PDA

View Full Version : Need new rod/reel

scubasteve
06-05-2007, 04:14 AM
Going on an overnight trip in 2 weeks out of san diego and want to get a new setup for the trip. My guess is we will be paddy hopping for yellows, dorado, and maybe some tuna? What would be a good rod reel setup for this. Looking to maybe spend 400 total. Was looking at the Avet reels the blue anodizing really catches my eye and maybe a 2 speed. Any suggestions. Im pretty much a rookie.

killerman
06-05-2007, 12:29 PM
http://www.pennreels.com/01_products/re ... /113hn.htm (http://www.pennreels.com/01_products/reels/conventional/04_senator/specialsenator/113hn.htm)
Get this reel and buy an 8' Jig Stick and you are good to go. Can do for under 400$ easy......... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Peace

n1ckxlam
06-05-2007, 02:23 PM
how rookie is "rookie"?

I think the perfect setup for you would be a rental. they usually have good gear and the experience would give you an idea on what to look for when you decide to buy the rod.

you dont want to go out with your brand new avet without knowing how to use it correctly, becasuse then it doesnt really matter how much you spend or how nice your gear is. you wont catch that much more fish with great gear than the gear you can rent (which is still good stuff btw). Seaforth has sturdy rods attached to TLD's for rentals and thats already a great setup.

In anycase, the senator would be the LAST reel i would buy and its worse than any rental you would get out of SD. that thing is so slow, even if you could cast in the right place with an iron or a jig or what not, youd be tired by the 10th cast from reeling so much. Also, think about how fast your retrieve has to be in order to entice a bite. Aint gonna happen.

Again, just do yourself a favor and rent a rod man. if you want to get your gear, then get it after you see what you might like. plus the deckhands will tell you everything you need to know about gear in case you have on-the-spot questions.

good luck

Nick

TIGHTLINES420
06-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Talk to fresh one! He has got all that you need for this type of trip and you will spend way less. 714-785-6422 his name is Mike and let him know tightlines sent you.

Good luck!

scubasteve
06-05-2007, 03:25 PM
how rookie is "rookie"?

Nick

Im not a complete rook. I just started fishing last summer and went atleast once a week on a moo moo. I currently have have a jigmaster 500 and a newell 332. I just didnt think this would be enough for down south and have been looking at the avets (specifically the mxj) since the fred hall show. I have no problems casting the newell, actually I think I am better then some that I have seen.

4g63power
06-05-2007, 08:12 PM
$400? daiwa saltist and calstar 800M or 800L..

n1ckxlam
06-05-2007, 10:33 PM
how rookie is "rookie"?

Nick

Im not a complete rook. I just started fishing last summer and went atleast once a week on a moo moo. I currently have have a jigmaster 500 and a newell 332. I just didnt think this would be enough for down south and have been looking at the avets (specifically the mxj) since the fred hall show. I have no problems casting the newell, actually I think I am better then some that I have seen.

ya man, you'll be fine with the newell. but the jigmaster might be a little slow for what youre going for, but you can always use that for bait.

if you're anyhting like me, ill just use a trip as an excuse to get new gear anyways. ill ask people if i should but its not like i care what they think kuz i know im gonna buy it anyways lol

good luck

Nick

scubasteve
06-06-2007, 02:24 AM
What do you guys think of the Avet MXJ 6/4 It is a 2 speed reel. If I ended up getting this reel would it be ok for local fishing (1/2 day and 3/4 day trips) or would it be overkill?

Funjunkie74
06-06-2007, 07:20 AM
What do you guys think of the Avet MXJ 6/4 It is a 2 speed reel. If I ended up getting this reel would it be ok for local fishing (1/2 day and 3/4 day trips) or would it be overkill?

Completely.

I have a SX and it's more than plenty. I feel sorry for the fish sometimes because of the power and stability the reel gives me. 2-speeds are for 5+ day trips where you "may" end up fighting with a 200#+ BFT!

I'm thinking of a MXJ 1-speed for 2 day trips, with a 4/0 Senator for backup.

06-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Your Newell 332 will work perfect on a 800M with 25# on Dorado, YT, and some Tuna...I use mine alot on those trips...

Although its nice to have a 30# and a 50# setup just in case you guys get into the bigger models of tuna....

This Saturday we are having a huge sale at my shop at 8 am. (Baja Fish Gear in Lomita)

You might want to look into a Baja special $144.99

Rods will be on sale too...

Steve

Funjunkie74
06-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Your Newell 332 will work perfect on a 800M with 25# on Dorado, YT, and some Tuna...I use mine alot on those trips...

Although its nice to have a 30# and a 50# setup just in case you guys get into the bigger models of tuna....

This Saturday we are having a huge sale at my shop at 8 am. (Baja Fish Gear in Lomita)

Steve

Steve,
When you say Baja Special, you mean the Penn reel??

scubasteve
06-06-2007, 11:01 AM

Steve

I will be in Havasu this weekend so I i will not be able to make the sale.

If I do go with a single speed (seeing I dont plan on going any multiday trips in the future) what gear ratio should I go with? The 4.5/1 or the 6.3/1.

Funjunkie74
06-06-2007, 11:17 AM

If I do go with a single speed (seeing I dont plan on going any multiday trips in the future) what gear ratio should I go with? The 4.5/1 or the 6.3/1.

Why not both?!?! ahahaha!
You'll want the 6.3 for jigs (yo-yo or surface) but you'll want the 4.5 for a little torque against hard hitters.

I've caught yellows on both ratios and the bottom line is, either way you'll get a work out!! I'm finding the 5.1 of the SX to be a nice "in-between" IMHO.
But I own and take both 4.5 and 6.1 reels (Penn 320GT2 and Penn 545GS respectively) on YT trips.

"Older" anglers want the reel to work harder for them.
"Younger" anglers do the work...
It's your choice....

scubasteve
06-06-2007, 11:45 AM

Why not both?!?! ahahaha!
You'll want the 6.3 for jigs (yo-yo or surface) but you'll want the 4.5 for a little torque against hard hitters.

I've caught yellows on both ratios and the bottom line is, either way you'll get a work out!! I'm finding the 5.1 of the SX to be a nice "in-between" IMHO.
But I own and take both 4.5 and 6.1 reels (Penn 320GT2 and Penn 545GS respectively) on YT trips.

"Older" anglers want the reel to work harder for them.
"Younger" anglers do the work...
It's your choice....

But if I do go with the two-speed that will be like having two reels in one, correct?

ghetto dad
06-06-2007, 11:47 AM

Steve

:spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam:

Funjunkie74
06-06-2007, 11:54 AM
But if I do go with the two-speed that will be like having two reels in one, correct?

No, because most 2-speeds are much lower in ratio.
3:1 or 2:1 for the low speed, 5:1 or 6:1 for high speed.

These reels tend to be much heavier and more pain to deal with than if you had a single speed and knew what you were doing.

Again, unless you're planning a battle with really big fish (200+) then a 2-speed is not needed....

06-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Although it is nice.....cause you can get more fish to the boat faster and be able to get another bait in the water when it counts...

fuj
06-06-2007, 12:03 PM

Heh, get the Avet already! :P We know it's what you really want, and like n1ckxlam said, we also know you don't care what we think because you're going to buy it anyway. We know that what you truly want from us is our validation that your choice is a good, if not a great one.

And it's a great choice! It's a fine reel! It'll work great on those day trips! It's also overkill for those day trips! But don't worry about it. It's what you're pining for, so go for it. Buy what makes you happy.

DavidE
06-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Heh, get the Avet already! :P We know it's what you really want, and like n1ckxlam said, we also know you don't care what we think because you're going to buy it anyway. We know that what you truly want from us is our validation that your choice is a good, if not a great one.

And it's a great choice! It's a fine reel! It'll work great on those day trips! It's also overkill for those day trips! But don't worry about it. It's what you're pining for, so go for it. Buy what makes you happy.

Oh yea ... what Fuj and Nick said !!!!!!

scubasteve
06-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Alright looks like I am going to get the Avet, but not the one I was originally planning on. I will probably end up with the SX 5.1 That is less then I planned on spending for the reel! 8) :lol:

4g63power
06-06-2007, 06:38 PM

Steve
sale on reels too?SA20?FNN discount? :wink:

06-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Come in early Saturday and see... :D

Fisho
06-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Where do you live?

I'd really suggest going to your local tackle shop (as opposed to the chains and walmart and such) and talk to them. Let them know where you're going and what kind of trip it is. Most of these guys that own and work at the small shops love to fish and have put in their time and know what's really going on. Ask them to show you their stuff and point out the pros & cons of the different set-ups.

It's also a great way to meet new fishing buddies and most of the small shops also run charters which are a heckuva lot better than the cattle boat trips! :D

Beats the heck out of supporting the big corporate entities and the customer service is usually outstanding!

Funjunkie74
06-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Where do you live?

I'd really suggest going to your local tackle shop (as opposed to the chains and walmart and such) and talk to them. Let them know where you're going and what kind of trip it is. Most of these guys that own and work at the small shops love to fish and have put in their time and know what's really going on. Ask them to show you their stuff and point out the pros & cons of the different set-ups.

It's also a great way to meet new fishing buddies and most of the small shops also run charters which are a heckuva lot better than the cattle boat trips! :D

Beats the heck out of supporting the big corporate entities and the customer service is usually outstanding!

In other words, if you're in Torrance or near by, talk to Steve (Nextfishingchamp) at Baja.

ToadsToadsOnly
06-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Hey Im actually gettin rid of a setup if your intrested a Pro Gear albacore special and a calstar graphiter 700m 20-40lb. Both are in great condition the progear i just put new drags on them reel probably been used less than 10 times. Im selling the setup for $300 really good deal. I believe the albacore special goes for $199 and the graphiter for about $280.

ToadsToadsOnly
06-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Hey Im actually gettin rid of a setup if your intrested a Pro Gear albacore special and a calstar graphiter 700m 20-40lb. Both are in great condition the progear i just put new drags on them reel probably been used less than 10 times. Im selling the setup for $300 really good deal. I believe the albacore special goes for $199 and the graphiter for about $280.

4g63power
06-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Come in early Saturday and see... :D
nice meeting you today steve and thanks for helping me out..i can't believe i have to drive down to freakin lomita again to pick up the freakin reel..jk :lol: let's fish sometime soon man..

scubasteve
06-13-2007, 09:41 PM
So I ended up with a Avet MXL 6.3/1 and a custom wrapped CalStar 800M. Little more then 400 bucks but oh well. Got the reel today will be going out on the SoCal tomorrow for a 1/2 day to learn the reel. The rod will be ready middle of next week just in time for my overnight trip. The rod is getting wrapped by cy at Fishermans Hardware in Long Beach.