PDA

View Full Version : Happy thanksgiving great turkey recipe

JL
11-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all who have contributed so much to this website about Fishing. I noticed a BBQ Turkey recipe and had to add my Recipe. Especially because we hear so much about the white being dry my wife ( my fishing partner) and I suggest the following cooking recipe, which gets rave reviews every year ----for the last 15 years.

Stuff the turkey. Not mandatory but does add additional flavor to both the Turkey and the stuffing.

Place the Turkey in a Large cooking bag breast down ( upside down) salt and pepper, place 1 lb of butter or margerine cut in pads in the bag around the turkey. Seal the bag. Place the bagged Turkey in a large Turkey roasting pan with cover. Must be a deep pan since the juices accumulate in the bottom of the bag. If you don't have a cover, use Foil but make sure you pan is at least 3 - 4 inch deep.

Place in oven at very low heat ---275 degrees at 23 minutes per pound. ( 20lb Turkey 460 minutes or 7.67 hours) This year i have a 25 lb bird and will start mine at about 2 AM to be ready at 12 noon. You will be amazed at how the juices form in the bottom of the bag and the white meat sits in the juices. The turkey will NOT come out as a beautiful table display. It will fall right off the bones in the bag when you open it to serve. Take out the stuffing. I take the turkey out about 20 minutes before serving. Turn off the oven but close the door to preserve the heat. Remove the bones and slice the turkey back into the juices and place back in the oven and place it on platters 5 minutes before we start the meal. Enjoy.