PDA

View Full Version : Closing it out 12-4

tacklejunkie
12-04-2008, 04:32 PM
This will likely be my last trip to the beach this year.
Had an awesome year out there and learned an amazing amount of information regarding fishing the salt water since this time last year. Thanks everyone who helped out with tips, encouragement, spots and tackle! I had a killer time fishing the surf and had maybe one or two skunks out of many trips. I have all of your info locked away and won't forget those who gave it, public or private... friend, acquaintance, surf mentors, fellow FNN members and lurkers.

City Dad, I promise you fish on your flies next year :Wink:
I almost kicked myself when I showed up today and the conditions were PERFECT for the fly, but I left it at home :mad:

That said,

I had to get me one more taste of action on one of this year's favorite new additions to my arsenal. The LCFM110! Man I love that lure. Nothing comes close in action or effectiveness in my experience.

No good size hali's wanted to play today despite the crystal clear conditions.

Threw the heavy surfer everywhere for about an hour and nada.
Swapped out to the fresh water american shad with new big hooks.
Quick fan of the area and I was on! I thought it was a nice hali from the fight, then it died off? Up pops a spottie! (sorry for the cell pics)
First spottie on the LC
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/surf%2012-5-08/surf5.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/surf%2012-5-08/surf4.jpg

C&R'd that fish hoping something would pick up but the bite was dead. Baitfish were everywhere, out in the open and not hiding. I took that as a sign predators weren't awake yet. Decided to knock them on the head with my drop shot. Got my target specie, but wrong lure and wrong size! :ROFL:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/surf%2012-5-08/surf3.jpg

I figured I'd let that area cool off for a bit. Besides, how could I forget my salty roots? Left the jetty and on down to Big Fish for some "crack" and "poggies". Returned to the surf beachfront this time armed with a c-rig in hand loaded with a fresh whiff of GCSW. Not long after and a few side steps, I was on the school.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/surf%2012-5-08/surf2.jpg

Not very many big ones but I did miss quite a few. Lil rusty straight off the beach! They were coming out of "the trough" about 25 feet out. No need to get the shoes wet. The trick was the foam triangles! It pays to listen in class
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/surf%2012-5-08/surf1.jpg

After my perch fix I gave it a shot for about 45mins from shore in NPH around some docks in the cuts. I got nibbles several times back there. Quick hard strikes but gone as quick as they came with no landings.

Left the harbor about 1pm happy I was able to score a small sample of some the things I have spent the year learning in the ocean.

Handfull of perch, a nice spottie on the LC off the jetty and a sand dollar halibut 'bout sums it up. Lost a couple more, maybe one good barely short hali on the drop shot fluke (or so it felt).

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed my bs. Gotta love fishin' the salt, the air, the scenery and the fish! Hope to see some of you out there next year :Cool:
-TJ

sweetfish
12-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Congrats on the multi species day. Good luck to you and wish you a speedy recovery.

Ren714
12-04-2008, 05:29 PM
WTG! Good mix of species. Rack up and polish those rods for next year. You went out with a bang :Big Grin:. Awesome report!

Wingnut
12-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Get well Casey, I'll keep those surf fish in check for ya during your absent. :Wink: :Cool: :Big Grin:

lalo56
12-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Next year is just around the corner. So take a 3 week break. Get better.

CrabMan
12-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Hey Casey,
Nice job down there today. The conditions were good with a light wind and small surf. It just too bad the sun didn't want to stay out!:Angry: I didn't have a chance to fish today because I was busy collecting bait for tomorrow! Looked like a nice day to be fishin' though.

Thanks for the report and pics!:LOL:

boxl0bster
12-04-2008, 07:08 PM
good job out there tj, sorry to hear about your back. get well soon man. :Cool:

flyngby
12-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Casey,

Thanks for the report and somehow I do not think it will be your last Salty adventure of the season!!!!!1

Steve

Santa Fe Eric
12-04-2008, 09:56 PM
You are so diverse in your fishing! Your reports are informative! You consistently catch fish! I think you belong in the top 10 FNN Anglers for 2008. Now all someone has to do is start that thread.
Good Work TJ

CoffeaRobusta
12-05-2008, 05:55 AM
Right on! Tacklejunkie....I can only dream of one day being an angler like you..... :Applause: way to go....I second the nominee FNN Top Five. Maybe it should be top 12 and then you could make a calendar and appease those women on the "GF's doing what we love most" thread. lol

PUDD MASTER BAITER
12-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Finally those poor fish get a break . Casey ,those great reports, will be missed ,till you get back in action. Good luck ,and god bless.... Mike the pmb...

ghetto dad
12-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Way to go TJ....things will work out homie.,,,take care man

GD