PDA

View Full Version : Road/weather conditions?

the spinning reel bandit
12-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Me and a buddie are heading up to bishop on sunday to do some fly fishin! Is there snow on the ground at that level? We were going to try to go up as far as the east walker, upper owens, hot creek, pvr, lower owens. Just wondering the conditions at these places. Thanks fo any info!!!

Oh and will be posting pics after the trip!!!!

mth1997
12-11-2008, 05:14 PM
The East Walker is pretty high in elevation, you might get snow if there's a storm. Bridgeport definitely gets snowed on.

I've never seen snow in Bishop on 395 and I drive through there almost every winter. Sometimes a little dirty stuff on the ground, but never on the road.

Here's a link to the CA Dept. of Transportation website. You can search and find reliable and up to the hour info on any road. They usually do a great job of keeping 395 clear too.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/

deanhall32
12-12-2008, 07:53 AM
There is a 40%-50% chance of snow Sunday thru Wednesday in Bishop according to the NWS. Fishing should still be good!!

aboos
12-15-2008, 12:04 PM
The East Walker is pretty high in elevation, you might get snow if there's a storm. Bridgeport definitely gets snowed on.

I've never seen snow in Bishop on 395 and I drive through there almost every winter. Sometimes a little dirty stuff on the ground, but never on the road.

Here's a link to the CA Dept. of Transportation website. You can search and find reliable and up to the hour info on any road. They usually do a great job of keeping 395 clear too.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/

am i reading the dot.ca.gov website right??? for 395..
CHAINS OR SNOW TIRES ARE REQUIRED FROM 11 MI SOUTH OF LONE PINE (INYO CO)
TO 7 MI SOUTH OF LEE VINING (MONO CO)

11 miles south of LONE PINE?? holy crap.

sb fishing
12-15-2008, 02:07 PM
chains from lone pine to the nevada state line at this time

mth1997
12-15-2008, 04:30 PM
I've never had trouble until after Bishop going up, but I've been lucky (kinda).

A few years back my bro and I went to visit family in Carson City and drove from just north of Bishop all the way up on chains. Took us about 9 hours for that stretch. I lost a chain that beat the crap outta my truck as it fell off.

The following year we did the same trip around the same time and rolled my truck between the 2 junctions for the June Lakes Loop on a snow drift. No body damage, we rolled straight onto a pillow of snow, but my dumb-A brother steps on my gear shifter getting out of the sideways truck, leading to a thrashed transmission. The cops we ended up meeting were like Super Troopers! Awesome guys around the Mammoth/ Lee Vining area.

My track record is going down the toilet at this rate!! And I'm leavin that bastard home next time. Or is he my good luck charm? I can't figure out which.

Ragetron
12-18-2008, 11:00 PM
The 395 was clear all the way up to Mammoth today for all those wondering. Should be a little icy at night but was fine this afternoon. It is suppose to snow all day topmorrow up there though things may change soon.

WARRIORMIKE
12-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Me and a buddie are heading up to bishop on sunday to do some fly fishin! Is there snow on the ground at that level? We were going to try to go up as far as the east walker, upper owens, hot creek, pvr, lower owens. Just wondering the conditions at these places. Thanks fo any info!!!

Oh and will be posting pics after the trip!!!!

So where are the pics :Rolls Eyes::Rolls Eyes: Another one of Spinning Reel Bandits made up stories.

Jbro
01-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Heres the deal i just returned from there yesterday. All clear up to and past 203 Mammoth Lakes turn off but snow is comming so carry chains. I fished 2 places this week and eyeballed a 3rd. Upper O: very cold, took 4 of us less than an hour to get 6 fish but they were caught on imitation salmon eggs (puff ball) w/barbless hooks as is required on that watershed this time of year and DFG is very picky here so beware. All decent fish 12-14 with one 11inch brownie. Very cold there, and snow all over the ground (watch you step), no fish the hopper/dropper combo there. Same day looked at the 1000 yds of Hot Creek by the conservation center and all surrounding tribs are frozen only the main channel is open but it is loaded w/BIG fish. All catch and release here, watched 2 guys work very hard and get no strikes for over an hour. This will be an afternoon bite if it goes at all on tiny nymphs. The Lower O on the 30th with Tom Loe of Sierra Drifters fame led 4 of us, on 2 drift boats to 38 rainbows by tugging streamers on miles of untouched water. Got one on the dry fly there that day but almost all the action was subaquatic. There as still alot of fish in the water up there but it will be hard to get to w/much more snow if you are not driftboating. I wouldn't hestiate to call tom for a trip as he is great, the gear he provides is awesome, with lunch, and i have never struck out with him, and even had many 50+fish days on the Lower O/Crowley/Eagle Lake/West Walker and the like with him. Attached are photos from our day on the Lower O.