PDA

View Full Version : Are lobsters caught locally safe to eat?

fisheromen
12-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey guys,
I never go hoopin but have long admired the yummy lobsters you guys bring up. Anyways, on behalf of a friend who is pregnant, has young boys, and a husband who catches lobsters in the local breakwater, are these lobsters safe to eat? She has been eating quite a bit as well as her younger boys... I always hear how you're not supposed to eat too much fish caught off our local surf / pier due to elevated mercury levels and other toxins...and these lobsters are bottom dwellers and are scavengers...Is there an amount not recommended for pregnant women and young children?

You thoughts / insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
fisheromen

~larissa
12-08-2008, 08:16 PM
cappo's brought home a few and i still haven't seen him glow... so i think you're safe :LOL:

mg2969
12-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Wow what a great question, I never really thought about it.
I'm not an expert , just my thoughts

Mercury:
Well since their not pelagics I don't think mercury is a problem
I check'd out
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html (http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Efrf/sea-mehg.html)

High mercury fish , such as shark and swordfish, has like 7-10x more mercury than lobster.

Other toxins:
White croaker is banned from consumption at least as far as I know in Long Beach and San Pedro.
Primarily because of the diet of worms which contains concentrated levels of toxins

Although lobsters do eat worms (probably as juvies), it only makes up a part of their diet.

A lot of SoCal's water is polluted to an extent,
checking out California State Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment at
http://oehha.ca.gov/fish/general/99fish_part2.html

Recommends a few fish caught inside 1 meal per 2 weeks.
Thats probably not bad advice for lobsters either.

Just my 2 cents

kwest10
12-08-2008, 11:53 PM
I also wanted to know to what extent is it safe to eat the tomal (guts) of these things. In new england they call it the "butter" or "mustard" I'm asian and my people eat it all. My mom made a hot pot stew and was wondering if it's safe. She's older, 60, or even for myself who would like to make a bisque or coipinno (sp?) out of the shells. Lots of good stock in those things. How should I clean them off?

Saba Slayer
12-09-2008, 07:48 AM
The tomally is probably the worst part of a lobster to eat. It is part of the combination liver and pancreas that the lobster has, and it cleans out all the impurities and polution that the lobsters eat....so you probably don't want to eat this very often if at all.
As far as a pregnent woman eating local lobsters and local seafood...I'd probably hold off until after the kid is born and breast feed...or at least limit the amount of meals. When I split a bug in half, I wash out anything that doesn't look like the meat of the bug.
Jim / Saba Slayer

Ricky-Ray
12-10-2008, 10:41 AM
I would stay away from the guts. Tried a small bit once...Tasted really nasty. I couldn't figure out how someone could call it the best part of the lobster.

As for eating the local lobsters....I would say just like anything else, if eaten in moderation you should be fine.

If you happen to come across a lobster that has a third eye or antenna..... well I would probably NOT eat that one.:ROFL:

BIGRED KILLA
12-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Very bad in are local waters and at the islands best to throw them back.

Bigred

WaterBound
12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Well just remember that the closer you are to the runoff and industrial sites the worse you will be. Power plants will of course be some of the worst areas for mercury. The tomalley tastes awesome! It is an explosion of flavor. For me it was an acquired taste. But, yeah I would not eat it too often either. That is the filter of the system. The appeal might be because of an endorphin release. Kind of like the reaction you get when you eat chilli peppers.

Bowlfrogg
12-10-2008, 01:47 PM
I've been eating them for years and have never had a problem. Eat away. I mean wait no they are bad, dont even go out.. That way there will be more for me..

chris
12-10-2008, 06:35 PM
the lobsters around here are bad for you. disregard any pictures or posts of me catching or eating lobsters. I repeat the lobsters are no good

olfishergal
12-10-2008, 07:14 PM
I have eaten a few and do not glow in the dark at all......yummmm I would love to get some right now.......OFG

fisheromen
12-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks to all who responded! Very helpful!

I'll be sure to pass the info to my friend!

:LOL:

Koshaw
12-11-2008, 05:31 AM
I just had some and they were very yummy =). I know someone who catches them all throughout the season and they taste great and he doesnt glow either ;).

In fact, he catches them off the coast of the nuclear power plant near dana point :D

kanco
12-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Local bugs are really bad for you. They will raise your cholesterol level and if eaten it may lead to heart disease.

If you catch any local bugs, do not consume.

PM me and I will come over and dispose of them properly. You will live a longer and healthier life.

I have made it my quest for the last 20 years, to rid our local waters of these ocean pests!

flyngby
12-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Keep them moist by pouring a bucket of water on the every hour or so and when you are ready to deliver them to me I will be there to greet you.

You are probably more at risk in breathing the air while getting them than you are in eating them.

PM me if you want my address!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

ahhvtec
12-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Local bugs are really bad for you. They will raise your cholesterol level and if eaten it may lead to heart disease.

PM me and I will come over and dispose of them properly. You will live a longer and healthier life.

I have made it my quest for the last 20 years, to rid our local waters of these ocean pests!

WTF? This guy...

fish4keep
12-12-2008, 09:52 PM
When my wife was pregnant, her doctor recommended not to eat any lobster. It didn't matter where it came from.

Captain Boracho
12-13-2008, 01:20 AM
You should never consume a lobster caught off our coast in any case...in fact you should call me and i will come free of charge and "dispose" of them properly for you. Its my civil duty to do so.... in all seriousness you should look at the government guidelines for the amount of crap allowed in your everyday eats and then think about how gross/polluted/hazzardous something swimming free in its natural habitat is.

DEADROOTS
12-14-2008, 01:35 PM
:EyePop:Look at these from last Tuesday!!:EyePop:

dixoncider
12-15-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't think you can see the Heavy Metal's that are in the lobsters. My take on it is to eat the smaller ones. The bigger they are the more time they have had to eat turds.

~larissa
12-15-2008, 11:39 AM

WTF? This guy...

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

well the guy did ask :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

saintarv
12-15-2008, 04:34 PM

I was going to post the same thing. Yes give me your lobsters and I will properly dispose them in my cooking pot. :ROFL: