PDA

View Full Version : Trout tails?

old pudd fisher
12-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Just wondered why do some trouts have a small tail fin on them sometimes,I see that a lot it looks like their sick or something?:EyePop:

SteveH
12-23-2008, 04:55 AM
2 reasons I know of.
1. Trout farms use top tail cutting in counting fish.
2. The stockers are raised in runs that have cement bottoms. Months of swimmimg in these runs wears down the bottom of the tail fin.
PS - Most the larger models would never be caught by all the dopes fishing 2 pound test if tails weren't cut. So, the hatcheries are keeping their futures alive by releasing catchable (to the general public) fish.

City Dad
12-23-2008, 07:40 AM
This questions seems like the "Did Richard Gere stick a gerble you-know-where or didn't he?" question.

Get ready for a bunch of "Well, I know a guy who's brother worked at a trout hatchery and I can tell you for sure.... blah, blah, blah and blah..."

Southern Cali's pay lakes offer the best shot anywhere in the lower forty-eight of hooking into a DD hatchery trout, period. They are purchased from a hatchery and placed in the lakes. To some folks this is not too dissimilar to shooting fish in a barrel - to other folks it is the epitome of the sport fishing. (I personally feel a deep and profound sense of indifference to the matter.)

Anyhow, tails and adipose fins get cut by hatcheries for counting and or id purposes - that much is established fact. As far as tails being worn on the bottom or runs or being removed to make them easier for anglers to land, that, like the status of Richard's starfish, will probably (and arguabley for the best) remain a mystery forever.

and oh, yeah, all triploids are hatchery fish - there is no such thing as a wild triploid.

seal
12-23-2008, 08:45 AM
I have been very curious about this question also, and have heard most of what has been printed so far. Wish Mt Lassen or somebody would own up to it and let us know. Heck we know it's a truth (non existent tails) and yet still fish for them so why not let us know and fulfill our curiosity.

I don't think that this curiosity is equivalent to a Richard Gere story though, really don't want to know the truth about that one. Although a buddy of mine has a friend that's married to a nurse that was there when, oh never mind.....

basscatcher
12-23-2008, 09:42 AM
well if you notice when they first stock trout from the hatchery thier tails are small. in the hatchery trout dont have a lot ofwater to move in due to the other trout. so when they get in a bigger lake with more water to move thier tails start to get bigger. they adapt to thier enviorment.

God Bless

basscatcher

Granny Fish
12-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Bloody stump tails.... that's what happens to Tailwalker's when they do too much walking. :Wink:

old pudd fisher
12-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the reply everyone it makes sense to me.

tpfishnfool
12-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Message to all.... There is no such thing as To Much Tail !!!!