PDA

View Full Version : Bass Boat Cover Question

Off The Hook
12-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Well I kind of got carried away with my boat selection. I somehow went from looking at aluminum boats in the $500.00 range to this 20' Champion with a Mercury 200 efi on it. =) My question is, Who has any recommendations for a good quality trailerable boat cover for my boat? I have already looked into the custom route but cannot afford the $600-700.00 price tag for a custom cover. Anyone try the Bass pro Shops universal bass boat cover? I would really appreciate any suggestions since I want to keep this boat in nice condition. Below are some pictures of it. I cant wait to break her in this week. Thanks guys

http://img249.imagevenue.com/loc139/th_19863_Champion_Bass_Boat_005_122_139lo.jpg (http://img249.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=19863_Champion_Bass_Boat_005_122_139 lo.jpg)

http://img137.imagevenue.com/loc1018/th_19866_Champion_Bass_Boat_001_122_1018lo.jpg (http://img137.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=19866_Champion_Bass_Boat_001_122_101 8lo.jpg)

Vulture
12-20-2008, 06:18 PM
I picked a boat cover at Pep Boys for under 100. It.s a lil big on my 19' Nitro boat I don't trailer with it on. I just cover my boat when I leave outside. I garage my boat 90% of the time I cover it when I need to give the garage a good cleaning. Check them out. If it dont fit take it back.

Tail Chaser
12-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Good choice in boats.
You went from just being on the water. To having a nice ride.
I dont really like giving Wal-Mart my business.
But they have boat covers.
Dont really care for Pep Boys either.
They were recieving cases of syn oil from a Valvoline distribution center and claiming they did not recieve it. :Evil:

I had a nice cover for my truck.
California car cover.
They may have good boat covers also.
Maybe check for a website

Off The Hook
12-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I should of specified that I have a cheaper Wal Mart cover and would like to go to a canvas type cover that can be cinched down nice and tight. The Wal Mart cover is just to thin and light duty for towing. I am thinking some type of fabric/cloth cover. I was looking at a couple at Bass Pro in the 175-300 range but wanted to see if anyone has given them a try and what there opinions are on them.

"tail chaser", Yeah, I am stoked about the new rig. I used to have a Skeeter that I fished some tourneys with but had to let it go a couple years back. I was fortunate to get that boat with a custom built cover. Unfortunately this one just came with an over sized thin Wal Mart cover.

BingJr
12-20-2008, 08:52 PM
I bought the Grey Stearns cover from BPS for 160.00. It fits like a glove on my particular boat. Not a bass boat like yours but has elastic all around and 4 straps w/buckles on each side and 2 on the rear. It would definitely be trailerable and is nice and water proof.

sansou
12-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Perhaps its just the cheap covers I have bought over the years, but I find that after trailering them for a while, they get massively distended. Plus, once they get distended, they trap air and promote ripping, which in turn means the clock starts ticking before you're out buying a new one. As you can imagine, if you're cover isn't a tight fit, you get water pooling, which means you end up trying all sorts of gizmos to prop up the saggy areas.

(The places I used to trailer up until recently, I had dust/rain issues, so I always had to put the cover on.)

If you can trailer without a cover (ie. you're only driving highway and not dirt roads) you will extend the life of your cover.

Once again, maybe the problem I have experienced is just related to the cheap covers I have bought over the internet over the years.

Just a thought.

Off The Hook
12-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Sansou, Yeah the cheaper cover tend to have trouble while towing. The thicker material works alot better for towing. I just dont know which is a good one for a bass boat. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks

Sparky70
12-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Check out Overtons or Cabellas for boat covers they have a good selection and good prices also.

hook1fred
12-21-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't tow with a cover, even a trailerable cover will scratch your gel coat. When parked I use a custom cover by attwood ( i believe thats the name) it's very tough, padded, and water proof

Off The Hook
12-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks guys. I actually found a company that has the prints/design specs of my boat and actually stock a semi custom cover for it. At the end of the day, It is costing me 300.00 shipped to my door. It is made of 100% marine polyester (not sunbrella, but still good fabric). I will post how it turns out when I receive it. I went down to Bass pro Shops yesterday but there stock was pretty wiped out. Thanks again guys.

PS: I will be testing out the new boat at Castaic Friday, if anyone is there say hello!