PDA

View Full Version : First time ocean fishing -- need advice

al35
06-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Hello!
This is my first post on this board. It's a great forum!

I've been freshwater fishing since I was a small kid, I love it, but never tried sea fishing. This weekend I'm going on the Spitfire. Any advice, what to expect? I'll be renting the rod since I only have the freshwater stuff. I'll probably buy my own gear afterwards when I see exactly what I need.
What kind of tackle do they provide? Using bait? Lures? Could any of my freshwater gear be useful?
In general, what should I take with me?
Also, what other expenses should I expect besides the fare/rental/license?

Any advice will be very helpful, thank you in advance!

ghetto dad
06-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Hello!
This is my first post on this board. It's a great forum!

I've been freshwater fishing since I was a small kid, I love it, but never tried sea fishing. This weekend I'm going on the Spitfire. Any advice, what to expect? I'll be renting the rod since I only have the freshwater stuff. I'll probably buy my own gear afterwards when I see exactly what I need.
What kind of tackle do they provide? Using bait? Lures? Could any of my freshwater gear be useful?
In general, what should I take with me?
Also, what other expenses should I expect besides the fare/rental/license?

Any advice will be very helpful, thank you in advance!

you need to factor in jackpot ($5-$10 depending on boat), sack ($1), food (appx $5.00 for breakfast and $5.00 for lunch, about $1 for waters/soda, beers are usually $2-$3) fish cleaning (about $1 a fish, if you decide to keep them) plus tip, if you had good service (about $10-$20 AFTER fish cleaning).....
your freshwater gear will do great if you are going to catalina, you can use it for bass/perch/sheephead fishing.....but youll need the heavier gear for yellows/seabass...thats ASSUMING you go to the island..if they stay local for the barracuda, you will definitely need the heavier gear for throwing iron...also, if you are fishing for barries, then you need to purchase one or two jigs from the tackle office...peace

bigfishlittlefish
06-07-2007, 11:13 AM
I get advice from the folks @ Turner's & whoever answers the phone at the boat landing. Best to talk the landing people 'cause they know what fish they'll be targeting.

bflf

al35
06-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the information! As far as I understand the boat will stay local for barracuda.

ghetto dad
06-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the information! As far as I understand the boat will stay local for barracuda.

then definitely purchase a couple jigs...you might wanna get some heavys, they are easier to cast if your not familiar with casting a conventional...just remember, on the heavys, you need to wind faster than a light!!!!!

al35
06-07-2007, 11:51 AM
then definitely purchase a couple jigs...

Do they sell them there, on the boat? Or should I buy something before?

Fisho
06-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Where do you live?

I'd really suggest going to your local tackle shop (as opposed to the chains and walmart and such) and talk to them. Let them know where you're going and what kind of trip it is. Most of these guys that own and work at the small shops love to fish and have put in their time and know what's really going on. Ask them to show you their stuff and point out the pros & cons of the different set-ups.

It's also a great way to meet new fishing buddies and most of the small shops also run charters which are a heckuva lot better than the cattle boat trips! :D

Beats the heck out of supporting the big corporate entities and the customer service is usually outstanding!

Also take along some of your fresh water tackle, generally at least 10 lb or so, if the opportunity comes up where you can use it it's great fun!

al35
06-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks!
Sorry for newbie questions, it's just that I have no idea what to expect. Sure it's better to buy the jigs at the local tackle shop (btw, I recently moved to West LA, anyone knows a good one here?), but I need to know what is provided with the rental rod.

ghetto dad
06-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Where do you live?

I'd really suggest going to your local tackle shop (as opposed to the chains and walmart and such) and talk to them. Let them know where you're going and what kind of trip it is. Most of these guys that own and work at the small shops love to fish and have put in their time and know what's really going on. Ask them to show you their stuff and point out the pros & cons of the different set-ups.

It's also a great way to meet new fishing buddies and most of the small shops also run charters which are a heckuva lot better than the cattle boat trips! :D

Beats the heck out of supporting the big corporate entities and the customer service is usually outstanding!

Also take along some of your fresh water tackle, generally at least 10 lb or so, if the opportunity comes up where you can use it it's great fun!

I AGREE, AFTER HE DECIDES IF HE WANTS TO PURCHASE BETTER GEAR, BUT HES JUST ASKING ABOUT THIS TRIP....AS FAR AS IF THEY SELL THEM THERE, CALL THE LANDING AND ASK THEM,,,,IM SURE THEY SELL PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING YOU NEED FOR A DAYS FISHING, MOST LANDINGS DO...PEACE

Fisho
06-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Buying tackle at a local shop is usually cheaper than at the landing and they also have a lot larger selection.

More for less and the above benefits! :D

ghetto dad
06-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Buying tackle at a local shop is usually cheaper than at the landing and they also have a lot larger selection.

More for less and the above benefits! :D

that is true, they are a lil cheaper than the landing, i was just trying to make it simple for his first trip...your advice IS good advice man......

al35
06-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Do you know what kind of tackle they rent on Spitfire?
I have some anchovies in the freezer that I bought for stripers. Can they be of any use for the trip?

ghetto dad
06-07-2007, 01:43 PM
im sorry man i just have to...lol....no, you dont need to bring bait..they supply it on the boat..most landings offer 20-25 rental gear, some offer spinning gear, some do not...

victor101
06-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Spitfire huh? good choice. as far as rental gear. they offer spinning and conventional setups. if you are not used to conventional, i suggest renting a spinning. ive seen some guys ruin their whole day because they dont know how to use conventional. just my opinnion. remember to get a saltwater stamp for your fishing license. assuming you already have one. they will provide all the bait you need. when you rent a rod they usually provide you with just one weight and a couple hooks. if you lose them they will charge you for a replacement. bring a couple weights and hooks with you. i would suggest a 2oz,4oz, and an 8oz just incase you go for some rockfish. the crew will help you rig up if you need them to. dont forget to post a report when you get back.
have fun and GOOD LUCK!

-Vic

al35
06-07-2007, 02:33 PM
That's a very useful info, thanks!
How hard is it to use the conventional setup? What's the advantage over the spinning?

victor101
06-07-2007, 02:46 PM
it all depends on how easily you can adjust to it. i would suggest using a spinning this time and buying a conventional setup for you to practice with. a conventional makes it easier to bring in bigger fish and allow you to cast farther. it takes a bit of practice to learn to cast it. you will get birds nests in the bigginning. i still get birds nests every once in a while. if you go with the conventional, bring your heaviest freshwater setup with you as a back up.

n1ckxlam
06-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Hey Al35,

a conventional set up is basically a large baitcasting, if you can handle a baitcasting well, then you can probably manage with a conventional. if you cant cast a baitcasting set up and you want to cast on your trip, you should get a spinning set up. Both come spooled with line and the hooks and sinkers should come prepacked in a baggy for a few bucks.

As Victor said, conventionals are more advantageous if you know how to use them. Ask the deckhand to teach you how to cast before you start trying on your own (if its your first time and you decide to rent one). Otherwise, that first backlash could take you a while to untangle and you could lose a lot of fishing time. If you want to spare all that, then just rent a spinning and it should be no problem.

The plus side is you will be using live bait, that when good, will swim away from the boat (depending on the side of the boat you are on) which would allow you to catch fish even without casting.

Right now you can expect to go for barracuda which can be all through the water column and all around the boat and sculpin+bass which will most likely be on the bottom. You will see a lot of the barracuda taken from top to mid water on the live bait so just imagine what you might need for this kind of fishing (but keep in mind they will also take the anchovies and sardines off the bottom as well). If you are going to use squid, fish it off the bottom. When fishing the bottom a heavier sinker will make your rig easier to manage but a lighter sinker will be easier set the hook and reel (if you dont know how to set up, ask the deckhands to set you up, or you can look up "dropper loop" online).
My advise is to watch and learn from the folks around you and to ask the deckhand questions. This should make for better fishing.

ALSO, you wont be back until 3-5pm, so if you dont want to spend the extra money on food and drink, you can bring your own but I would advise against bringing a cooler. Also, check weather incase you need sunblock, this is really important. you can get nasty burns even if its overcast.
If you want your fish cleaned and filleted, they will charge you, but even if you dont want your fish cleaned, you should tip them anyways. If you order food from the galley, it will be customary to tip them as well.

good luck, look forward to your report
pm me if you still have questions
Nick

ghetto dad
06-07-2007, 07:46 PM
yes, there are NO ICE CHESTS ALLOWED on sportboats, unless its a charter and special arrangements have been made prior to the trip. You are more then welcome to bring your own food and beverages (NO ALCOHOL), but good luck keeping it cold without an ice chest. Also, some boats do not allow you to have "picnic" lunches inside their galley, thats like bringing outside food into a restaurant. Like nick said, but dont bother checking the weather, bring sunblock, a hat, sunglasses, a JACKET (some people think that if its 100 degrees here, then it's the same on the ocean......not always true, actually hardly ever true), or purchase one of those fishing hats like i wear..those things are GREAT!!! Anyways, i hope were preparing you for a great trip...the only thing in return, please post a report (with pics, if you can).....have a great trip!!

ghetto dad
06-07-2007, 07:50 PM
oh sorry...i just noticed something....don't feel blown off if a deckhand can not teach you how to cast, especially when there are quite a few people on the boat....normally, they will have no problem rigging you up, checking your drags, answering questions, getting you untangled or unstuck from the bottom, gaffing your fish, taking them off, etc...but generally, they wont teach you how to cast....casting takes LOTS of practice, its something you really cant be "shown" then know how to do it, ya know??? anyways, peace

n1ckxlam
06-08-2007, 03:29 AM
wise words mate,

tight lines

Nick

lakersmn
06-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Take a drive down to Pierpoint or Long Beach instead of Redondo, you'll get an hour+ more fishing time! They are 10+ miles closer to the fishing grounds.