PDA

View Full Version : Pvr 12/6-7

fish'n fool
12-11-2008, 08:57 PM
I fished Pleasant Valley Reservoir in October for 3 days in a row because of poor weather in the Bishop Creek drainage. Had fished PVR previously with poor results. But those 3 days were pretty spectacular with 30-40 trout C & R'd each day. Decided to return and try my luck in December. Arrived at PVR at the north end at 0700 to find it really cold. I decided to start at the powerhouse near the parking lot and quickly caught 3 small (8-10 inch) brownies on 2 # test with a #10 Owner mosquito hook and a split shot and a pink Powerworm. After I wore out my welcome there, I proceeded down to the Big Rock and caught 6 RB's (10-12 inches) using 3# leader with a cast-a-bubble filled with water and a #10 mosquito hook and a pink Powerworm. I would cast out as far as I could and let the bubble sink for a 15 count, then very slowly reel in. I was getting bit on every cast but my hookup rate was poor. (In fact, I used a pink Powerworm the 2 days I was there.) After an hour, I continued further down to the Ramp where I C & R'd another 20 RB's until about noon. I returned on day 2 and proceeded to the Ramp. Once there, I continued the same routine from the previous day. Cast out, let it sink, reel in slowly. The magic continued. I was getting bit on each cast and my hook up rates were better this time. In all, I C & R'd probably 35-40 RB's in 3 hours. I will give PVR more attention this winter and early spring. There are truly an amazing amount of fish there. None were huge. Probably the biggest was about a pound but they were all good fighters and fun to catch.

billy b
12-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Fish'n'fool ... why do you think the fishing was so much better this time? ... just timing - or did you do something different? Just curious what else you tried using ... other colors of pworms?

I'm just curious (having never been beyond the parking area ... how far a walk are these places ... and how steep the climb/descent?

Also, as I mentioned in a previous post, there are more than one turnoffs ... which one leads to the power plant where you went ... is it the upper, middle, or lower?

Thanks for all the help ... and good tips.

jase33
12-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Fishing and More in Pleasant Valley Reservoir

The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power officially opened Pleasant Valley Reservoir for year round float tubing December 13, 1998. This is the first time any form of watercraft has been allowed on the reservoir since it was built in the early 1950's. Other forms of watercraft, such as boats, are still prohibited there. Four reservoir access trails and signs identifying trail locations were built by California Conservation Corps crews as part of the float-tubing project.

An outstanding year-round fishery, Pleasant Valley Reservoir is located in a canyon along the Chalk Bluffs six miles north of Bishop off Highway 395 (make a right hand turn at Pleasant Valley Road, it is about a 1 1/2 miles to the reservoir, just past the campground). Very popular with both locals and visitors alike, many fishermen drive to the dam and then load their bicycles with tackle and pedal along the 2 mile long paved road (closed to motor vehicles) that lines the reservoir until they come to a likely spot. The reservoir is also the site of the Bishop Chambers Blake Jones Trout Derby held every March.

It is also possible to enter the reservoir from the north end at Gorge Road, 9 miles north of Bishop, at the bottom of Sherwin Grade on U.S. 395. Turn east, then drive a short way up to the pipeline and then turn right, this will take you to the power plant where there is plenty of parking for anglers. Here you will find the Owens River coming out of the power plant and slowly widening into the reservoir. Excellent stream fishing conditions are found here.

I found this on the bishop visitors site.
all the pics and post on this place really make me want to go.

Hunt4Fish
12-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the report, I had about the same luck on 12/2-12/3 at the ramp and about a 1/4 mile south, the hot bait for me was inflated N/C and then I tried the "dirty rat" white power egg w/natural powerworm w/ #10 misquito hook also. Nothing big either 16" max. I talked to a flyfisherman who fished up by the powerplant and he got about 35 RB with 4 @ 19". Can't get up there enough. H4F

fish'n fool
12-12-2008, 08:03 PM
From the north powerhouse it is about 1 mile to where the stream spreads out and becomes a "reservoir". This is where the "Big Rock" is. If you walk about another half mile you will come to the "Ramp". Both spots, I've found are really productive. The area around the Big Rock is very weedy. If the water level is down, which can happen at anytime, casting will get you stuck in a lot of weeds. The Ramp area is not weedy. The descent down to the water and most of PVR can be precarious if you're not careful. The Ramp area is a concrete ramp and offers a nice area to fish from.

I have developed the aforementioned technique with the Powerworm and it is very consistent. I've caught many fish when others aren't catching. Color does play a big part, I think, in getting fish. I start with the pink and I haven't been disappointed often. Orange and brown are other pretty good colors. I use this technique in the upper lakes with much success. If the bite gets slow, I will rotate colors until I find the one that seems to be working. This will change with the sunlight levels during the day. The Owner mosquito hook is also an important factor in getting bit. It is small and light.

My previous trips to PVR were not very productive because I wasn't presenting the Powerworm as I do now. Before I just used a split shot. With the Bubble technique, the worm floats just below the surface (I add a small split shot) and I will twitch it periodically and the trout seem to like it. I can feel them nipping at it as I retrieve the worm slowly.

billy b
12-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Got the Mosquito 10's ... but is the "dirty rat" white power egg w/natural powerworm w/ #10 misquito hook also.... mean a regular, live NC or the natural color powerworm?

GREAT INFO from both you and fish'n'fool ...thanks much

BishopTrouter
12-13-2008, 02:56 PM
great report... PVR is just unreal this season, im definitely looking forward to my next trip up there

Hunt4Fish
12-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Ahhh the "dirty rat" (AKA powermouse) a nickname given for the color combo from one of the staff at Irvine Lake. It is a white poweregg with a natural "colored" (brown) powerworm, but I am pretty sure a white poweregg with a 2"-3" piece of N/C would have produce similar results. I too threw it out as far as possible but I was set up with a 1/4 oz sliding egg sinker with 18" leader because my plan was to float it off the bottom, I started keeping a little tension on the line during the drop and just like Fish'nFool I was getting hit on the drop. Another method that worked that day was a white mini jig tipped with a meal worm 5 feet under a bobber on 2 lb test, I always try this when a slight wind puts a ripple on the water surface because that makes the mini jig dance which is suppose to look like a wounded bait fish, I think the scent of the meal worm closes more deals than without a meal worm. Hey Fish'n Fool are you using the red owner hooks?
H4F

Mater
12-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Interesting. Thank you.

billy b
12-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Thank you very much for the lessons. I know this is a thread about PVR. But, I'm learning a lot. I'm assuming that you thread the power egg up the hook - maybe even onto your line? ... and then slide it down when you're done putting on the power worm?

Do you then put on a complete section of pworm? Ever wacky-rig it? I would guess that a small piece of NC wouldn't need to be inflated since the pegg will float it?

BTW, what about using any of the other colors or peggs or pworms ... is the dirty mouse the big ticket?

Good stuff ... thanks!

fish'n fool
12-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Ahhh the "dirty rat" (AKA powermouse) a nickname given for the color combo from one of the staff at Irvine Lake. It is a white poweregg with a natural "colored" (brown) powerworm, but I am pretty sure a white poweregg with a 2"-3" piece of N/C would have produce similar results. I too threw it out as far as possible but I was set up with a 1/4 oz sliding egg sinker with 18" leader because my plan was to float it off the bottom, I started keeping a little tension on the line during the drop and just like Fish'nFool I was getting hit on the drop. Another method that worked that day was a white mini jig tipped with a meal worm 5 feet under a bobber on 2 lb test, I always try this when a slight wind puts a ripple on the water surface because that makes the mini jig dance which is suppose to look like a wounded bait fish, I think the scent of the meal worm closes more deals than without a meal worm. Hey Fish'n Fool are you using the red owner hooks?
H4F
I use the black mosquito hooks. Not for any particular reason. I've used the red before but it doesn't seem to matter which color hook I use. I've used the Powermouse sporadically in the Sierras but only when the bite is really slow, otherwise the cast-a-bubble technique has been a very effective method. I've also used with some success a red/white bobber with the PW. A small splitshot between the PW and bobber to get the PW below the surface.

Hunt4Fish
12-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Thank you very much for the lessons. I know this is a thread about PVR. But, I'm learning a lot. I'm assuming that you thread the power egg up the hook - maybe even onto your line? ... and then slide it down when you're done putting on the power worm?
That's exactly right, I also tried puting the pworm on first and the egg on last with equal success, it looks kinda like a pregnant minnow
Do you then put on a complete section of pworm? yes Ever wacky-rig it? no, but I know some that do I would guess that a small piece of NC wouldn't need to be inflated since the pegg will float it? different hooks have different wieght,always dip it in the water in front of you to verify if it is floating the hook.
BTW, what about using any of the other colors or peggs or pworms ... is the dirty mouse the big ticket? I only tried the dirty rat because I had just heard the phrase and had to try it, it was a big ticket that day, at Irvine Lake two other "big tickets" are white pegg and pink pworm or all chartruse, haven't tried these at PVR but should be a producer there alsoGood stuff ... thanks!

anytime, all the good people on this sight have gave me priceless info too!!!

It looks like Fish'nFool was using a black hook and I was using a red hook which proves the hook color didn't come into play.

H4F

Fish-N-Fool
12-19-2008, 11:04 AM
I dont get up to the Bishop/Lone Pine area all that much but.... Dude are we related?