PDA

View Full Version : Floatin in the bay...soakin off the rocks

LunkerLover
11-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Afternoon... quick little report from Newport Bay (launched by the concrete stairs) and eventually one of the jetties (close to PCH and Superior)...

Tube in the water at about 6:30 ... d/s 5" Berekley Pumpkinseed curl-tailed worms and 6" Roboworm Morning Dawn soaked in shrimp juice ... began over by the concrete steps and drifted to the mouth ... got 3 bay bass, nothing over 3 pounds ...

...on the way back in, on the opposite of the bay, got hooked on something WAY too big (bat ray?) that nearly spooled me and pulled me about 1/3 of the way across the bay. Cut it after about 4 minutes... my 6lb mono and 6'6" ugly stick wasn't gunna do it...

...headed in ... Newport Beach ...decided to fish off the end of the longest jetty ... ya know .. .the one with the 2 old tires shoved in the rocks??? ... switched to a 7'8" Shakespeare spinning combo with a 2oz pyramid weight and a size 2 hook with GOOD OL' CLAMMY CLAM MUSSELS!!! tide was low enough to scrape some big, good-lookin mussels off the rocks ... within about an hour of fishin .. hooked into these 2 Corbina??? (good thing I had my phone this time.... good day ... peace.

calico killer kevin
11-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Wrong you are sir. Those are appropriately named yellow fin croakers. Nice job on the fish anyways.

supasportkid
11-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Good job on the fish, thanks for the report

wetbait
11-30-2008, 11:00 PM
he's half right....itsa croaka....:EyePop::Twisted:

JapanRon
12-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Hi LunkerLover,

Nice job on the tube !! What make and model ?

JapanRon

LunkerLover
12-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi LunkerLover,

Nice job on the tube !! What make and model ?

JapanRon

Arigato! Actually, believe it or not, a Caddis High Sierra. Red...Round...Entry Level Tube... works just as well as my buddies $150 Navigator.:Twisted: