PDA

View Full Version : Two more day = two more sturgeon!

FishWisher
11-26-2008, 12:58 PM
I just can't believe my sturgeon fishing this year! It must be that the fishing gods are smiling.

I hooked the boat to the motorhome Monday morning and again headed to Brannan Island (near Rio Vista on the Sacramento River) for a couple of days of sturgeon fishing near the ship channel off Decker Island.

I still used the same ol' stinky lamprey that's been in wifey's freezer for seven months. It seems to smell worse every trip. In fact, I used the same leader with chunks of it still attached that I used the last trip.

Within half an hour after tossing the eel into an incoming current, by gosh a sturgeon grabbed my eel and took off on a rare suicide run! I was in the process of putting up a bit of canvas at the time, and was fortunate that I heard the reel screaming. Luckily, he kept running 'til I could grab the rod and set the hook - and I knew at once that it was probably a keeper. He immediately breached and cleared the water entirely. When I finally got him to the boat, he jumped again and then chose to go deep below the boat and defy my efforts to bring him up. He eventually tired and came to the boat belly up. I measured him with my little plastic tape, and then netted him and welcomed him aboard with a couple of good whacks. He measured 49 inches and weighed 22 Lbs. He was tough! Again, I called a friend in Stockton who drove right over to meet me at the ramps to take another sturgeon home. Happy Thanksgiving, Willie!

Tuesday morning I was fishing the same spot. It was an outgoing current but soon turned. Not long after the incoming began and I was sitting with rod in hand awaiting another sturgy visit, something tick-tick-ticked off a few inches of line. I set the hook hard and deep and once again had a good sturgeon on! This one, too, fought hard and preferred to stay deep. But after about ten minutes was along side the boat in submission. I measured him at 46 inches, a keeper, and decided to let him continue his trip upriver. I had only one tag left and may wish to use it another time. That was my seventh sturgeon in two trips - what a sturgeon year I've had!

I continued fishing 'til nearly nightfall, after a big outgoing current began, but had no other bites 'til just before I called it a day. Something took my eel, and I set the hook, but it was off in just seconds. Ten minutes later I headed to the boat berths and a nice evening in the warmth and comfort of the motor home.

Maybe there will be some warm days and good tides in December to entice me back to Brannan for another try to use up my last tag. But it'll have to be an unusually warm December day or two. I'm just too danged old for cold weather fishing!

Dale

troutdog
11-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Congrats on the good sturgeon bite, cool pics on the link btw. Thanks for sharing.

TD

Liteliner
11-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Nice job man. Im guessing the population has increased a bit.

DEADROOTS
11-29-2008, 12:23 AM
?Did you get any caviar?

ghetto dad
11-29-2008, 06:08 AM
Nice man....I used to live up North, and you sturgeon guys are hardcore...some guys I talked to would actually fish for 2 days or more, to get that ONE fish...I wasnt into that, so I would happily cast my ratltrap, and catch stripers.....

GD

FishWisher
11-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Nope, no caviar, but I've had a bunch of it from fish past and have no desire for the nasty stuff.

And yes, sturgeon fishing requires a lot of time - usually. I've been out for two days many times and not had a nibble. But the kick-***** fights these fish put up makes all the time invested worthwhile.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Dale

HuskerRod
01-10-2009, 10:30 PM
You keep up the good work, Fishwisher. I drop by your homepage from time to time. You seem to really be enjoying your retirement and are quite the accomplished angler if I might add. Your new boat looks like a million bucks as well. I think I'll have to go out and get a bucket of KFC myself now.

Huskerrod

BingJr
01-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Your website is fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Great pics, love the projects.

tpfishnfool
01-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Good Eating Fish !! Had my first sturgon a year ago up in Oregon and it was sweet !!
Wish we had more places down in so cal that had them.