PDA

View Full Version : Need a new set of pliers

Odium
12-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Last trip out my pliers get buried under a burlap sack. I just found them after 2 weeks of soaking in salt water. . .

Any suggestions for some rust proof or extremely rust resistant pliers? I'd prefer a belt clip combo so that i dont have to fish into my tackle box looking for them every time.

rcfb73
12-09-2008, 03:21 PM
bass pro had a pair of their XPS pliers with lanyard and sheath combo on sale for 10 bucks last week...not sure if its still on sale though.

candyman
12-09-2008, 03:50 PM
I believe you might be mistaken because the xps BPS pliers are 90 bucks and for them to go to 10 dollars is unlikely, maybe it was just a replacement blade or something. Oh and from the reviews they are not good, poor cutters.

Odium
12-09-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm looking at the Browning® Fishing Long Nose Pliers atm.

They are on sale at Bass Pro atm

rcfb73
12-09-2008, 05:13 PM
I believe you might be mistaken because the xps BPS pliers are 90 bucks and for them to go to 10 dollars is unlikely, maybe it was just a replacement blade or something. Oh and from the reviews they are not good, poor cutters.

had them in my hand....9.99. had them in the big bins that they have around the store.

almost bought them but i really have no purpose for them currently.

and from the reviews, good thing i saved that 9.99.

davidth626
12-10-2008, 01:12 AM
i have these awesome micro-coated titanium 6" pliers i got half a year ago and still havent rusted or chipped. and i usually wash it with saltwater to get off the fish blood(no fresh water available on boats) but yea its only 9 bucks and better and cheaper than shimano burreta pliers. forgot the name ill pm u the name brand when i find out.

sonarbp
12-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Last trip out my pliers get buried under a burlap sack. I just found them after 2 weeks of soaking in salt water. . .

Any suggestions for some rust proof or extremely rust resistant pliers? I'd prefer a belt clip combo so that i dont have to fish into my tackle box looking for them every time.

Hey ODium...there is nothing you will find that will be "rust proof"!! Saltwater is extremely corrosive and will rust or corrode almost any type of metal.....even aluminum!!! A simple solution would be to drop by your local Harbor freight and pick up a few pairs of long nose pliers and as they start to rust switch them out. Very cheap way to go running about $2.00 a pair. On the other hand there are a few "High end pliers" on the market but you will pay a ton for them...the only advantage is that they will take longer to rust.

My choice on the high end side would be the Van Staal line of pliers....Very expensive but very nice!!!!

http://www.tackledirect.com/vanstaalpliers.html

http://www.tackledirect.com/van-staal-big-game-pliers-set.html

It is very hard to justify paying that for a pair of pliers that might get dropped in the drink or get loss so I have a pair of Shimano saltwater fishing pliers with a clip on nylon sheath and a heavy duty pair of hemostats that I found at the swapmeet for $3.00.

Granny Fish
12-10-2008, 08:29 AM
I just soak mine in WD40. They look rusty but still work great.:Wink:

Nessie Hunter
12-10-2008, 08:58 AM
I just soak mine in WD40. They look rusty but still work great.:Wink:

It Works.... :Cool:

Between dropping and rust, I went through a few pair... :Embarrassed:

I started to coat them when 'new', and after a few outings, with quality saltwater Reel oil, especially down in the joint, (work it in well)...

The last pair has stayed very lose and workable for quite some time, they have even been to Cabo two times and I havnt even rinsed them off in a long time (many trips, at least 2 years now)....

I think I got them at WallyWorld for a few bucks, I got them with longer nose for dehooking, and tested the cutters on a piece of string to get best blades..
The preventive maintenance is what works for me...Turned cheap ones into good ones...

Simplyeman
12-10-2008, 10:57 AM

http://www.xtools.us/

Look into it, great products. They are sold at Sport Chalet. Don't have to worry about rust because its all rubber and plastic.

LA Smoker
12-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Channel locks are what a lot of deckhands use. They supposedly rust less but mine get pretty rusty, so I just put a drop of "break off" on it and it's as smooth as butter.

SOSO
12-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Berkely Carbide pliers!! They have lasted me over a year without any rust at all. Used them on many Saltwater fishing trips this past year. They have a coating that seems to protect it from Salt. But make sure to rinse in fresh water after every use. Never had to oil it.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewrapalasspliers.html

victor101
12-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Ive had a pair of calcuttas for a while now...used them in the surf and no rust yet.

Bobbyk
12-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Channel locks, end of discussion.

ghetto dad
12-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Channel locks, end of discussion.

check your pm bobby

Odium
12-11-2008, 09:17 AM
At this rate, I might end up getting a few set of pliers. I have a few secret santa's so it's not like I would be paying for multiple pairs. hahaha.

Thanks for the input so far guys!!

Lightline
12-11-2008, 09:32 AM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?id=0063575&navCount=2&parentId=cat21444&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat21404-cat21406-cat21444&parentType=index&indexId=cat21444&rid=

file:///C:/Users/Halibut/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-16.jpg

sonarbp
12-11-2008, 09:47 AM
That looks like a great all-in-one kit.....and pretty cheap too!!!

ikeman
12-11-2008, 04:52 PM
I've had a pair of Shimano pliers for quite a while now, probably 4yrs and no rust. Use them in the surf on the boat etc... great pliers. Maybe $15.00?

I think the new models are called the Brutas, black nickel finish, mine are a dull coated finish.

BingJr
12-11-2008, 09:18 PM
I have a stainless steel pair of shimano wrapped handle belt needle nose/cutter pliers and they are still as shiny chrome as the day I bought them. I have had them for about 4 years now. I love them.