PDA

View Full Version : NBU ~ Colonet ~ ON FIRE~!!!!!!!!!

k3vin_kim
12-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Long time no report. Just been so busy these days w/work and all, I haven't had the chance to fish much. However, I couldn't pass up this opportunity to fish Punta Colonet w/some of my NBU boys. Unfortunately FJ couldn't make it on this trip - or any other trip for the rest of the year since he's spending his weekends moving.

So, Ymin, Gallog, LA Smoker, Eddie and myself signed up for a charter out of Seaforth to fish Colonet. 1.5 day on the Pac Voyager.

NOTE: The Pacific Voyager is perhaps the best fishing experiene i've encountered so far. The Captain (Mark) knows his S**T. The crew of 3 deckhands NEVER once picked up a pole to fish - always on the ball and alert. Constantly throwing chum, quickly getting tangles undone and Superb gaffing skills. The Chef makes the best damn Steak and potatos ever. The bunks are too comfortable and there are full size toilets.

Anyways, we all meet up at seaforth around 5. Met up w/some familiar faces on other charters. The charter had 21 people on the boat. Loaded up, grabbed our bunks, captain did the speech and we were off.

Plan was to wake up one of the high spots (170 ft) at Colonet and either yo yo or dropper loop for YT's. And YT's is what we found. These Mexican bohemoth's fight like no other. The average size of these things ran around 20-25 pounds. But they just pull like crazy so as soon as your rod loads up- USE THE RAIL~!!! Keep that bend in your rod and just start CRANKIN~! Button down on 40-50 or even 60# test.

The morning was spent slaying the mossbacks. We started around 7:20AM and by 10:30 we managed to land around 40 YT's. Nothing dinky - all were Quality fish and SOLID.

I managed to land 2 and farmed 2. Most everybody who had one hooked got either rocked or 'binked' bcuz they didn't re-tie. Congrats to Sammy for landing the first YT of the day. Nice job. Also to Bob and Eddie who man-handled both of their fish. Unfortunately for Mike, I can honestly say that he fished the hardest and was in the water more than anybody but couldn't get bit. Everybody knows how that feels. In between people who hook up and ure stuck in the middle hold your pole. Next year Mike I'm sure you'll redeem yourself and then some.

After catching my double, I was spent on jigging a heavy Salas 6X for a god 3 straight hours, so i picked up my dropper loop and a couple strips of squid. Wanted to see what other rockfish were down there. I hit bottom and immediately feel a small nibble - followed by a WHAM~!! I played seesaw on the rail again thinking it might be another yellow but it did the signiture - pump pump puming action of a lingcod. So i eased off the rail and did a slow grind and up came a FRIEKIN' LINGASAURUS~!!! It looked and felt like 20-25 pounds but nobody had a scale so I'm going to say it was 25 pounds. lol.

After the YT bight died down, we made a 4 mile move further south and Rock fished at around 350 to 400 feet. Shrimp flies were preferred w/strips of squid. Since we were in Mexican waters, the hook regulation doesn't apply so some people had 5-6-7-8 hook ganions and 1 pound weights... Most coming back up w/5-6-7-8 HUGE Reds, Bocs, Bosco's, Starry's, Lings, Goats, Chillies Etc... I'm not talking about border line fish - I'm talking 5-10 pound rockfish.

Fishing was just so perfect. Not an inkling of wind, comfortable 72 degrees outside, still as a lake. On my first drop on the deep spot, i only used a regular 2 hook shrimp fly rig - what's the rush? we still have 6 hours to fish. Anyways, on my first drop, my rod loaded up like CRAZY~! Wind and SWING.. steady crank.. steady crank... Arms were burning at around 300 feet. It's weird, it seemed like the closer it got the boat, the more the rockfish were fighting. So it comes to color and I ended up w/a DOUBLE ling. The VERY next drop produced another Ling w/a boc on the top. 4 lings in 6 drops. Everyone was just having a blast during the rockfishing. Eddie caught a 10 POUND CHILLY~!!! NO BS - A TEN POUND CHILLY. Please somebody post that picture up b'cuz i my camera ran out of battery by then.

We had another good hour to fish left in the day but the captain got on the PA speaker and told us to wind em up b'cuz one of the anglers was having a heart attack. Poor guy. An older guy looked about 70 years old or so. Said he couldn't feel his body or limbs - a telltail sign of a stroke coming on. So we quickly pulled up and the captain called the coast gaurd. The chopper took about an hour to meet us in the middle of the ocean and the old man was airlifted. All the anglers were sent into the galley but thru a small crack in the door, we saw the basket come down and he was hoisted up and safely to a hospital. Dude, the chopper was about 75-100 feet above our boat and it felt like a hurricane~!!! Water spraying everywhere and the whole galley was shaking from the propeller beats. That's not something you see everyday when you're out fishing.

So in conclusion, it was the best trip i've been on this whole year. We all had a great time.

Jackpot went to an older gentleman that landed a 32-35#pound YT

My final count...

2 Yellows
4 Lingcods
1 Goat
1 Bonito
7 Reds
2 Boscos
1 Boccacio
2 sore arms.

Thanks to Bruce the chartermaster for having us on this epic trip. And to the NBU boys, we really went out there kicked butt. Good job guys.

KK

lizzay
12-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Good job on the YTs. Per your report, it seemed so easy for you! Man, this gives me some hope. Awesome story and report, I hope that old man is ok, sucks to have such a huge thing happen to you out there like that. I can't imagine how he felt.

k3vin_kim
12-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks Lizzay,

It might have sounded easy in the report - but believe you me - my shoulders are paying for it right now. If you ever jig heavy like Salas 6X - I'd definately suggest using a 2 speed or a high speed. The hot color was Scrambled egg or green/blue/white. All jig hits for me were about the first 8 cranks.

Yeah and it was too bad for the old guy - He coudln't sit still for more than 30 seconds so he ended up laying down on the bait tank on top of gunny sacks and a pillow. That's going to be one HELL of a hospital bill. The chef said this was the second time this has happened and the airlift alone will run him about 7 grand~!

4g63power
12-07-2008, 11:55 AM
sick looking ling son...send some fillet down

k3vin_kim
12-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks Jimmy - The ling was actually a hitchhiker on a small starry eye.

JapanRon
12-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Hi K3vin_kim,

Great effort on reaccounting the trip and pics !! WTG on the fishys. It would be fun burning out a 6500 C3 on one of those yellows !!

Excellent report made up for your absence !!

JapanRon

sansou
12-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Good stuff! Congrats on the lings and yellows!

I love Colonet. That place always produces. Can't wait to fish a tad south of there in a few weeks.

Good seeing you guys at the landing!

Gallogg: I can't wait to put that ATC to use. It looks and feels like a winner! You did a nice job on it.

See you guys around!

Bucket bay
12-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Nice work boys and I mean it literally, when’s the cookoff.

k3vin_kim
12-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Hey there Tsuri-kichi~! Thanks for the complment. Yeah my little hiatus was just temporary. I'm gonna try to fish more this coming year.

Rich~! Too bad you couldn't make with us on our "GAY" fishing trip. LOL. Good seeing you again brother.

Duane~! Whattup dude?? You know i don't eat fish. But since my little time off the water, i've got 6 people that have been begging me for this table fare. Next time bro, next time.

Wingnut
12-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I was wondering where you disappeared to? Awesome catch, congrats to all. :Shocked: :Cool: :Envious:

gallogg
12-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Nice report, Kev...
It was an awesome fishing trip.
We'll do it again soon!!!

Sammy

daveg456
12-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Nice trip. That ling is a toad.

I go on the Endeavor for the 1.5 day Colonett trips in the winter and that has to be one of the more underrated trips and your description of the boat and crew reminded me of them, including the full size toilets. In fact, I've been on a trip in January where I got 7 yellows plus limits of rockfish. Can't beat that. And those yt are homeguard fish so they fight like crazy and they have the extra cold water fat in the flesh that makes them taste way bettter than any kelp patty summer fish.

Fish the heavy iron in the morning for yt and then you have the rest of the afternoon for rockfish. A nice dinner and a full nights sleep on the way back. Perfect trip in my book. Nice job.

supasportkid
12-07-2008, 07:58 PM
awesome report! those are quality fish! thanks

k3vin_kim
12-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Arthur~! My man. Sorry i've been MIA for so long. Ever since that one time you turned me down when i invited you - i kinda lost all interest in fishing.

Sammy - and to think, i was THIS close to not going on the trip. Good thing I decided to jump back on at the last minute.

DaveG - That's exactly what our trip entailed - YT's in the morning and then ended the day codding. Thanks for reading.

Supasportskid - Yes indeed the fish were all quality poundage. The best was fighting those forktails though... just STUPID bending action.

Wingnut
12-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Arthur~! My man. Sorry i've been MIA for so long. Ever since that one time you turned me down when i invited you - i kinda lost all interest in fishing.

Yeah right bro. :ROFL: Looked like you made up for lost time big time. :Envious:
The next time you invite me to go fishing, try to give me more than 24 hour notice. :LOL: :Wink: :Cool:

k3vin_kim
12-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Nice fishing w/you again John.

Everybody~~ Baby killer tied for 1st place on the YT count. 4 Mossbacks - ALL caught on Dropper loop... NICE job J~!

troutdog
12-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Now that is my kind of winter saltwater fishing :EyePop:

Congrats to you and the NBU crew on an awesome trip out, you guys must have been stoked big time! Nice grades of yellows, lings, rockfish and you have a recipe for an epic trip. It happend to good group of guys....

Keep reports like that coming, although we gotta get you on the photobucket tip so I don't have to click on those thumbnails! :LOL:

Man sorry to hear about the older guy going down like that, hope he pulled through ok.

Take care K3V,

TD

blackwater
12-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Nice report... the helo overhead is an awesome experience... too bad under those conditions...
BW

deanhall32
12-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Not bad... Looks like you are starting to get some definition in your biceps Kev!!!!!!! Can't be from pulling on fish..

k3vin_kim
12-08-2008, 07:19 AM
TD - thanx for the warm response. Yeah fish for fish - the NBU came back w/the most impressive #'s. Overall, our group was pretty much bent the whole time.

"Get 'im BOB~!"

"Get 'im Eddie~!"

"Get 'im Sammy~!"

"Get 'im MIke~!"

"Kevin's on another LING?!?!!?"

I was dubbed the Ling King of the day.

Blackwater, The chopper overhead was straight out of SOCOM Navy Seals on PS2. You know that level where you have to shoot the helicopter down?? The blades are so powerful. ANd just think. It's a 12 hour boat ride to get to the spot but it only took an hour for them by air. That thing must've been hauling *****.

k3vin_kim
12-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Coach - LOL. It's definately not from pulling on fish. Thanks for noticing man, that really makes taking steriods worth while.

Tail Chaser
12-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Very cool pics and report.:Thumbs Up:

DavidE
12-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Way too SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to slay KK!!!

gallogg
12-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Kevin,

You had the hot hands that day.
I'm glad you came and showed what you did!!!

Babykiller,

Isn't it time to change your name?
Doesn't it always feel awesome when you get beat up by those YT's?

My arm is still f'ed up, my wife had to give me massage for an hour.

Let's do this again killers!!!

I was so happy to fish with so many YT killers on this boat.
You all know how to pull!!!

Nice job again, serial killers!!!
LOL!!

Sammy

boxl0bster
12-08-2008, 10:15 AM
good job man, looks like an awesome trip! thanks for the report.

cappo
12-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah Boy!!! Glad you were able to land a lingasaurus.
The Pac voyager in deed is an awesome boat.
Was Mr. Jeff cooking? He makes some amazing food.

gallogg
12-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah Boy!!! Glad you were able to land a lingasaurus.
The Pac voyager in deed is an awesome boat.
Was Mr. Jeff cooking? He makes some amazing food.

cappo,

you got that right. Jeff is an awesome chef!
He fed us with nice dishes all day long!!!

Sammy

k3vin_kim
12-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Tail Chaser
Big Bad DavidE
Box_lobster
We really could've used your skills guys - the tail count probably would have doubled~!

Cappo~ My inspiration when it comes to LingCodding. That bastard kept diving on me, and i was being real careful cuz i was on 30# mono. But somehow got that ling to spin up towards the surface. I was hoping to God that one of those teeth wouldn't touch the line.

ghetto dad
12-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Not too shabby....

GD

k3vin_kim
12-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks Steve - there was a deckhand on the native twilight crew that caught 4 yt's too. can't recall the name but he's a youngster w/dirty blonde hair. That guy could fish~!

gallogg
12-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks Steve - there was a deckhand on the native twilight crew that caught 4 yt's too. can't recall the name but he's a youngster w/dirty blonde hair. That guy could fish~!

Steve,

His name was Cameron, the white dude.
He slayed 3 yellows and showed he's got skills.

Sammy

~larissa
12-08-2008, 01:53 PM
congrats on your catch !! i saw the pic you text over.. all i had to say was WOW :Shocked:

madbass
12-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Wow! Now that's a trip, what a way to end the year with a bang! i hope the old guy is doing okay. contrats to you and your buddys!

ghetto dad
12-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Sammy and K3v...did he catch 3 or 4 yellows???

GD

crappiemike
12-08-2008, 08:45 PM
good job out there!!!

CM

Native Gal
12-08-2008, 11:49 PM
KK,
Congrats to you and your crew you guys killed it out there. You always have an awesome post of your trips.
Thanks for the killer report and the pixs. :Thumbs Up:

NG

fishmaniac
12-09-2008, 01:39 AM
Awesome ling Kev!

Way to slay!

gallogg
12-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Sammy and K3v...did he catch 3 or 4 yellows???

GD

Steve,

He got 3 yellows and 1 mako.
What a deckhand he is.............................

Sammy

Oz
12-09-2008, 01:14 PM
looks like u all had an awsome trip. congrats guys.

k3vin_kim
12-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks all ~!

Nice avatar Oz - fitting.

Ricky-Ray
12-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Hey K3vin. Way to go on them Colonett mossbacks. Great report and pics. Was wondering where you were hiding at. We need to share a rail one day.

Hope that guy is feeling better. We had a guy on the Freedom that had a heart attack when we were at SCI and we had to pull anchor so we could meet with the coast guard ASAP. Me and one of the deckhands were at the stern when the chopper came and dropped the basket and we put him in and then they took off. That was crazy.

gallogg
12-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Just got a phone call from Cameron.
He said his father is okay now.
He said thanks to all who concerned.

Sammy

Ricky-Ray
12-09-2008, 04:46 PM
That's great to hear.

Ambassadorhawg
12-09-2008, 06:34 PM
WTG K3vin! Looks like I shoulda been there, my kinda trip!

bsp
12-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Killer job on the yellows and ling Kevin! I need to get on one of those trips, but school is a pain right now. Think those fish will stick around for a few weeks?

What happened to that guy is scary. Good thing the coast guard got him.

k3vin_kim
12-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Ricky/Mike - whattup doggs~! Long time. It was just one of those trips you know? ANd not the kind where the fish had lockjaw. One of those trips where everything went RIGHT~! We're planning on another trip next month... sometime in January

Bsp - I think the YT's will still be around too. Check out the rendezvous section soon. 120 miles south of SD, those homeguards are around pretty much all year.

CHECK OUT RONDEZVOUS SOON guys.

k3vin_kim
12-16-2008, 12:15 PM
It's time guys...

Boat: Pacific VoyagerLanding: Seaforth Landing in San Diego
Date: Leaving 6pm Friday 1/9/09 and Return 6am Sunday 1/11/09
Targeted Species: Yellowtail, Lingcod, Rockfish
Fair: $275 including 3 meals. (Tips, Fish Cleaning, Jackpot, and Drinks are extra!)
Maximum Load: 22Thing to Bring: 40, 50, and 60lb outfit (These yellows are monsters) 1lb (16oz) sinkers, Salas 6X Dorado, Scrambled Egg, and Blue & White YoYo Jigs.

Sign up on Rondezvous and let's come back w/one hell of a post you guys. You don't need to wait until summer to pull on monster mossbacks.