PDA

View Full Version : Help with Waders and Float Tube

yellowtail44
06-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi guys,

I am looking to upgrade my tubing gear.

I am sick of buying waders that keep leaking. I have the Hodgeman breathable right now and I swear the third time I wore them it started to leak. Now the leak is getting worse, I pretty much get completely wet now up to thighs. I have been researching waders and see the Simms has some but they are quite expensive. Anyone have any suggestions on which breathable waders are the best, I just want one that is durable and doesnt leak as much.

Also, I am thinking of buying either the fish cat 4, fish cat 4 deluxe or the odc 420. Any info or reviews from people owning these would be helpful.

Thanks.

sonarbp
06-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Hey yellowtail44,

Hope I might be able to give you a little help in your quest to upgrade your tubin gear!!!

Hodgeman breathable waders are the way to go. I would use them if I could find them to fit me, I am 6'2" and 3 bills so finding breathables the right sixe are a bit tough. You might want to get a size a little larger than you need!!! I have been told that breathables need to fit like clown pants...meaning that hey should fit over your clothing you plan on wearing and still have alot of room.....try them on and squat down......if they tighten up they are to small. When you squat you should have plenty of room left without the waders getting to tight!!

I know that Sports Authority has them on sale for about $90...

Check your PM......I sent you a Treat to help with the cost of the waders!!!! :lol:

About the tube..... I don't own any of the ones you list but I was thinking of getting one until I saw the price :shock: I ended up going with the Togiak from Trout Unlimited. It features a stable pontoon design with easy front entry and a hydrodynamic hull for great tracking and steering.
This is an Ultra stable and comfortable premium pontoon float tube featruring an easy front entry and extra comfortable stadium seat with a high adjustable backrest and a raised seat for drier and warmer fishing and improved visibility. You can get this tube from Bass Pro for about $130. I enjoy it but it is what you like that matters.

Sorry about the rambling on......When you get ready to tube again let me know and maybe we can slay some fish together!!

sonarbp

yellowtail44
06-05-2007, 04:07 PM
thanks sonar for the info. i have the hodgman's and they are comfortable but they have a leakage problem. my friends all have the same issue with the hodgeman breathable. i getting sick of getting wet and patching. thanks for the coupon, i definately can use it. hit me up next time you tube, if im free ill go with you...

Jeff

fishergirl62
06-05-2007, 09:56 PM
I've been using my Fishcat4 for about a year and a half & I love it. I fish with a bunch of guys that all have the Fishcat4 & they talked me into buying one too.

I've heard that for guys over about 220lbs, it can feel very cramped but none of my friends considered it a problem. For me, at 5'3" and a :secret: lbs, I like the fact that it only weighs 14lbs & I can carry it & all my gear at one time.

It has lots of pockets for gear, the seat is high and comfortable, and it's easy to maneuver in the water. http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/IrvineLake021.jpg

Good luck, Jennifer.

yellowtail44
06-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks Fishergirl,

I think I am going with the fish cat 4 deluxe. I am a lightweight so I dont think i will feel squished. Now, I hope I can find a deal on this on ebay...

Jeff

LBSea
06-07-2007, 04:45 PM
YT44,
I was wondering if you had wader boots or are just using waders and fins? I have the same waders and I use Hodgeman Wader Boots one size large than my shoe size to accommodate the wader booty and have had NO problems fishing Salt & Fresh Water. Without boots the booty on ANY waders wears out rather quickly. For tubes go with the ODC420. They are fairly cheep at 139.99 on the internet, have a life time warranty and have one of the highest weight capacities for tubes in its class and size.

Tight Lines,
Doug

fishrookie
06-08-2007, 12:40 AM
what brand of fins do you guys use?

LBSea
06-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Montana Kickers. Lightweight, Single Strap to Tighten & Good Price @ $34.95. Some people swear by Hot Spot fins although they are much more money and I do not like the straps on them that is more like a swim fin that a tubing fin. Hot Spots are much heavier too although that probably does not matter when in the water. Both fins float, look for fins that float just in case they come off in the water. lastly, stay away from the fins at Turner that have shoe style laces. Who in the @#%& wants to try and re-tie your fins while in the water?

Doug

Nessie Hunter
06-08-2007, 10:01 AM
yellowtail44..

I can only guess that the fins you are using are a hard material???

I found that they wear the Stocking foot waders QUICK.. My seams started to leak after a couple of outings from rubbing on the poor fitting, hard rubber fins I had.... :evil:

The Hot Spot Fins are soft and formed better, after I got them, that problem stopped.

They are also "weightless" in the water as they float.........

I have never used Boot foot waders, so cant comment on that type.. I do know they (boot fit) are very heavy on the foot/legs after a few hrs of finning....

I am older and not in good shape at all.. I have used my Hot Spot Fins for several 16 hr days, and countless 8+ hrs days in the Bays fighting currents and wind with no leg/foot fatigue or problems with them at all...

Needless to say I love my Hot Spots Fins and recommend them to every one... They were designed BY a float tuber FOR float tubers..

I have met the Owner/Designer (a member of FNN), but am in no way affiliated.........

TUBES; I have the ODC 420 and like it. I also had a Nevada Gold and Liked it... Very diff tubes..

Best things I like about the ODC is the Price, TWO separate Main Bladders (for safety) and that I can get to and adjust air pressure while on the water with ease. The Valves are readily accessible...

Simple things to look for when making a change.......

Other then that it is a matter of Price and personal choice...

yellowtail44
06-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks all for your help.

LBSea and Nessie, yes I am using just the waders with stocking foot and flippers. That probably is what is causing the leaks. My flippers are force fins and they do seem like harder plastic. I will look into the hot spot fins.

I ended up getting the fish cat 4 deluxe on ebay for 189 total shipped. I cant wait to get it.

greeper
06-11-2007, 10:51 PM
you'll be happy with any Outcast Float tube, there isn't a company out there that can match their customer service..