PDA

View Full Version : hermosa beach mackerel?

lilmystery246
12-04-2008, 11:20 PM
im going to hermosa pier tommorow to get some mackerel... i heard these are good for catfish. whats the best bait to catch them with? i tried anchovies and they worked great but i want to try something eles. any suggestions?? oh and how do i use these for catfish bait? do i cut them in big chunks? do i dip them in something? do i keep them frozen until ready to use:???:

hakaveli
12-04-2008, 11:33 PM
squid strips and split shot or a sabiki rig is all u need

fish4keep
12-05-2008, 06:40 AM
Ditto on the squid and sabiki.

chunk the mack and flyline the bait on a UL. do not freeze, as the bait will become mush once thaw out. imho, fresh is best. no scent needed.....

lilmystery246
12-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Ditto on the squid and sabiki.

chunk the mack and flyline the bait on a UL. do not freeze, as the bait will become mush once thaw out. imho, fresh is best. no scent needed.....

Thanks but what does ditto mean? Lol

MAVERICK27
12-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Fresh is good, but if you dont have the means to keep it fresh...freeze it with plastic on it. Lay it flat on a board and cut chunks startin with the head and cuttin 3/4 inches wide all the way through the fish. shoud look like a little steak. Fly line with a 6/0 hook and fish on!! I don't know about anywhere else, but at Irvine they love it!!!!...Just NO weight!! Oh yeah, and bring me some too :)

lilmystery246
12-05-2008, 02:45 PM
:Envious:
Fresh is good, but if you dont have the means to keep it fresh...freeze it with plastic on it. Lay it flat on a board and cut chunks startin with the head and cuttin 3/4 inches wide all the way through the fish. shoud look like a little steak. Fly line with a 6/0 hook and fish on!! I don't know about anywhere else, but at Irvine they love it!!!!...Just NO weight!! Oh yeah, and bring me some too :)

lol if u see me at legg ill give u some

lilmystery246
12-07-2008, 12:06 PM
and how do i keep them fresh?