PDA

View Full Version : King Harbor w/Cowpaddy sunday 11-30 -bony bloodfest

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Went to Redondo Sunday morning with Cowpaddy, he met me out there and we ventured out in the harbor (and beyond) in the tub..

Started out real good, I trolled a gulp alive minnow and hooked up within the 1st 15-20 minutes…

Mackeral…..Dayam !....BUT Trolly was out and about and I wanted to return the favor when he gave me some bait at DVL so in the box it went…..2-3 minutes later…

Another HOOKUP !

This time it’s the desired Species….

Bonehead !

With a quick slice of the throat….into the box he goes….Ahhhhh Yes !!!!! Blooood !

After another 10 minutes or so Tony’s trolled rapala gets slammed….

Yeah Baby…another poor man’s tuna hits the deck !...

Looked good at this point as far as the bonita action was going but after that we kept hooking up more macks…

After a while, we decided to stop around the kelp paddy’s and cast….we tied up to the seal barge where there was about 30 sea dogs lazily sleeping on each other…

I motored right up to them on the barge….about 2 ½’ away, I thought they would bolt but the held theyre ground….wouldn’t budge….ready to snap at any moment, I tied to their dock without flinching but all while giving them the evil eye back….I had to let them know I wasn’t messin about and I’m gonna do what I need to do….

So we began casting our lures……

Hookup !....then another Hookup ! and yet another periodically

More macks !!!! then a couple short slimesticks….

Most of the fish activity was being concentrated around the bait that was holding near the kelp pods and we kept snagging up on the kelp but fished on..

Trolly and Fat albert came along and joined in the fun…they nailed 1 bony and then slayed away on the macks…

We moved on to other zones and tried a few halibut lairs that I know but only attacked those zones for a short while but no halibut wanted to introduce themselves to our hooks !

We tried trolling again for little results and went back to the seal zone for more macks…

The day wore on and we metup with fellow Fnn’r Killerman (I think that’s the name) and his son, they seemed to having a great time and landed a bonhead or 2 and some macks, nice meeting you there buddy, real nice to see you out there having a great time with the lil bambito : ) I tip my hat to you, I’m glad you guys nailed some fish…

As the morning burned into afternoon, Trolly and Fat Albert left but not before we gave them a grip of mackerel, we fished about 4 other zones for little activity..

The bubble hole wasn’t pumping and I began to have my doubts that we would finish the day off strong …

BUT..
We went back to the troll, I gave Tony one of my gold/silver/black rapalas and I ran the gulp jig again…

I started metering some good bait pods near the top….I kept running over them….TONY GETS SLAMMED !!!!

Hookup……another bloody bonehead death…..
I said “ if you get another I’m switching lures !”…..

Then he got another tag but missed ‘em…

I said ”mom’a didn’t raise no dummy” I switched to the only other hardbait I had like that, an identical version…I knew they’d like that sucka when I handed it to Tony before…
Shortly after….

Hookup !

I fought the fast mover for another rapala death…..

They started opening up at that point but time and daylight were running REAL short and as we flatline trolled I eagerly sought out more bait pods….when we trolled near them…..

Another hookup…

We finished the day of real strong !
I ate racks of bonita fillets last night….it’s been a while, I love those suckas !!

This post is dedicated to Crappie Mike, it’s because of his wonderfull report that I decided to go and venture into my old stomping grounds again…I know that harbor well but I’ve been passing on it cause the bonheads have not frequented that area for quite some time !
Funny, I was just telling Hiro the day b4 that I need to go see whats up in king harbor soon and when I saw that they were around I just had ta get me some o that action !

Thanks Mike !

And good times cowpaddy (Tony)
Salute,
Gary

P.S.
Ya gotta love that bloodshot !!!!
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/redondo11-30-081.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/redondo11-30-082.jpg

kpn
12-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Great job on the bone Gary & Tony. I miss that action for a long time now :Big Grin:.

KPN.

crappiemike
12-01-2008, 12:45 PM
good report as always with pics!!

ya we noticed when trolling those rapallas we'er getting a lot more
macks then boneheads.. fast trolling feathers worked much better..
i know you love that harbor fishing too.. we used to fish with bill
him self before he pasted on "o/g billsbait"..

there's nothing like bonita fishing in the harbor..
sometimes you get more of a mixed bag then on those halfday
runs!!! who ever reads this thread go get a skiff at the
marine fuel docks,, lite line = zzzzzzzzzz

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm81/crappiemike/11-28-08_0908.jpg

crappiemike

candyman
12-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Great job on the bones, I love to eat them but for some reason alot of people don't like it. Should of taken a shot of the sea lions that would have been cool.

BIGRED KILLA
12-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the pics and report you guy killed em the dogs did not bother you when you were hooked up last couple of times i was there i was getting Bonita halfs only.lol

Bigred

BIGRED KILLA
12-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Great job on the bones, I love to eat them but for some reason alot of people don't like it. Should of taken a shot of the sea lions that would have been cool.

Bonita is good just bleed it and ice it right away i know a lot of people that like it and at first they thought it was bad i said did you try it they all said no now they love it.I think it is becoming more popular.

Bigred

Wingnut
12-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Yep, that's a lot of blood! Bonito Sashimi anyone? :Envious:
You are everywhere... can't keep up with ya Gary.

CAPT'N
12-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Nice job guys!

Those mini boneheads are fun .............

Capt'n

TroutOnly
12-01-2008, 05:14 PM
I LIKE THAT BONEY BLOODBATH SHOT,,,,,,,,t/o

Bucket bay
12-01-2008, 09:39 PM
You got into those bone head real good like the good old days you were always telling me about in king harbor, good times.

GeordyBass
12-01-2008, 09:42 PM
You got into those bone head real good like the good old days you were always telling me about in king harbor, good times.BOOFOO for Dwayne,,,LOL,,,

Nice job guys!Lets see if we'll make a Slay-a-thon there sunday!!!

Cow Patty
12-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Feelthepeel,
Just another day at the office for you. Thanks for the 101 on bonito fishing.Now I have another place to put my "slay on". I was wondering how you tide the score up in the bottom of the 9Th.It is then, I realize those sea lions were the ones putting on those boneheads for you.That"s not fare.

Cow Patty

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Feelthepeel,
Just another day at the office for you. Thanks for the 101 on bonito fishing.Now I have another place to put my "slay on". I was wondering how you tide the score up in the bottom of the 9Th.It is then, I realize those sea lions were the ones putting on those boneheads for you.That"s not fare.

Cow Patty
If the public saw how those seals act when I'm around they'd know that U aren't kidding...I don't care about them, it's important not to let them sense fear...although I will not encourage anyone to be as casual as I am around them, they are tough customers but They ARE my friends as are most wildlife....don't forget the pelican and seagull that I brought in the boat...ashamed my camera was dying, they would have made for a great photo op...

Trolly and fatablert also witnessed the "pelican wisperer" at work but they did not see the Seagull action....

as for those bonita, they received the "kiss of death !" from "GLFSG" just before they felt the sting of the steel slicing their throat then they felt the cold chill of death b4 I ate them....OR maybe it was the cold chill of the ice we threw them on !....ha ha ha......

Good fishing, I'm glad we stuck it out till the end...it made a big difference !

P.S.
I've spent countless hours training those seals not to eat the bonita and hook them onto my lure !!!

Tony was ahead of me 5 to 3 for a bit and I said "I'm comin back !!!" we ended up tying up with the bonita catches...wooo hoo hoo hoo ha ha ha ha...look out next time...I was fishing left handed and I'm really right handed...

talk to a few others....I consider myself "a prize fighter" when I am pinned up on the ropes taking a beating....I will battle my way out .....woo hoo..ha ha ha ha..

Lots'a fun..
Gary

klocked
12-02-2008, 12:30 PM
That has got to be the bloodiest bloodshot I've seen in a while :Cool:

Gary, it seems you put the slay on everywhere you fish!

It's obvious that experience and lots of time on the water pays off

Nice job out there you guys :LOL:

killerman
12-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Gary & Tony,

Great to meet you, "GLFSG" , Cowpaddy, Trolly , Fatalbert all in one day..........Legends all of you. My son Cameron was impressed to say the least, he says he is ready for a little friendly battle of the FNN'rs, he talks a big game for a little guy. I guess we all started out like that some 30+ yrs ago. We hope to see all of you on the water soon, fresh or salt we do it all.

Mike "Killerman" & Cameron

flyngby
12-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Gary,

Now that is a Bloody Slayage you put on them. There were some larger models crashing bait on the walls in Long Beach well with in reach of a skiff this past Monday!

Steve