PDA

View Full Version : how long does line last?

sandimasguy
12-10-2008, 12:32 PM
so how long can i run some line on a reel before i have to take it off and respool it. normally if i dont fish alot inb the salt ( which is me right now ) ill change it before each trip which will every few months. do i need to do that or what?

Nessie Hunter
12-11-2008, 07:23 AM
so how long can i run some line on a reel before i have to take it off and respool it. normally if i dont fish alot inb the salt ( which is me right now ) ill change it before each trip which will every few months. do i need to do that or what?

If I read this right your FreshWater fishing the most????

Its in the Saltwater forum???

If so, my personal rule of thumb on Freshwater is;
"the lower the line size, the more often I change it"
FreshWater:
2# every 2 trips or sooner.
4# every 4 trips or sooner.
6# every 6 trips or sooner.
Every thing for FreshWater is changed at least once every 2/3 months....
If its on a Reel I havnt used very often, I change each time I take it out..
I also check the first 50 yrds 'each time', if I feel the slightest wear, abrasion or snags in that section, but not after, I cut it off...

Saltwater. Much more often, (often each outing), depending on line size..
Anything less then 12# in salt is changed each outing. Over 12# depends on time since last outing...
30#, 40#, 50# and up.. Once a season, if I had a chance to rinse it well.
But I dont take any chances with line.. Its to cheap to skimp on...

I use (did) Cuda for 2#, 4#, 6# & 8#... Price to quality is great.
10# & up I use Big Game, again price to quality is great...
At 10# I feel Big Game and Cuda equal out in quality to price and Big Game is much easier to find.....
Under 10# Cuda is much better IMHO..

Price plays a big factor when you change a lot of line, often...

sandimasguy
12-11-2008, 11:32 AM
If I read this right your FreshWater fishing the most????

Its in the Saltwater forum???

If so, my personal rule of thumb on Freshwater is;
"the lower the line size, the more often I change it"
FreshWater:
2# every 2 trips or sooner.
4# every 4 trips or sooner.
6# every 6 trips or sooner.
Every thing for FreshWater is changed at least once every 2/3 months....
If its on a Reel I havnt used very often, I change each time I take it out..
I also check the first 50 yrds 'each time', if I feel the slightest wear, abrasion or snags in that section, but not after, I cut it off...

Saltwater. Much more often, (often each outing), depending on line size..
Anything less then 12# in salt is changed each outing. Over 12# depends on time since last outing...
30#, 40#, 50# and up.. Once a season, if I had a chance to rinse it well.
But I dont take any chances with line.. Its to cheap to skimp on...

I use (did) Cuda for 2#, 4#, 6# & 8#... Price to quality is great.
10# & up I use Big Game, again price to quality is great...
At 10# I feel Big Game and Cuda equal out in quality to price and Big Game is much easier to find.....
Under 10# Cuda is much better IMHO..

Price plays a big factor when you change a lot of line, often...

im not asking about freshwater int he salt forum im just sayin ive been doin more freshwater fishin lateley and my salt gear only gets one trip about every 3-4 months and i usually change the line for each trip but i was thinking maybe the line would be good for 2 trips even though they were months apart. but like you said its a cheap fix so ill probably just change it all out before i head out saturday. id hate for the lione to be all frail and me not be able to catch anything because of it

jerryG
12-16-2008, 09:13 PM
It really depends provided you rinse (hose) down your gear with a fresh water ASAP after each trip you should be able to get anywhere from 3 to 5 trips out of your line. However when the fishing is good I will change my line every 2 to 3 trips. If I'm going to be fishing offshore I always make sure to have fresh line on all my reels. Spectra backing is well worth the investment then you only have to change out your topshot. Plus it just might save you the frustration and disappointment of getting spooled when you hook that big fish on your light set up.. If I catch a big fish on ligher setup I may decide it's time change my line after a single fish or may be a couple fish. If your line feels frail, stretched out or even questionable change it. Old line will result in lost fish...

JerryG

surfnfish
12-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Having a s[ectra backing definately does help to save a lot of money over time. As far as changing line I feel it depends on the individual and each individual trip. There are all kinds of factors like rubbing on structure, stretching on fish and simply being worn by sun and salt. The more fisih you hook the more you want to change your line up. I know of pplenty of hardcore big game guys thta change their line on the boat every time after just a few fish, because that's what gives them confidence. If you feel fine continuing on with the same line over time thats fine, but I would definately say never go more than 3-4 trips without switching your line up. And in case you were wonderin what kind of line though i don't think you askeed, Its all about Izorline XXX smoke, its gets bit well, is super limp, provides the right amount of stretch and is really abrasion resistant. On top pf all that is inexpensive, it is by far the best value and best quality line out there

pokerface12
12-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Having a s[ectra backing definately does help to save a lot of money over time. As far as changing line I feel it depends on the individual and each individual trip. There are all kinds of factors like rubbing on structure, stretching on fish and simply being worn by sun and salt. The more fish you hook the more you want to change your line up. I know of pplenty of hardcore big game guys thta change their line on the boat every time after just a few fish, because that's what gives them confidence. If you feel fine continuing on with the same line over time thats fine, but I would definately say never go more than 3-4 trips without switching your line up. And in case you were wonderin what kind of line though i don't think you askeed, Its all about Izorline XXX smoke, its gets bit well, is super limp, provides the right amount of stretch and is really abrasion resistant. On top pf all that is inexpensive, it is by far the best value and best quality line out there
I second what he says.

Lightline
12-17-2008, 09:38 PM
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

jerryG
12-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Having a s[ectra backing definately does help to save a lot of money over time. As far as changing line I feel it depends on the individual and each individual trip. There are all kinds of factors like rubbing on structure, stretching on fish and simply being worn by sun and salt. The more fisih you hook the more you want to change your line up. I know of pplenty of hardcore big game guys thta change their line on the boat every time after just a few fish, because that's what gives them confidence. If you feel fine continuing on with the same line over time thats fine, but I would definately say never go more than 3-4 trips without switching your line up. And in case you were wonderin what kind of line though i don't think you askeed, Its all about Izorline XXX smoke, its gets bit well, is super limp, provides the right amount of stretch and is really abrasion resistant. On top pf all that is inexpensive, it is by far the best value and best quality line out there

I agree. I used to swear by Andy Premium Line (not Andy Tournament). One day Russ Izor strongly recommended that I give his new fishing line (Izorline) a try. I took his advice and never looked back. Izor is great line.

JerryG

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-18-2008, 03:24 PM
you simply need to monitor the condition of the line, saltwater really tend to break down the consitency of most lines...

In the past, I've typically changed standard lines every trip or every other trip, that salt wears hard on most mono, flouro and copolymers....

I have been running more seaguar in the salt (and fresh) and this line REALLY hold up well to all elements, salt, sunlight (UV Rays) rocks and abrasions of sorts, my last spooling of seaguar lasted over 9 trips in the salt and I fish it REAL Hard...of course it's pricey but if you look at how much less you need to spool it's saving a grip in the end...

It all depends on the batch and type of line you fish with and how hard you push your line when out...

Freshwater will last much longer but again it depends on the line type and the specific batch (in case you buy an old shelf life spool).

You really cannot nail it down to time or amount of trips, you gotta sort of guage the lines consitency and feel it to see if the lines integrity is still acceptable, uv rays/harsh sunlight penetrate certain types of lines and it will greatly reduce lifespan....

If you let line sit for any real length of time CHANGE it...I know changing line often can get pricey but you need to think of it in terms of the next cast might produce a fish of a lifetime...do you really want to chance a breakoff due to line breakdown ?
Especially when it's that toad fish you've been chasing for years !

If you feel you line with your fingers and inspect it closely, visually, you should be able to determine when it's time to change.

Of course if the line has twists or your spool is only half full change it or at least strip down to 1/2 spool and use a blood knot and re-spool till full.
Also try P-line original or vanish (vanish not as good in salt or rocky situations)

I don't know if this helps you but this is how I roll with it..

Good luck,
Gary

P.S.
I do like that Ande too ! (clear not the green) mono, I've landed huge fish that I thought would smoke that line....higher diameter and not as durable for several trips but its much cheaper...I've landed 40 lb fish on their 15 lb mono...thats pretty good for mono..

Ifishtoolittle
12-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Read in a book once that after line has been used for over 24 hours on the water it needs to be changed, but correct me if I'm wrong.

-Ifishtoolittle

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Read in a book once that after line has been used for over 24 hours on the water it needs to be changed, but correct me if I'm wrong.

-Ifishtoolittle
I cant say that I can sign off on that theory, everyone has their own beliefs and experiences but in my 30 plus years of fishing (more plus than I care to mention) I've found the aforementioned points to be apllicable.

It really boils down to how the line gets abused during each outing and the enviroment it's put through....

Like I mentioned I had the last spooling of seaguar 10lb in the salt well over 9 trips and I'm fishing at minimim 8 hrs....sometimes up to 14 hour days/nights and I'll add that when I respooled the line was still in great shape it's just that I lost much yardage to snags in the rocky jettyline so I was just low on line at that point.

And I was catching pretty sizable fish to put max strain on this line

I'm not suggesting each spooling will have this same lifespan, I'm just giving an example....each spool has it's own deal...

Close inspection and feel is the key, if one runs the line through their hands you can feel when the lines consistency has been comprimised, it doesn't even have to be nicks or abrasions either but thats a huge red flag as well....

Not sure who wrote that book but I gotta honarably disagree with that theory.

Judge for yourself, I am not necessarilly an expert but I have been doing this for quite a long time, as I state, work the line through the hand, inspect it closely, watch for twisting (easily found when casting a spinning setup)...

You'll see what I'm reffering to