PDA

View Full Version : Avet MXJ 5.8:1 single speed reel

Big Ed
12-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Waz up?

I recently bought an Avet MXJ5.8 reel intending to fish 20lb-25lb over spectra for offshore albacore and yellowtail but im having second thoughts. I wont be doing much long range fishing anymore but i will continue to fish several 3 day trips each year as i have always done in the past. Hopefully somebody who already owns one of these reels can give me some insight.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/otherbiged/AvetMXJ.jpg

This reel is now in my offshore arsenal that includes two 25-30lb Accurate Boss 870's, 30-40lb Accurate Boss 665H, 40lb Accurate Boss 665Narrow and a few other bigger reels. I fish these all on Cal Star Graphiters. It is my first Avet ive ever owned.

Here is my question for anybody who owns a single speed Avet with similar gear ratio. I feel like with this small narrow reel the 5.8:1 gears will make it difficult to get torque out of the reel once i hook up with a nice hard pulling 25-30lb class albie or yellow. The same reel with a 2 speed comes 6:1/4:1 and is about another $125.00 bucks. Im thinking about taking it back for a 2 speed but im not sure i need it for a light line class reel? Please remember its only a 20-25lb class reel. Id love to hear first hand advice.

At 5.8:1 with this narrow small spool will this reel handle the torque of a pissed off tuna?

Thanks; Big Ed!

Evilone
12-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Load it with spectra, top it off with your fave mono and kill some fish. Do you think you will be undergunned? I have caught many a toad YT and WSB on the SX single speed with 20# line. You should have no problems. Go have sum fun, whats the worst that can happen, its fishing

sansou
12-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Mr. Ed,
Here's my take on it...

Keep it. It's a perfect reel for what you want to do. Short pumps fixes your torque concern. 2speed is nice, but I personally wouldn't consider it a truly necessary item for 3 day Socal trips. 5.8 gear ration is fine....you just have to work the fish a bit.

Congrats, it's a great reel. Definately one of my favorites to fish with as it is versatile. I flyline with one, light yo-yo with another. You should consider getting an SX if you really want to have fun with tuna/yt!!

Ricky-Ray
12-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Mr. Ed,
Here's my take on it...

Keep it. It's a perfect reel for what you want to do. Short pumps fixes your torque concern. 2speed is nice, but I personally wouldn't consider it a truly necessary item for 3 day Socal trips. 5.8 gear ration is fine....you just have to work the fish a bit.

Congrats, it's a great reel. Definately one of my favorites to fish with as it is versatile. I flyline with one, light yo-yo with another. You should consider getting an SX if you really want to have fun with tuna/yt!!

I agree with Sansou. I have the MXJ in both single speed and 2 speed. I fish 25-30# on my mxj's most time I won't be using the low gear (although that feature does come in handy for Colonett winter rockfish trips), but it is a nice feature to have but not necessary.

Like Sansou said, short pumps and you'll get that fish on the deck with no problems.

Nessie Hunter
12-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Awesome Reel Ed....
The Avet has a very solid frame, no chance of a twist (binding of spool shaft and gears)...
You can crank way above the line/drag setting on them without fear...

Go get it wet man.....

I would not even think of a 2 speed below the 40/50#+ line use.
Its just overkill.

Depending on how brave you are, a drag setting of around 12/14#, on 25# line is about max (1/2+ of line rating is brave).... So the most cranking power you need is about 12#+ (then drag slips)..
You are "way beyond that" with your new Avet...

I would. for sure, fill the narrow spool with Spectra, just in case you hook a TOAD and need the extra capacity to work it..

gallogg
12-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Hey,

I agree with everyone who answered above.
I have a couple of MXJ5.8 single speed reels and they are so fine!

Like Sansou mentioned, just keep short pumping and you will kill that fish in 2 minutes regardless how big they are, I mean up to 30lbs........

I was thinking about 2 speed before I used the single speed, but after I caught a couple of 20lb yellows, I knew I didn't need any 2 speed reels.

I used that reel with 50lbs spectra about 250yrds of spectra and top shot with 30lb mono about 100 yrds.

Sammy

Big Ed
12-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks guys;

Very sound advice from several anglers who have first hand knowledge! I will definatly keep the reel without returning it for the 2 speed version. Turners Outdoors has all Avet reels for $25.00 off until Jan 1st. Excellent deal on a quality peice of equipment. I also scored the last of the Chronarch 50MG's as they are know discontinued. They went down from $249.00 to $175.00 for the best little baitcaster made.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all!

Later; Big Ed!