PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Palos Verdes cliffs

The Rookie
12-18-2008, 11:00 AM
First off thank you to all of the great advice and tips you guys provide a rookie like myself, I'd probably still be catching skunks without it!

That said, I need some tips for fishing some steep cliffs off of Palos Verdes,my friend lives there and we are planning to give it a shot.

There is a steep trail down to some rocks, no beach, but there are big kelp beds just a few yards out. I usually fish the harbor with squid or leadheads and get a bunch of YFC's. But, we are trying to hook up with something more exciting.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated and I'll post pics if we get anything.

Thanks, the rookie

LuRkEr
12-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Rookie,

Fishing that area with lead heads & sinker rigs is going to be tough cuz of the think kelp and
very rocky bottom. Your best bet is to use a bobber with a two foot leader using frozen
peas, mussels or get some limpets (shell fish) off the rocks. You can usually catch pearch,
sargo, opaleye, sheephead, assorted rock fish, calico and sand bass.

I would recommend you guys freedive. Get a speargun and you will be in one of the
premier dive spots in all of So-Cal. It's not unusual to see schools of white seabass to
90#+, sheephead to 40#+, yellowtail to 40#+ and huge calico and sandbass. Be careful
going up an down those trails. Remember, anything you catch, you will have to haul up
that cliff. Good luck.

LuRkEr

ghetto dad
12-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Rookie,

Fishing that area with lead heads & sinker rigs is going to be tough cuz of the think kelp and
very rocky bottom. Your best bet is to use a bobber with a two foot leader using frozen
peas, mussels or get some limpets (shell fish) off the rocks. You can usually catch pearch,
sargo, opaleye, sheephead, assorted rock fish, calico and sand bass.

I would recommend you guys freedive. Get a speargun and you will be in one of the
premier dive spots in all of So-Cal. It's not unusual to see schools of white seabass to
90#+, sheephead to 40#+, yellowtail to 40#+ and huge calico and sandbass. Be careful
going up an down those trails. Remember, anything you catch, you will have to haul up
that cliff. Good luck.

LuRkEr

can i get some of what youre on???? :ROFL:

GD

SamFisher
12-18-2008, 01:23 PM
I invite you to our next Fathomiers spearfishing tournament. You will change your tone.
Several years ago, a 90# white seabass was taken in shallow right under the Point Vicente
light house. Not to far up the coast, Bill Earnst speared a record white seabass that was
over 93#. Don't believe me, here is a link to the DFG website for a picture of his toad:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/faqtrph3.asp

The sheephead in the area huge...well over 40#. Not to long ago, a 35# won a local
spearfishing tournament. Fish was speared in Malaga Cove.

Just because you can see them on your sportfishing boat, that doesn't mean they are
not there. Try jumping in some time. You can see for yourself.

LuRkEr, TomCod, PO and other member of this website have speared, and all to often the
case, watched giant fish swim away untouched because they saw us first before we
could shoot them.

You cant get some of what we are on until you jump in the water!!!

SamFisher

GD

Tail Chaser
12-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Visibility at PV can be pretty bad for freediving.
I wonder if it doesnt hurt as much when you can't see what takes a bite out of you :Bug Eyes:

I'm creeped out of the toxins that were dumped out there years ago.

LuRkEr
12-18-2008, 01:29 PM

GD

I invite you to our next Fathomiers spearfishing tournament. You will change your tone.
Several years ago, a 90# white seabass was taken in shallow right under the Point Vicente
light house. Not to far up the coast, Bill Earnst speared a record white seabass that was
over 93#. Don't believe me, here is a link to the DFG website for a picture of his toad:

The sheephead in the area huge...well over 40#. Not to long ago, a 35# won a local

Just because you can see them on your sportfishing boat, that doesn't mean they are

LuRkEr, TomCod, PO and other member of this website have speared, and all to often the
case, watched giant fish swim away untouched because they saw us first before we
could shoot them.

SamFisher

It's all good fellas. Those that know believe. Those that don't won't.
But, the truth will set you free.

LuRkEr

ghetto dad
12-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Sorry, didnt mean to get the whole diving posse on me......lol...thanks for the invite...

GD

Tail Chaser
12-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Whats cool about freediving/spearfishing is....
You may see big fish that are not biting on rod/reel.

I'm too new at spearfishing.
The thought of taking fish with the spear when they are not biting seems pretty cool.
Listening to the fish comunicate underwater is awsume also.

ghetto dad
12-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Whats cool about freediving/spearfishing is....
You may see big fish that are not biting on rod/reel.

I'm too new at spearfishing.
The thought of taking fish with the spear when they are not biting seems pretty cool.
Listening to the fish comunicate underwater is awsume also.

lol...what do they say???

GD

Tail Chaser
12-18-2008, 02:00 PM
The WSB make a loud croaking sound.
The baitfish make a clicking sound.

And on the weekends when the fishys hear a bunch of boat engines running.
I think all the fishys say.......
Lets get the heck out of here, and dont bite anything.

jerryG
12-19-2008, 02:09 AM

could shoot them.

SamFisher

Just an FYI actually the current world record white sea bass in the linked picture on the DFG site was speared last year off the coast Malibu not Palos Verdes. Although the previous record was speared in palos verdes in the early 80s but another shore diver. The diver who speared the record current record in malibu had speared a WSB some where in the neighborhood of 70lbs the day before and when he returned the next day to the same location he said he saw 3 very large white sea bass and took a shot at 1 of the 3 which resulted in the new world record. I believe there are some big seabass that frequent PV but a 90lb specimen is extremely rare at best.

JerryG

SamFisher
12-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Just an FYI actually the current world record white sea bass in the linked picture on the DFG site was speared last year off the coast Malibu not Palos Verdes. Although the previous record was speared in palos verdes in the early 80s but another shore diver. The diver who speared the record current record in malibu had speared a WSB some where in the neighborhood of 70lbs the day before and when he returned the next day to the same location he said he saw 3 very large white sea bass and took a shot at 1 of the 3 which resulted in the new world record. I believe there are some big seabass that frequent PV but a 90lb specimen is extremely rare at best.

JerryG

JG,,,If you notice, I did say, "Not to far up the coast..." and as mentioned before, there was
a 90# WSB taken right below the Point Vicente light house. The freediver never reported
the WSB for a record. He is a humble man that doesn't like the publicity. And, for the
record, I do know who Bill Ernst is as well as his good friends Rene Rojas and Gerald
Lim who are some of the very best freedivers in the world.

FYI,,,the previous world record was taken in Palos Verdes not in the 80's but in 1994 by
Skip Hellen. That WSB was 80# even. Poor guy had to hike that beast up cardiac hill.

Here is a link for current and past record WSB:

http://www.underwaterhunters.com/Hist_Largest%20Calif%20White%20Sea%20Bass.asp

Peace,
SamFisher

Tail Chaser
12-19-2008, 12:11 PM
I think you should keep the area a secret.
Its hard to freedive safely when everyone shows up in there boats.

I know of another spot where a non fishing forum workbuddy caught a 47# WSB along the coast. He caught a 38# or inch? Butt in the same area.
That was in 07.
Lots of big ones were caught in 07.
He worked to much in 08 to do any fishing.
Along with someone else I know.

I need to start getting out more :Angry:

jerryG
12-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah me and GD (Ghetto Dad) we were just clowning..Having some fun... Now we got the whole spearoso mafia free diving crime familia on us... It's all good though we got all the West Coast rod and reelers watching out for us..

JerryG

SamFisher
12-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah me and GD (Ghetto Dad) we were just clowning..Having some fun... Now we got the whole spearoso mafia free diving crime familia on us... It's all good though we got all the West Coast rod and reelers watching out for us..

JerryG

It's all good,
SamFisher

gavin310
12-23-2008, 09:41 PM
The Rookie, if you're going to fish from the rocks down there pay CLOSE attention to the tides and don't put yourself in a position where you could get stuck if the tide rises just a little. Hopefully you already know that, but I figured I'd still say it.

slainte
12-24-2008, 09:50 AM
I have lurked on this site for years and finally signed up just because of this post. I live in PV very near the cliffs. At least twice a year someone DIES while fishing the rocks!

While I enjoy watching the rescue/body retrieval operations (it's like Deadliest Catch live) I am sure the person in the basket, the rescue divers getting slammed in the boiler rocks and the Coast Guard Helo pilot flying against the cliffs don't find it as amusing. So please if you are going to fish the cliffs please:

Check the surf/swell. It doesn't have to be 8-10 ft. to be dangerous. The area around Pt. Vicente can be really mixed up and waves can come out of nowhere.

Never turn your back to the ocean - EVER. Most people get swept off the rocks while they rigging tackle or not paying attention.

Check the tides. Outside rocks looks easy to get to at low tide but can quickly get buried on the high tide. Also your path of travel back to land can be gone in seconds.

Watch the fog. It can go from sunny to zero visibility in minutes (especially in Summer)

Carry a cell phone in a waterproof bag. Also know where you are. Calling 911 and saying "I stuck on rock in PV" is not going to help the Coasties find you.
Better yet get a GPS as well.

Pick your trails. Some look real easy but aren't (especially coming back up). You are better off using established trails at Pt. Vicente Fishing Access, Long Pt. (where the new hotel is) and Malaga Cove. Stay away from Lunada Bay unless you are a UFC fighter and be respectful of Private property.

Pack out your trash, fishing line etc. and know the DFG regs. THe DFG watches the rocks from the cliffs with high powered binos. They will just wait for you to come back up and nail you.

So good luck and hopefully I won't have to wave to you as the helicopter medivacs you out.

And when you catch that 90 lb. WSB and/or 30lb. Goat make sure you post it:ROFL:

Slainte!

ghetto dad
12-24-2008, 11:11 AM

JerryG

omg.....:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:.......
GD

SamFisher
12-25-2008, 06:16 PM
omg.....:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:.......
GD

Don't make me go there!!!!

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh358/SamFisher2564/GodFather.jpg

Ha ha ha....just messen around GD.

Peace,
SamFisher

Troutman65
01-01-2009, 06:43 PM
I have lurked on this site for years and finally signed up just because of this post. I live in PV very near the cliffs. At least twice a year someone DIES while fishing the rocks!

While I enjoy watching the rescue/body retrieval operations (it's like Deadliest Catch live) I am sure the person in the basket, the rescue divers getting slammed in the boiler rocks and the Coast Guard Helo pilot flying against the cliffs don't find it as amusing. So please if you are going to fish the cliffs please:

Check the surf/swell. It doesn't have to be 8-10 ft. to be dangerous. The area around Pt. Vicente can be really mixed up and waves can come out of nowhere.

Never turn your back to the ocean - EVER. Most people get swept off the rocks while they rigging tackle or not paying attention.

Check the tides. Outside rocks looks easy to get to at low tide but can quickly get buried on the high tide. Also your path of travel back to land can be gone in seconds.

Watch the fog. It can go from sunny to zero visibility in minutes (especially in Summer)

Carry a cell phone in a waterproof bag. Also know where you are. Calling 911 and saying "I stuck on rock in PV" is not going to help the Coasties find you.
Better yet get a GPS as well.

Pick your trails. Some look real easy but aren't (especially coming back up). You are better off using established trails at Pt. Vicente Fishing Access, Long Pt. (where the new hotel is) and Malaga Cove. Stay away from Lunada Bay unless you are a UFC fighter and be respectful of Private property.

Pack out your trash, fishing line etc. and know the DFG regs. THe DFG watches the rocks from the cliffs with high powered binos. They will just wait for you to come back up and nail you.

So good luck and hopefully I won't have to wave to you as the helicopter medivacs you out.

And when you catch that 90 lb. WSB and/or 30lb. Goat make sure you post it:ROFL:

Slainte!

Slainte, Glad you joined up on FNN and posted. Many a year ago, My buddys & I use to go to the cliffs there and you are correct about how dangerous it is and can be. We use to climb down a ways on this cliff and hang out in this trees roots that had you suspended in the air . It was not the brightest thing we ever did and we were lucky no one fell down on to the rocks below & died. Stupid stuff we teenagers use to do.:EyePop:

ghetto dad
01-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Don't make me go there!!!!

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh358/SamFisher2564/GodFather.jpg

Ha ha ha....just messen around GD.

Peace,
SamFisher

:ROFL::ROFL:

Classic....thanks man

GD