PDA

View Full Version : Marina Del Rey & Kings Harbor w/ SteelGary (w/picts)

ARTIMUS
12-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Left the house around 4:00 am to drive over the rolling hills and drop into the backside of Castaic. It was cold and clear for the most part on the west side QH. Then I saw the clouds hugging the hills rolling effortlessly towards me (sigh) it might get kinda nasty on us I thought. Gary was loaded up and ready to roll when I arrived and we made a quick stop and grabbed some munchies for the road. When we arrived at MDR I noticed the wind wasnt all the bad and the clouds were virtually non- existent, better than I expected.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l353/artimus013/ocean%20fish/CIMG3647.jpg

We hit a few spots for some flaties and trolled the harbor on our way to one of Garys favorite spots. I asked him so whats the ticket here on the set up and saw him tie on a gulp so did the same. As he said good to see me hitting the danger zones around the kelp and rocks I hooked up maybe the third cast.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l353/artimus013/ocean%20fish/CIMG3650.jpg

Kelp Bass on.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l353/artimus013/ocean%20fish/CIMG3652.jpg

Gary pulled out this Calico.

We worked the windwall for a bit pulled out a couple of more.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l353/artimus013/ocean%20fish/CIMG3655.jpg

Nice Cabezon Gary.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l353/artimus013/ocean%20fish/CIMG3656.jpg

Baby Cali.

We moved on to some other spots and burnt some time having fun with the smelts..LOL... Smeltoff 2008!!

Loaded up and headed over to Kings Harbor for the finishing of the day.

We trolled for some boneheads for a bit then fished for more Calicos and flaties. No flaties for the day or bones that we could persuade on the hook, But we caught alot of smaller calicos, sand bass, and 1 sculpin.

I just want to say thanks again Gary for the trip and I had a blast.

Till the next time.

Cheers:Beer Toast:.

ARTIMUS

FISHSTIX
12-16-2008, 01:01 PM
nice job out there fellas:Thumbs Up:...thanks for the report and pix:Cool:

GeordyBass
12-16-2008, 01:31 PM
lucky basstards!!hahaha,,,lol,,,j/k,,,

You guys did well and better than us saturday.I bet Gary was tired as hell huh?

Good job guys!

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Artimas:
Glad ta have ya along, fishing was a bit tough at Marina but it was a blast...we at least caught some fish there ! a couple quality ones but mostly the smaller models..
We’ll return again for some toad revenge.

That Cabezon was a real tough customer though, gotta always trip on those pectoral fins….quite impressive ! one thing I hadn't noticed before was that they actually have 2 sets of pectoral fins...no wonder why they are tough customers !

When we had the SHmeltoff 2008 by the bait dock that was a crackup....by the way Art won the SHmelting contest.....I remember getting ready to set the hook on a smelt and saying...

"a fish is ready to experience an unfortunate SHmelting accident !"
(reminiscent of Austin Powers Goldmember)

I cant remember exactly how many smelt we got each but it was ranging from 5-7 each but I think you took the tourney by 1, I had to reconfigure my thought process at that point and remember we were huntin toads but that was some good fun talking smack there !

Those smelt were Toads too as far as the the smelt world goes…I thought we took a photo of that 1st 1 you caught ? didn’t we ?

The Redondo harbor foray that followed was off the hook for those small Calicos though.

I’m sure we probably caught upwards of 60 fish there, too bad the big ol girls didn’t want to dance that evening.

As it got dark they really blew up….also it was way cool to have watched that fireworks show going off nearby, I am guessing it was Hermosa or Manhatten beach but that was a full fledged 20 min show…..good times..

Here’s to the next outing….salute,
Gary

lucky basstards!!hahaha,,,lol,,,j/k,,,

You guys did well and better than us saturday.I bet Gary was tired as hell huh?

Good job guys!
We may have caught greater numbers but sat had bigger fish plus lobster he hehahah...what was that fish count ?? ? 4 to 1 ??? ha ha ha

Tired.....I spit on tired...I only need 2 hrs of sleep for the weekend and fishing adrenaline takes over....it's work that tires me out even though being on the water almost seems like another day at the office but an enjoyable one !

GeordyBass
12-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Tired.....I spit on tired...I only need 2 hrs of sleep for the weekend and fishing adrenaline takes over....And 2 gallons of Monster Energy drinks,,,:LOL:

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-16-2008, 03:14 PM
And 2 gallons of Monster Energy drinks,,,:LOL:

I just use the IV attachment that they supply on the 32 ounce monsters...

Saves time and it's a straight feed of monster energy while keeping my hans free to fish..

ARTIMUS
12-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Yea here is the picture of one of them from SmeltOff2008 that was a halarious distraction watching the Buddist all slackjaw as we were pulling them out.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l353/artimus013/ocean%20fish/CIMG3659.jpg

smitty99
12-16-2008, 07:54 PM
the fireworks were Manhattan Beach

thepuma
12-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Man-o-Man.... Missed a really nice trip out there didn't I? Well next time. We will have to do da float tubes. Gary's energy will be spent trying to fight some of those currents in a tube. Better plug in two IVs of Monster drinks.
:EyePop:
Nice fish guys. I like the different species. Makes it fun, not knowing what you are going to pull up. Beats a lake any day. With Christmas around the corner I won't be out in a tube before then (the 25th), but I have two weeks off from work starting next Saturday. Need to plan it. Artimus is chomping at the bit to go out again. Supposed to snow again tonight here in Elizabeth Lake. Hopefully It goes strong and I will start my vacation early.
Gary, you ever try soaking any other lures/baits with your left over "Alive juice"? Just curious.
Again, Great fish and great post. congrats brothas!
Scott

crappiemike
12-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Cool bass bite in the harbor in dec. Way to go!!!

Next time that pipe blows some smoke i should
get a ring..

Looks like after that rain fell all the bird crap was swepted
down in the water, little dingy out there right now...

Cm

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Cool bass bite in the harbor in dec. Way to go!!!

Next time that pipe blows some smoke i should
get a ring..

Looks like after that rain fell all the bird crap was swepted
down in the water, little dingy out there right now...

Cm
Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention is that it was a partial red tide in redondo, this could have detrimental affects if it gets worse, we'll have to keep an eye on it, in my experiences there the red tides stay there pretty long when they push all the way to the back of the bay.

Marina was a tad dingy but no red tide.

supasportkid
12-17-2008, 05:44 PM
great report and pics, nice cali's. thanks

pokerface12
12-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Looks like a fun day, thanks for sharing.