PDA

View Full Version : Catalina sailboat trolling suggestions plz?

awfulsailor
06-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Hey guys, love your forum.

Every year (late june or early july) we trailer our 25 ft. motorsailor out from Phoenix and spend a week in your beautiful waters. We launch out of MDR and sail or motor out to Catalina. On the way I usually troll a line (50#) out back (about 50 yrds) in hopes of catching something on the way. So far no luck on the trolling. This year I have invested in a downrigger to get the lure deeper. For lures I have been using cedar plugs and squid lures. Not looking for any specific fish, just something tasty. Although snagging a YT would be nice.

My question is what am I doing wrong? Any sugestions on modifications to my rig? I would like to stay with lures rather than fresh bait but would like opinions one way or the other.

Can anyone help a zonie out?
Thanks
Eric in Phoenix

victor101
06-05-2007, 05:02 PM
first off...welcome to the board! i dont know much about trolling but if you want to catch some fish....when you get to catalina, drop a 20# line with dropper loop and a 3oz weight with a strip of squid on the hook and your gonna catch a fish of some sorts for sure.

sansou
06-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Troll speed issues? Most boats in the summer keep it around 10kts or less... If you can't maintain that, try steering in "S" curves.

awfulsailor
06-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the welcome to the board! Our troll speed is usually about 6-7 knts. Thats about as fast as we can go. Hey victor, this may sound super ignorant but whats a dropper loop? :)

Thanks
Eric

victor101
06-05-2007, 05:58 PM
hope this helps http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniq ... _loop.html (http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/fishing_knots/knots_dropper_loop.html)
attach a 4 oz weight to the bottom of your line. drop your line to the bottom and youll eather catch some rockfish, perch, sheephead...

farmacist
06-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Pull some bigger rapalas or other similar baits. I think they are CD14's maybe, in sardine or mackeral patterns. I scored 5 or 6 bonita last year off my friends 22ft cat w/ a sardine pattern rapala... all under sail. Good Luck!

- farmacist

awfulsailor
06-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the link victor. I get what you mean now. How far up from the weight do you rig the dropper loop? I havent fished that type of rig before and will definately give it a shot. Fresh or frozen squid make a diffenence?

Farmicist,
I think I already have some rapalas but if I dont I will pick some up. What speed were do guys running and how deep was the lure? Attached is a picture of the last time I fished Catalina. Little foggy that week. The other is of my little motorsailor, a La Paz 25 at anchor 30 miles out of Guaymas Mexico.

awfulsailor
06-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Oh and if any of you guys can reccomend a good fishing supply near Marina Del Rey that would be great. The only one I know of is the West Marine and they didnt really seem to be very knowledgable.

Thanks
Eric

victor101
06-05-2007, 09:35 PM
id say 18"-24". fresh or frozen will both work. and like farmacist said, those lures wil work for bonita. as well as iron jigs. for bonita i have this 4 1/2" megabait iron in metalic sardine color that works very well.

fishncatalina
06-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Where's your fishing rod in the pic? :lol:

awfulsailor
06-05-2007, 10:15 PM
I wondered if anybody would comment on my fancy rail mounted trolling rig. :) It might not be fashionable but is common with long range sailboaters. I do have other polls but just use the rail mount for trolling. I assume that it is a ok setup but now that I think of it I have yet to have anything hit on it yet?? lol

Fish Dog
06-05-2007, 10:34 PM
I would also vote for some type of lure like the CD14 Rapala. You might want to use a trolling strap on your rod/reel which lets the rod point right at the lure. I think swimming type lures, like the Rapalas, will stay in the water better if the rod tip is as close to the surface as possible, (especally if you're going a little fast, like if you get a good wind). Just make sure your rail is good and strong.

spiceguy
06-06-2007, 09:08 AM
I would recommend using a fishing pole...................... :wink:

uscjeffer
06-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Personally I like the Rapala magnums in CD 14 or Cd 11. First choice on color would be green mac. When trolling them make sure you have a swivel a ways up the line to prevent any twisting.

I would also troll a tuna feather maybe a 4-5" one again with a swivel no wait, let the sucker drag the surface. For colors anything with bright green seems to do well.

Cedar plugs seem worthless up here. Tuna feathers might be a better option depending on speed.

awfulsailor
06-06-2007, 08:33 PM
USC,

Went out today to Cabellas and picked up a cd-14 in green it just so happens. How deep do most generally run these? The package says to run it at 15-18 ft.

Also picked up a YoZuri Hydro Squirt. Anyone out there use this one? Any tips?

Thanks
Eric