Valley, they have been stocking lately. Not only can you catch the stockers, but nice holdovers too, and they are stocking trout at 10-plus pounds as well - no joke. They stocked today - should be good. I have only done bass, but I may be hitting this up as well.

gavin310
12-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Funny...I grew up there, too. Hit up Diamond Valley, they have been stocking lately. Not only can you catch the stockers, but nice holdovers too, and they are stocking trout at 10-plus pounds as well - no joke. They stocked today - should be good. I have only done bass, but I may be hitting this up as well.

Nice, thanks for that info. They're closed so they aren't answering the phone... do you know if they'll be open New Years day?

CraigH
12-24-2008, 08:20 AM
I haven't been up there in about 5 years, but the Santa Ana River used to be accessable on Glass Rd. off 38 in the Angelus Oaks area. If it snows they will probably clear hwy 38 but I don't know if they plow Glass Rd.

Koshaw
12-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Just watch out for the weather if you are going up the mountain...

It can go from sunny to rainy to snowy in a heartbeat.

So bring chains/cold weather gear and check noaa.gov for the weather before ya go!

Have a great time and tight lines!

BassinPLS
12-24-2008, 10:48 AM
If you going to be in the Highland area you might try the South Fork of the Santa Ana River. I don't know if you can get into it now due to the snow. Access to it is off of Hwy 138 past Angeles Oaks. There is a forest service road on the left side of Hwy 138, (if yo're heading towards Big Bear Lake), right across from Hart Bar, (?), Camp grounds. Find the camp grounds on a road map and the forest service road is on the northside of Hwy 138. This road parallels the creek and heads back westerly toward Seven Oaks.

I use to hit this steam up on a Saturday morning outing and never seem to fail to get at least 4-5 trout before noon. It is a small stream. Try a salmon egg a split shot and flip the holes on the downstream side of fallen logs.

Just a throught!