PDA

View Full Version : G-Loomis Rods

fishindude
12-22-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm planning to buy one of the G-Loomis rods soon. Can anyone help me decide which model is best for me? Planning not to spend more than $250. Target fish species are usually striper, largemouth, smallmouth. Going to pair this rod with the new Sahara 3000.

DarkShadow
12-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Sahara 3000?

What pound test are you gonna be using on it most of the time?

I think a Sahara 3000 might be a tad large for smallmouth and largemouth fishing, but it will handle other species well.

At 250, you're looking at an IMX model. Off the top of my head, I'd go with a SJR844S. SJR843S if you're looking for a lighter action.

fishindude
12-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Sahara 3000?

What pound test are you gonna be using on it most of the time?

I think a Sahara 3000 might be a tad large for smallmouth and largemouth fishing, but it will handle other species well.

At 250, you're looking at an IMX model. Off the top of my head, I'd go with a SJR844S. SJR843S if you're looking for a lighter action.

Usually, I'll use 6 lb P-Line. Mainly, I like 6'6 rods. Which action is better preferred among you guys. Light or medium on these G-Loomis rods? Maximum sinker weight I use is 1/2 oz. for dropshots. Darkshadow, how much does the SJR844S model cost? What is it good for?

DarkShadow
12-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Ok, well, first, the Sahara 3000 is waaaay too oversized for 6# test. I know guys that use the 750 for 6# test.

I thought you'd be fishing 10 at the minimum, but I'd really use a 2500 if you were going to fish 6, and I personally would use the 1000 size. I think the Sahara carries 140 yards of 10#...you'd be getting like 230 yards of 6# test, and that's a lot of wasted line.

If you're fishing with 6# test, the recommendations I made are waaay to heavy, as they are based my assumptions you'd be fishing the recommended size line for the 3000.

If you're fishing six, here are my suggestions in the 7 foot models...I rarely fish with 6'6" anymore, I prefer the 7" for various reasons.

IMX PR842S ... MSRP $265
GL3 PR842S ... MSRP $215

That's infamous "Popping Rod," designed for tossing popping cork rigs on light lines on the flats. In essence, this is a medium rated drop shot rod...Ex Fast tip, strong back bone, 7 foot size to get leverage on fish, but still have enough shock absorption with the light line. Can be used with lines as heavy as 10#.

If you prefer a slightly slower action, go with a:

GL3 SJR842S ... MSRP $200

This is like the GL3 above, only that the blank is slightly faster.

NOW, if you want my opinion on other rods....

Try a Powell 703 MEF and try it out with the Sahara. You'll be paying $139 for the rod.

or

Try a Dobyns 703SXF...you'll be paying $169.

GeordyBass
12-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Ok, well, first, the Sahara 3000 is waaaay too oversized for 6# test. I know guys that use the 750 for 6# test.

I thought you'd be fishing 10 at the minimum, but I'd really use a 2500 if you were going to fish 6, and I personally would use the 1000 size. I think the Sahara carries 140 yards of 10#...you'd be getting like 230 yards of 6# test, and that's a lot of wasted line.

If you're fishing with 6# test, the recommendations I made are waaay to heavy, as they are based my assumptions you'd be fishing the recommended size line for the 3000.

If you're fishing six, here are my suggestions in the 7 foot models...I rarely fish with 6'6" anymore, I prefer the 7" for various reasons.

IMX PR842S ... MSRP $265
GL3 PR842S ... MSRP $215

That's infamous "Popping Rod," designed for tossing popping cork rigs on light lines on the flats. In essence, this is a medium rated drop shot rod...Ex Fast tip, strong back bone, 7 foot size to get leverage on fish, but still have enough shock absorption with the light line. Can be used with lines as heavy as 10#.

If you prefer a slightly slower action, go with a:

GL3 SJR842S ... MSRP $200

This is like the GL3 above, only that the blank is slightly faster.

NOW, if you want my opinion on other rods....

Try a Powell 703 MEF and try it out with the Sahara. You'll be paying $139 for the rod.

or

Try a Dobyns 703SXF...you'll be paying $169.
Thats True DarkShadow!

You may also wanna save some $$$(pay $169) and buy A Shimano 7'2" or 6'8" Crucial DropShot Rod Medium Heavy action so you wont be underpowered....lol....

Also,with a Sahara 3000 you may wanna use 8-12lb. test Seaguar Fluorocarbon line,$20 but lasts 5x more depending on how much you use it...

bsp
12-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Usually, I'll use 6 lb P-Line. Mainly, I like 6'6 rods. Which action is better preferred among you guys. Light or medium on these G-Loomis rods? Maximum sinker weight I use is 1/2 oz. for dropshots. Darkshadow, how much does the SJR844S model cost? What is it good for?

What DarkShadow said about 6lb is dead on. A 3000 is definite overkill and will throw off the balance on any dropshot rod. Check out a 2500 size if you are going to use 6#.

I'd go with a DSR820S ($250) if you want a "true" G.Loomis dropshot rod, but the Popping Cork rods will work well too.

If you want to try other brands, the Phenix Ultra MBX 7' light is a good choice. Lamiglas's SR743S is also another popular model for 6lb.

fishindude
12-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Thank you guys for the replies. Ok, the problem now is that I already have the Sahara 3000 for a few months. I understand that the line is a issue but I don't really mind. Any other rods that are good for what I have now?

Fastfish
12-22-2008, 06:15 PM
I have a IMX SJR782 and a Stradic 4000 low useage in fact very little useage at all I'm gonna list any day now just have'nt gotten around to it yet I want $100 for the rig now B4 you get to excited this is a true true Tennessee handle were the reels is taped onto the handle no sliding rings super gr8 rig but alittle bit of a specialty item it was my site fishing rig from when I lived on a small'y up north the stradic has had small amount of tuning done as well its got a Sustain spool on it and comes with the 2 original aluminum spools as well.

Shoot me a eMail and I'll send ya some pic's I'll try and post the rig in the next day or 2

PM or eMail but ya gotta eMail if ya want pic's

fastfish11@yahoo.com Fastfish/Geoff

tpfishnfool
12-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Loomis is good but overated and over priced. The phenix line of rods are top notch and a little bit cheaper. Check em out.. The Loomis drop shot rod is sweet though..

Headhunter
12-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I really like St Croix....very, very high quality. You can feel it in the rod when you hold it. Just really good stuff.

I also think that G Loomis is overrated, and overpriced, but I can't argue with those who really like them. They are good rods; I just think that St Croix makes a better product.

fishindude
12-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Again, thanks to those of you for helping me. Now I have a greater selection of what I want. This board is a great place.

Browntrouter
12-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Check out www.cooksoforegon.com I have purchased several rods from them and very happy at about half the price.