PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek area tips?

keeters
06-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Sorry this is not a report - just looking for feedback.

Going up to Rock Creek area Thursday. Hopefully the low moving through the area right now does not kill the fishing.

I usually fish small spinners, bouyants and worms in Rock Creek but wondering if anyone can provide tips on where the monsters are in the area. I have never fished Convict - wondering if it would be worthwhile to check that area out (how do you get there from Tom's place?).

Feedback appreciated.

High Sierra Junkie
06-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Rumor is that a 2+-pounder has been pulled from Rock Creek Lake by an unknown angler. The creek and lake are both being stocked weekly and there's an abundance of trout, although the latest reports have said the fishing was a little slow. Try a nightcrawler or red/gold Thomas Buoyant in the lake and see what happens.

As far at the Little Lakes Valley above Rock Creek Lake is concerned, the lakes have thawed and the trail is snow-free up to the Gem Lakes. Basically mid-late June conditions.

As for Convict, I would have to say that you should definitely give it a try. From Toms Place, go north on 395 about another 10 miles and you will approach the turnoff on the left shortly after you notice the mammoth airport on the right side.

Best bet for current conditions is to ask when you get there.

High Sierra Junkie
06-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Just talked to my buddy at the RCL Resort. He tells me that the winds weren't a big problem at RCL. It was a bit windy yesterday but they did get 1 inch of snow this overnight! The forecast calls for continued cold to cool over the weekend with no expected precip. He said the fishing has been fair to good. Alpers have not been stocked yet this year, but he has been seeing people bringing in 6-7 pound Alpers two to three times a week for photos. Best bet for the lake are red/gold and red dot/silver Thomas Bouyants and Rainbow or Chartreuse Powerbait, and for the creek, salmon eggs or powerbait.

For you fly fisherman, the best bet for the lake (as usual) are Olive or Black Wolly Buggers and Olive Matukas in the evenings. For the creek and lake, mosquitos, adams, and elk hair caddis.

So with the exception of being a little on the cold side, it looks like Rock Creek Canyon might be a good bet for the weekend!

Hawkeye5447
06-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Dude thanks for the info. Thats all great info about two of my favorite lakes out there.

Joshua
06-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Sorry this is not a report - just looking for feedback.

I have never fished Convict - wondering if it would be worthwhile to check that area out (how do you get there from Tom's place?).

Feedback appreciated.
The turnoff for Convict is across from the Mammoth airport on 395/ Another 3 miles and you are there. And it is worth the drive. At the very least, it is worth a couple fotos.

Hitts0n
06-12-2007, 07:44 AM
8)

gwar666r
06-12-2007, 07:12 PM
When i went up to the lake they were hitting a red/gold T/B and i saw the people fishing with bait slayin them. I was up there 2 days ago and you can see fish jumpin in the lake about 10 yards out. Anyways good luck out there.

gwar666r
06-12-2007, 07:55 PM
When i went up to the lake they were hitting a red/gold T/B and i saw the people fishing with bait slayin them. I was up there 2 days ago and you can see fish jumpin in the lake about 10 yards out. Anyways good luck out there.

gwar666r
06-12-2007, 07:55 PM