PDA

View Full Version : Snakehead in OC Park lakes?

BassEngineer
12-23-2008, 09:29 AM
I saw some guy pull this out of a local lake in the OC...he thought it was a snake head so he called DFG. I had to leave so I don't know what happened.

I hope its not a snakehead!?!?! It had teeth like a snakehead...
Does anyone know what kind of fish this is?

:EyePop:

NICKYMOUSE8
12-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Whoa which lake in o.c did that come out of if you don't mind me asking.SCARY ugly fish,I never seen anything like that around!

one_leg
12-23-2008, 09:53 AM
That fish looks like Blinky's cousin to me.

Someone prolly let their pet Freshwater Sculpin go and it mated with a bullhead.

goodguy
12-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Doesn't quite look like a snakehead... Looks like some kind of relative of sculpin...

dean070
12-23-2008, 10:19 AM
is that the lake balboa turd fish?

have they migrated

that is a nasty looking fish whatever it is

BassEngineer
12-23-2008, 11:38 AM
The fish was nasty...it looked sick also. It had red patches all over its belly. It's the 3rd fish I've seen come out of the lake with the red patches.

gallogg
12-23-2008, 11:45 AM
I showed the pix to my boss (who's Korean)
And, he said it looks like snakeheads in Korea.

Dang!

Sammy

City Dad
12-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Dude, that's got to be the all-tackle record freshwater sculpin! I wonder if he ate it or had it mounted.

matt duarte
12-23-2008, 12:11 PM
well lets see heres a fresh water sclupin
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/fs.jpg
and heres a snakehead
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/sh.jpg

goodguy
12-23-2008, 12:16 PM
I showed the pix to my boss (who's Korean)
And, he said it looks like snakeheads in Korea.

Dang!

Sammy

You good be right... What do I know???

Most snakeheads I've seen have a different looking mouth than that.
I sure hope it isn't a snakehead! That's a bad sign for whatever lake that is...

VineAssist
12-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Looks like a freshwater sculpin to me. But that thing is huge if it is!

one_leg
That second pic that Matt posted is from the Snakehead 500 race that is held every fall in Atlanta Georgia.
They race them 500 feet and then they eat them once they have all crossed the finish line.

goodguy
well lets see heres a fresh water sclupin
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/fs.jpg
and heres a snakehead
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/sh.jpg

See the mouth is what makes me say it isn't a snakehead... Snakeheads have one that seems to stretch farther to each side... The sculpin's is smaller and actually had what looks like lips, snakehead not so much... But like I said wtf do I know...

tama16
12-23-2008, 01:11 PM
i don't see any teeth!!!

BassEngineer
12-23-2008, 01:21 PM
After seeing the sculpin' pic I would have to concur..that is the fish that I saw. That little one Matt is holding is kinda cute and cuddly....the one I saw was nasty and ugly.
The question is, how did it get there? and are they a threat to the lake?

i don't see any teeth!!!
I opened its mouth and there were a lot of nasty little teeth in there!

See the mouth is what makes me say it isn't a snakehead... Snakeheads have one that seems to stretch farther to each side... The sculpin's is smaller and actually had what looks like lips, snakehead not so much... But like I said wtf do I know...
"Lips" for sure...when I was trying to open its mouth (with hemostats) I had trouble finding it because the "lips" threw me off!

GeordyBass
12-23-2008, 01:22 PM
it's a Trip!!

Looks like a northern snakehead,sculpin,or a hybrid???
WTF!!!

I don't want those POS here...if it does happen,i'm gonna be in a killing spree!!!I'll brutally bash em' on the heads and dump them in a ditch...lol...:Twisted::Twisted::Twisted:

tacklejunkie
12-23-2008, 01:52 PM
It's a right-side-up fresh water halibut! Good eats! :Wink:

Granny Fish
12-23-2008, 02:56 PM
It looks like a really big skulpin to me. Snakehead fish look a lot different.

pwynn
12-23-2008, 03:22 PM
that is a marble goby.........some dude had it in his tank and it started eating everything so he tossed it in the lake

DarkShadow
12-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Another responsible pet owner...

one_leg
12-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Oooohhhh look at the cool blue looking flesh in that Goby's mouth.

Maybe it was a freshwater Lingcod or cabezon.

He should have eaten it, I bet it tasted good in spite of the sores and scabies one it.

GeordyBass
12-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Another responsible pet owner...nah, i bet it was a "ritual"...lol...

one_leg
12-23-2008, 04:34 PM
If that was the same fish that the guy let go it should serve as an example of why you shouldn't let pets go in a non-native envoronment. The poor thing had probably been suffering horribly ever since it was liberated from its nice cozy home. Look at the thing!!! It has sores all over it and its right eye looks like it was bulging out. It is better off dead, and the lake is better off for it not being in there.

GeordyBass
12-23-2008, 05:42 PM
If that was the same fish that the guy let go it should serve as an example of why you shouldn't let pets go in a non-native envoronment. The poor thing had probably been suffering horribly ever since it was liberated from its nice cozy home. Look at the thing!!! It has sores all over it and its right eye looks like it was bulging out. It is better off dead, and the lake is better off for it not being in there.conservation_leg...:LOL:

KaliDawgFan
12-24-2008, 06:39 AM
looks kind of like a midshipman

http://ww2.coastal.edu/richard/Ichthyology/images/midshipman.jpg

City Dad
12-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Oooohhhh look at the cool blue looking flesh in that Goby's mouth.

Maybe it was a freshwater Lingcod or cabezon.

He should have eaten it, I bet it tasted good in spite of the sores and scabies one it.

In some cultures scabies are considered delicasies - especially the pus filled ones. (PM me for myPoached Mine Tailings Tumors recipie)

crappie stalker
12-24-2008, 02:54 PM
that is a marble goby.........some dude had it in his tank and it started eating everything so he tossed it in the lake
Looks like this one is thee
winner. marble goby

cs

SalesCall
12-24-2008, 03:23 PM
I had one in my aquarium for a while and eventually killed it after it eventually ate and/or killed everything else. They just don't stop growing and eat virtually anything. Nasty creatures that can be bought at tropical fish stores.

SalesCall
12-24-2008, 03:29 PM
It is a Goby. My local (Vietnamese) fish store owner called it a Stonefish or Goby. I haven't had it or thought about it in some time, but that's it.

reaktion4
12-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Looks like a Marbled Goby to me!!

EastCoaster
12-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Yea that fish is def not a snakehead. I moved from MD a year ago, and we had an outbreak of snakeheads one year there, and I have seen about 5 or 6 different snakeheads, and that is def not one of them....

Senor Rambone
12-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Kill all snakeheads!!!

buttflyzzz
12-28-2008, 05:29 AM

dude i think your right i have a sand goby about a foot long and looks alot like that. but he looks old and sick

smokinflies
12-28-2008, 11:09 AM

Last week I seen a family with a white bucket, dump something into the north lake of Legg Lake:Crying:. They got out of their vehicle carrying a bucket. Walked to the lake shore and dumped something into the lake. Then threw the bucket away, and started feeding the ducks. And about a month ago my primo and I seen some cholo dump something into Peck Pit. The cholo rolled up on a bike to the back section of the pit with a bucket. Dumped whatever was in the bucket into the pit. Watch it drift or swim away and then took off.

Simplyeman
12-28-2008, 01:11 PM
looks like a black sea bass to me:BabbleFish: