PDA

View Full Version : Rockfish Questions

Ifishtoolittle
12-07-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm not much of a avid saltwater angler, but i manage to get around a catch my fare share of saltwater booty. Anyways my question are what is the the bag limit on rockfish and is there a size limit for rockfish, say a red snapper?

- Thanks, Ifishtoolittle

victor101
12-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Bag limit is 10 per angler. There are size limits and special bag limits on certain bottomfish such as Lingcod(24" -2fish/bag), Sculpin(10" -5fish/bag), Sheephead(12" -5fish/bag), Cabezon(15"- 1fish/bag), Bocaccio(10"- 1fish/bag)

Best way to keep up with the regs is to check out the website for info and updates http://dfg.ca.gov/marine/sportfishing_regs2008.asp

Fish Dog
12-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Rockfish regulations give me a headache. You might call here with any questions, or to get a quick summary of what's opened and what's closed and so on...
Call the Recreational Groundfish Fishing Regulations Hotline at (831) 649-2801

I think they close rockfish for two months in January or is it December?

SamFisher
12-08-2008, 12:30 AM
FYI: Lingcod is currently closed...so catch and release only.

Daily bag limit 10 whitefish and 10 others...others include the list of fish provided by
victor101. Be very careful as there are very specific depths that you are limited to
fish. Recently there have been several boats who's customers have been ticketed
by DFG for keeping red rockcod (anything redish) while others have not. So, you
may or may not get a ticket depending on who checks your bag limit!!??

SamFisher

ghetto dad
12-08-2008, 02:18 AM
FYI: Lingcod is currently closed...so catch and release only.

Daily bag limit 10 whitefish and 10 others...others include the list of fish provided by
victor101. Be very careful as there are very specific depths that you are limited to
fish. Recently there have been several boats who's customers have been ticketed
by DFG for keeping red rockcod (anything redish) while others have not. So, you
may or may not get a ticket depending on who checks your bag limit!!??

SamFisher

FYI....the "anything red" pertains to fishing San Nick.....i heard a few boats got tickets recently out there....illegal fish and depth violations....youd think the sportboats would know huh??? It wasnt out of our landing, btw....

GD

ddoskocil
12-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Any rockfishing spots near Oceanside right now? Or what about out of San Diego or Dana? I've seen mixed reports, a lot of small ones, but I just want to get out and catch a little. Thanks for any info (or Personal Message).

SamFisher
12-08-2008, 12:41 PM
FYI....the "anything red" pertains to fishing San Nick.....i heard a few boats got tickets recently out there....illegal fish and depth violations....youd think the sportboats would know huh??? It wasnt out of our landing, btw....

GD

A skipper or two from a local landing went over to the Long Beach office and asked what
they can catch and where they can fish. They said they didn't know. :(

SamFisher

ghetto dad
12-08-2008, 06:10 PM
A skipper or two from a local landing went over to the Long Beach office and asked what
they can catch and where they can fish. They said they didn't know. :(

SamFisher

??????????????????????????

Jackpot Jimmy
12-08-2008, 06:58 PM
It's 10 rockfish per angler, including boccacio, so you could have 1 boccacio and 9 other rockfish (i.e. vermillion rockfish, greenspotted rockfish, etc.). I believe they're upping the limit of boccacio to 2 per person starting in March. If you keep a rockfish under 10 inches, it must be gilled and gutted. You cannot bring cabezon filets to shore. Everything else is pretty much standard.

SamFisher
12-09-2008, 02:27 AM
??????????????????????????

Your reply is exactly the same as the skipper's when the DFG office told him they didn't know.

It's 10 rockfish per angler, including boccacio, so you could have 1 boccacio and 9 other rockfish (i.e. vermillion rockfish, greenspotted rockfish, etc.). I believe they're upping the limit of boccacio to 2 per person starting in March. If you keep a rockfish under 10 inches, it must be gilled and gutted. You cannot bring cabezon filets to shore. Everything else is pretty much standard.

Please keep in mind that there is a difference between rockfish and rockcod. I maybe
wrong but I do believe the limit in your quote above is only for rockcod. You can have
a 20 fish limit with a mixed bag of rockfish and rockcod.

SamFisher

ghetto dad
12-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Your reply is exactly the same as the skipper's when the DFG office told him they didn't know.

Please keep in mind that there is a difference between rockfish and rockcod. I maybe
wrong but I do believe the limit in your quote above is only for rockcod. You can have
a 20 fish limit with a mixed bag of rockfish and rockcod.

SamFisher

lmfao....no.....when we referred to them as "rock cod", it was when we were fishing depths of 400-700 feet, which we cant do anymore. They are the same thing Sam. They are considered "groundfish"....the limit is only 10......

My "????????" was in reference to the "Long beach Office...." comment Sam. I thought you were implying MY office at the landing...my bad....

GD

ghetto dad
12-09-2008, 08:54 AM

Damn Jimmy....were all confused on this....including myself...LOL....last time I checked, you could keep your ONE grouper, PLUS your 10 RF..unless that changed too..man, I cant keep up.....I need to get on these regs.......

GD

Ricky-Ray
12-09-2008, 10:54 AM
As far as I remember it was 1 grouper, and 10 rockfish (aka, reds, chuckles, treefish, etc.) Supposedly come March next year when rockfish season opens again the limit for groupers is going up to 2. Evidently they are not in danger of being extinct anymore.

ghetto dad
12-09-2008, 10:56 AM
As far as I remember it was 1 grouper, and 10 rockfish (aka, reds, chuckles, treefish, etc.) Supposedly come March next year when rockfish season opens again the limit for groupers is going up to 2. Evidently they are not in danger of being extinct anymore.

lol...like they EVER were......

GD