PDA

View Full Version : Help me I making lures

floater73
12-23-2008, 07:24 AM
So I got it in my head if I can make flies then I can make regular lures, so I get some balsa wood and start shaping. Below is a picture of what I have come up with. It did not take long to get to this point, don't laugh. I know that they don't look like much but it is what I have so far.
I am next going to paint them starting with a white base.
So my question after the painting do I epoxy the lures or is there a secret that I don't know about, any infoo wood be help full thanks.

"set the hook"

SoCalGuy7
12-23-2008, 08:17 AM
PM sent,

It should go Sealer,Primer,Paint, and Top Coat. The top coat can be a variety of different applications everyone has their favorite.

Good Luck.

tacklejunkie
12-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Nice looking baits.
Have you weighted them on the bottom yet? Just wondering, as you may need some to keep them from turning over on the retrieve when they wobble.

I have had success sealing small baits with minwax clear wood sealer in the blue can at ace hardware. You have to spin it when while it's drying though. It is thin and runny until it sets up. Then you can sand and paint, then seal it with a few more coats.
It's quite the lengthy process. An easier way is to paint as SG7 said above and then slather some Devcon 2-Ton 30 minute epoxy on there and spin it as well.

trail blazer
12-23-2008, 02:34 PM
That one in the middle would make a great duct lure for stripers,,,,,,,6 1/2 in long and white would be perfect

NICE JOB BRO!!!!!!!!!