PDA

View Full Version : Tournament this weekend

mobilereef
12-22-2008, 04:45 PM
There seems to be some confussion regarding this weekend...in particular Saturday, over the spot by the boat launch, so I thought that I would post what I saw with my own eyes on behalf of the Irvine Staff.

I came to the lake to camp at 6pm friday night with my RV to try to learn how to fish a tournament. I was up like everyone else trying to get near the docs and launch ramp where the large fish tend to hold out. I did not know the rules, and set out my table and chair and rods holders in the spot closest to the ramp only to have the team phenix guys tell me that I would be disqualified if the staff saw me do that. I then removed all of the gear and waited with those guys who were very nice to me, and even helped me with some fishing tips. Once security drove the shore and did his rounds, he signaled with his flashing lights, we all ran down and set up according to who got there first. I had 4 in the rv and they had four or five, so that pretty much tied up the area.

Sorry to all of the guys that did not have as much LUCK as I did this weekend, but there was quite a bit of stress that came along with fishing with that many lines packed in a small area. So I think we all payed our dues (ie...28 degree weather all night and competing with incredible fisherman)

I have only been fishing for one year and was able to chance into a 8th place, and a 3rd place finish just by getting there early and being respectful to the "pros". You should have been there, I learned a ton of good info.

Better luck in the next one,

Chris

MAVERICK27
12-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for giving us that story, we appreciate it. It just didn't seem "sporting" it was like five guys fishing in a stocked pond while the rest of the 100 some odd people watched through a window. I'm not saying it was thier fault or that they didnt brave the weather and earn it...it just was still not a fair sporting event.

Imagine the frustration for some of us. I'm very very easy going and I was getting tired of seeing the same guys hooking up in the same area, while nobody else was. As for paying our dues...I have fished this lake 2-3 times per week for months leading up to this. This is my home lake and I have worked hard to prepare for this tourney.....none of that mattered....all the fish were in one 30 ft radius of a HUGE lake....

Thanks for your honesty and great job catching some nice fish!!!!

Manny
12-22-2008, 05:32 PM
The problem was those deformed fish, all they could do is swim in a circle..:ROFL: You know what I mean Mav, I saw yours. All the smaller fish spread out.

MAVERICK27
12-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Haha, you may be right..mine could only swim straight, but only had the thrust to carry him 4 inches per hour haha

Rooster
12-22-2008, 05:35 PM
They really need to do something about people fishing so close to the launch ramp. If boats have buoy lines we cant go in front of, They should have something as well to keep them off our Launch Ramp!
For safety reasons alone :Shocked: At the very least, cone off 6 feet of the area on Tournament days.

one_leg
12-22-2008, 05:41 PM
I am not asking you to tell me anything secret. We know where you guys were fishing at.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the hot bait/jig/lure for you this weekend?

I know it is possible to construct a large enough pontoon boat to carry a stocking truck out into the middle of the lake. That way they could dump them all over the place. Open the throttle and then open the valve on the truck. But they would have to pass the cost on to us anglers, and I don't see that ever happening. :Crying:

I will never get to fish that spot because I don't stand a chance in a foot race against the guys that were fishing the ramp this weekend.

Congrats to you on placing in the Masters event and winning all that money.

joedaplumber
12-22-2008, 06:10 PM
They really need to do something about people fishing so close to the launch ramp. If boats have buoy lines we cant go in front of, They should have something as well to keep them off our Launch Ramp!
For safety reasons alone :Shocked: At the very least, cone off 6 feet of the area on Tournament days.

excellent point
:Applause:
:UDaMan:
:Not Worthy:

no more truck chasers @ the ramp : AMEN

yamafish
12-22-2008, 07:14 PM
There seems to be some confussion regarding this weekend...in particular Saturday, over the spot by the boat launch, so I thought that I would post what I saw with my own eyes on behalf of the Irvine Staff.

I came to the lake to camp at 6pm friday night with my RV to try to learn how to fish a tournament. I was up like everyone else trying to get near the docs and launch ramp where the large fish tend to hold out. I did not know the rules, and set out my table and chair and rods holders in the spot closest to the ramp only to have the team phenix guys tell me that I would be disqualified if the staff saw me do that. I then removed all of the gear and waited with those guys who were very nice to me, and even helped me with some fishing tips. Once security drove the shore and did his rounds, he signaled with his flashing lights, we all ran down and set up according to who got there first. I had 4 in the rv and they had four or five, so that pretty much tied up the area.

Sorry to all of the guys that did not have as much LUCK as I did this weekend, but there was quite a bit of stress that came along with fishing with that many lines packed in a small area. So I think we all payed our dues (ie...28 degree weather all night and competing with incredible fisherman)

I have only been fishing for one year and was able to chance into a 8th place, and a 3rd place finish just by getting there early and being respectful to the "pros". You should have been there, I learned a ton of good info.

Better luck in the next one,

Chris

I'm glad you did well in the tourney. Additionally, I am more happy that you received some quality fishing techinques from the amazing Team Phenix. Perhaps they taught you some of the deeper intricacies they very well have mastered.
ie: The pole & fish pass techinque :LOL:

Congrats,
Rodger - YamaFish

Marley
12-22-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm happy that you had a great time, learned something and placed in the derby. All positive things that will keep you interested in teh sport for a long time, and you will only get better beause of it.
How some ever, I flatly and vehemently disagree with the lake's policy of allowing campers to set up before the second car gets through the gate, especially in a big money event like this where there are one or two spots that those big fish will hang ever so briefly. It's a no-win situation for the lake, I know, and short of not allowing camping (a sweet touch that needs to stay exactly how it is,) there's really not much that can be done.

mobilereef
12-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Good point one leg...I think the only fair thing to do is plant the fish in different areas and make sure there is no leaks on where the fish plant was. If you see me out there in my little camo boat that looks like a bathtub with a big fat guy in it...come say hi.

mobilereef
12-22-2008, 08:24 PM
It was good meeting you out there at the raffle as well. It was pretty crazy watching these guys and how the used the gigs and drop shot so well. I was watching close and it seemed to me that they were just a step ahead of everyone around in not only technique, but equipment as well! As for the way they moved in and out of the water with waders to avoid all of the lines...rarely tangling up, all while fighting huge fish on 2 pound test, it was pretty cool to see. I know what you are saying about it being your home lake and fishing it two times a week or more to get ready for the tournament, because I was doing that as well. I used none of the technique that I had been practicing (bait) and just tried to mimic wat they were doing with the drop shot, and wham!!! I was on a 8.6# fish. They netted the fish for me in a very comfortable way as well. Soon enough I had caught another 8# fish, and the next day that 10.6# fish...neither of which were caught by the boat launch area, and both on drop shots or jigs. I guess what I am saying is dont be afraid to come up to the pros and talk to them...that is what I did, and they were super cool to me.

I hope to c you out there. Look for the little camo boat that looks like a bathtub with seats

Chris

BingJr
12-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Rather than stocking fish next time, just do a raffle for people who get to fish in the stock truck itself, rather than having all the mess of 100 people trying to fish in a dough boy sized pool.

MAVERICK27
12-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the insight, I would love to talk to you and see what the great etchniquies you learned were. Fishing is an ever-evolving sport and I need to keep up with it. Thanks for being cool enough to post all of this on here. My only negative point was the monopoly on that spot and that is was where the stocking was...it killed the event for most who entered. All in the past now, chalk it up to learning that its not a pro event and therefor will not be run like one. Next time, let's hook up and say hello to each other! Congrats on your killer fishing weekend!

Mondo21
12-23-2008, 09:46 AM
The problem was those deformed fish, all they could do is swim in a circle..:ROFL: You know what I mean Mav, I saw yours. All the smaller fish spread out.

Deformed? How? Having no tail? What do you mean?:Confused: Cindy

fishbone
12-23-2008, 10:10 AM
EASY! no camping before a tourney, problem solved.

Granny Fish
12-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Congrats to you on catching your two money fish and hopefully a place in the Masters Tourney. :Cool:

I wasn't there, but last year it was the same way at the launch ramp. It don't take much skill to hook up there. The skill comes in landing it with boats coming in, lines everywhere and the dock nearby.

If you guys want to to get the fish to move, just do a few doughnuts at the ramp while taking the boat out. :Wink:

mobilereef
12-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Thats what Patrick did on Sunday with the security boat and it spread them out a bit. My thought is this though...I work in the fish biz, and I know for a fact if you start doing donuts around freshly planted fish (sluggish, and dazed) they will sit near the surface and not move out of the way an get killed. If they have had 24 hours to acclimate, that would work.

FISHNFOOL9
12-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Hey Mobilereef/Chris,,,,,,,, Way to man up and post here about the Irvine Lake problem(or so called problem).

The real problem here is Irvine Lake. They need to get control of there stocking program during a tournament. My vote is to stock 3-4 days before the date and close the lake till tournament day. That way the fish can spread out. Also stock the lake in different spots.

We know Irvine will never close the lake., they are in business to make money. A closed lake makes no money.
Stop and think about what you spend to fish there.

For those of you in boats, you have the whole damn lake to fish. The shore fisherman have a 20' spot. Go fish the lake in your boat.

Chris, you did nothing wrong. Great job on out smarting the fish and the so called Irvine Lake social club.

MAVERICK27
12-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Who is the Irvine Lake social club? I didn't see anyone knocking Chris at all...He did great!

Rooster
12-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Who is the Irvine Lake social club? I didn't see anyone knocking Chris at all...He did great!
I think he means you :ROFL:

MAVERICK27
12-23-2008, 01:04 PM
He meant you..for fishing right off the boat docks, who the hell told you to do that? :)

olfishergal
12-23-2008, 03:10 PM
The best way to have your suggestions for improvements in tournaments made is to PM the management ie Vineline with what you saw, ie snagging, C&R of smaller fish etc., or other suggestions. Let's respect each other here. Of course this is MHO :Neutral:

MAVERICK27
12-23-2008, 03:18 PM
I was playing with Rob...I told him to park there, he did well there haha...Good looking out OFG!! Notice the smiley :)

olfishergal
12-23-2008, 03:24 PM
yah I noticed, but, only way to improve the conditions is to let the staff know what you observed. I know I did and in a PM so perhaps they can handle some of the issues especially hogging the boat ramp and having more staff available when there is money on the line. I know several people who would volunteer in say exchange for a couple of passes to be used another day. Just an idea......OFG :Razz:

MAVERICK27
12-23-2008, 03:31 PM
I like the 3pm weigh in idea..the bite comes back in right about 2-230 ish. So you miss out on some good fishing. I also volunteered for some of that work as a matter of fact. I sure have the resume for it...

one_leg
12-23-2008, 03:34 PM
If they're not able to stock fish at random locations throughout the lake, I suppose they could place an official weigh-in station along the shore right next to the ramp where the fish were stocked so that they could weigh fish in as they come in from the boats. That way there would be no chance whatsoever of anyone fishing the recently stocked area as there would always be someone there to prevent it from happening. And that would probably reduce the number of people hauling buns to the weigh-in station.

I am aware that this would result in the shore anglers protesting that this is unfair to them, and that the boaters would have a better chance of landing a monster fish. Some places along the shore hold practically no fish and others are swarming with trout. Rainbow trout are a schooling fish and will be found in large concentrations at times. That is why people end up hooking up one after another along the shoreline at times. They can often be seen in a huge ring circling the same spot over and over. It is easy to catch a limit at these times if they are in a biting mood, and sight fishing for the big ones is a viable option. Toss something in front of the fish and BAM!!! a nearly instant hookup is often the result.

It is my personal opinion that the weigh in should be at 3 pm not at 2 pm.

It is a good thing my opinions never count for anything.

mobilereef
12-23-2008, 03:37 PM
As far as why I fished by the launch, I have noticed at several dif lakes...ie...DVL...that the trout all hold out right on the cement for days after the stock, and I noticed at IRVINE that when I launch my boat, I always see a nice fish or two hanging there. That is why I wanted that spot, and also because one of my friends mentioned to me that he has always had luck on launch ramps, so I told him we could go try it out.

I am not feeling attacked here at all, and I am actually very impressed with this forum for not being so cut throat like bloody decks is. I wanted people to know what I saw, and only what I saw. It seemed like people were ripping team Phenix a bit, and I saw them plain old ripping the fish and the tournament up!

Take care, and I am pretty sure Friday is on for the vine fishing if you are off

MAVERICK27
12-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks Chris. That's why I ONLY post and read here. People are generally very very cool here. In my book, you fit right in. Thanks for your insight...I'm still waiting for my PM on you new jig techniques ;)

mobilereef
12-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Lets just go fish and I will show you...you bring the beer, I bring the boat!

MAVERICK27
12-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Deal...its not hard to get me to go fishing!!

muskyman
12-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Man I am so glad I bailed outta calif !

Hitts0n
12-23-2008, 04:26 PM
:Finger::Beer Toast::Beer Toast::Popcorn::Popcorn::Popcorn: =)

MAVERICK27
12-23-2008, 04:36 PM
You crack me up HItts...

Bebop
12-23-2008, 05:09 PM
good job on qualifing in the masters. Saturday I was fishing away from the docs and I still caught an eight pounder but did not qualify till Sunday and I am 60 years old and it is hard for me to run fast and that nice man Chris put one rod holder near the orange cone for me. Yes that is a hot spot but the security gaurd circled 30 times around the boat dock with his boat to discourage the fish from the fisherman. I am surprised that he didnt kill some of those huge fish. I still managed to hook on an eleven pounder at 7:45 in the morning on a dropshot with an orange and yellow plastic worm at 8 to 10 inches from the bottom. Fish will be either close to the bottom or right on the top after it rains. I tried alot of different jigs till the fish hit that bright jig as i moved it slowely and stopped it. I quit fishing for the rest of the day and let someone else to use my spot. I qualified like you chris thanks again.
I had a wonderful day

Granny Fish
12-23-2008, 05:47 PM
:Finger::Beer Toast::Beer Toast::Popcorn::Popcorn::Popcorn: =)

Ditto on the beer and popcorn... will it never end? I don't understand why everyone is making such a fuss.

FISHNFOOL9
12-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Mav, my post was in no way of attacking you. The social club is a few shore regulars who think they own the lake. They know who they are. I fish/or fished Irvine all the time. Over the past 2 years i dont go there as often because of the A-HOLES i am talking about.
Irvine has had tournaments for years and they still dont understand or listen to the fisherman / there money makers. Fishing by the ramp has "always" been the hot spot after a plant, its not new news. Someday they will wake up and close the ramp area to fishing.
Why after years and years do they still allow fishing there? I dont run the lake so i dont have the answer.

Here are a few ideas:
1. stock 3-5 days before the tournament date
2. close the lake to all fishing during this time
3. only allow entry to the lake on tournament day to registered people in the tournament
4. charge $50.00 to fish, this includes entry fee's
5. clearly mark "NO FISHING AREAS"- ramp or anywhere else.
6. have more then 2 or 3 people on the water / shore watching & checking for rule breakers.
7. allow only 1 pole in the water per fishierman, yes just like Bass fishing(side note: last year the guy next to me had 4 poles in the water)
8. have pre registration, close it after the # of people they choose has been reached.
9. have a start & ending time.
10 enforce the rules!!!!

Irvine Lake has a awesome crew working there, they just need more help. Its been this way for years and years.

Just my 2 cents,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

MAVERICK27
12-24-2008, 09:47 AM
No worries, I was messing with Rob. I hear ya...food for thought for the next tourney....I probably won't enter. I'll just go sit in a cove and relax and have a beer!! :)