PDA

View Full Version : Need Help from Boat Owners

johnhinla72
12-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I am looking to get a boat (12ft - 14ft aluminum boat w/10hp) and would to know the cost of ownership; insurance, gas, launching fee, etc....

Thank you.

Sandman
12-09-2008, 09:32 PM
unless you fish.....a bunch.......rent. 50 bucks split between a few buddies once a month or so is way better than having to pay for the boat,register,mantain, and store a boat of your own. Sold mine over the summer.
my .02 cents
good luck

johnhinla72
12-09-2008, 09:42 PM
unless you fish.....a bunch.......rent. 50 bucks split between a few buddies once a month or so is way better than having to pay for the boat,register,mantain, and store a boat of your own. Sold mine over the summer.
my .02 cents
good luck

What is the cost to register? Maintenance?

GeordyBass
12-09-2008, 11:15 PM
I am looking to get a boat (12ft - 14ft aluminum boat w/10hp) and would to know the cost of ownership; insurance, gas, launching fee, etc....

Thank you.

you don't need insurance unless you bought a brand new one from the dealer....you only pay about $20-40 every 2 years....gas is very cheap on small outboards...$5-7 a trip......you need to check on the lakes websites to find out what they charge to launch.....go to the thread before this one(looking to buy.....)...i posted some links of boats you maybe interested in,,,good luck,,,

johnhinla72
12-09-2008, 11:27 PM
you don't need insurance unless you bought a brand new one from the dealer....you only pay about $20-40 every 2 years....gas is very cheap on small outboards...$5-7 a trip......you need to check on the lakes websites to find out what they charge to launch.....go to the thread before this one(looking to buy.....)...i posted some links of boats you maybe interested in,,,good luck,,,

Thank you.

SOSO
12-10-2008, 12:59 AM
I'll be pitching in for gas..:Cool:

MAVERICK27
12-10-2008, 09:22 AM
I have an old boat and so far its well worth it. I pay $60 month to store it at Irvine, but then $8 launch is FREE every time. That alone pretty much pays half or more of the storage. I haveonly put gas in it once because Irvine isnt a huge drive around far lake. The aluminum boats with a 4 stroke are bulletproof and hardly ever need anything. People own those for years with nothing more than oil and plug changes. Dont insure it if its stored in a good spot...its safe

HEMAN
12-10-2008, 09:46 AM
i love my boat... but all the little things do add up... try to make sure the boat you buy... comes with everything you need and to enter specific lakes..

things people sometimes dont account for... (like me) haha.

$25 ball hitch
$10 adapter for trailer light
$10 each Life jackets
$6 wheel chocks (if you park it on the drive way)
$25 trailer hitch locks
$20 anchor
$10 fire extinguisher
$5 whistle
$20 oar
$5 flag
$15 rod holders
$10 throw cushion
$3 boat plugs.. ( suggestion is to always carry extras)

mmm. not sure if i'm missing anything else.. but those are just little things here and there you gotta think about as well...
i am recently a new boat owner and am glad my deal came with almost everything i needed/wanted. (thanks again Rooster)....

Tail Chaser
12-10-2008, 10:49 AM
If the engine is in good shape. (Very Cheap)
Tags on my 26' 25.00 YR
No storage, Boat sits at house.
Bells and whistles, Cost can add up quick.
Maintance....
Spark plug
Lower gear oil and engine oil once a year
Launch fees 6.00 MDR
5.00 Oxnard
20.00 ? Castaic Lake 03 season.
Guess only the rich folk fish freshwater.

Rooster
12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
i love my boat... but all the little things do add up... try to make sure the boat you buy... comes with everything you need and to enter specific lakes..

things people sometimes dont account for... (like me) haha.

$25 ball hitch
$10 adapter for trailer light
$10 each Life jackets
$6 wheel chocks (if you park it on the drive way)
$25 trailer hitch locks
$20 anchor
$10 fire extinguisher
$5 whistle
$20 oar
$5 flag
$15 rod holders
$10 throw cushion
$3 boat plugs.. ( suggestion is to always carry extras)

mmm. not sure if i'm missing anything else.. but those are just little things here and there you gotta think about as well...
i am recently a new boat owner and am glad my deal came with almost everything i needed/wanted. (thanks again Rooster)....

I was reading all this thinking, what the hell is Heman talking about? I gave him almost all the stuff he listed.. LMAO :ROFL:
My bad Heman :Envious:

GeordyBass
12-10-2008, 03:55 PM
I was reading all this thinking, what the hell is Heman talking about? I gave him almost all the stuff he listed.. LMAO :ROFL:
i guess your the richer folk...:ROFL:

HEMAN
12-10-2008, 04:14 PM

haha yeah man. you gave me like more than enough stuff... that Duroboat rocks! thanks again...

i guess your the richer folk...:ROFL:
he gave me a super deal on a turnkey boat... he almost gave me a ball hitch to tow it home in too!

smalweld
12-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Yup gift boats are great.... Got my 11 foot jon boat that way along with the 5 hp motor. Dear old Dad called me up telling me he wanted to trade me motors.. I gladly traded the 5 hp motor for the 15 hp motor :) The only bad thing is the new motor is 2 stroke. I just need to take the boat out more.. LOL haven't taken it out this year, I have been too busy fishing the local streams!!!

Sean

BingJr
12-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Get insurance, it covers when your 12' aluminum accidently scratches a 60k fiberglass custom graphic job. It is VERY VERY minimal and well worth the piece of mind.

NoHo ART
12-13-2008, 12:43 PM
hope this helps

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/boa/956374915.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/boa/946989209.html

joedaplumber
12-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Get insurance, it covers when your 12' aluminum accidently scratches a 60k fiberglass custom graphic job. It is VERY VERY minimal and well worth the piece of mind.

just my opinion for what it is worth :

insurance on SMALLER boats is useless IF YOU OWN YOUR HOME

I TRIED TO INSURE MY BOAT TO MEET THE REQUIRMENTS OF A TOURNAMENT AND WAS ADVISED BY MY INSURANCE AGENT THAT ANY INSURANCE I BOUGHT would be a secondary plan & my home owners insurance was primary

it is amazing what you HOME OWNERS POLICY covers

quick story regarding the subject :

while flying models airplanes years ago a man was hit by a model plane there was serious injury that occurred and hospitalization as well as surgery was required.
afterwords a law suit ensued and was paid by the pilots home owners insurance even though the accident occurred @ a county park / flying field & not his residence:EyePop:

lesson learned

shy_boxer
12-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Hurry up and buy a boat...brah...let's go feesh!