PDA

View Full Version : Catalina Crawl 11/23 triple limit w/pics

tunagod1
11-26-2008, 10:05 AM
My buddy Mangus (aka Tony) and I decided to go get some lobster for Thanksgiving but unfortunately my son Cameron (in college) wasn't smart enough to add his engish class during the week so he has a sat english class until 12:30. Anyway we finally got down to the ramp at 3:00pm. When we cleared the harbor entrance the fog was very thick, only 200 ft of visibility. This was that last thing I wanted to see was fog and thick fog at that. We made our way over to Nachos for some bait then headed over to the Island. After a couple of miles the fog lifted and it was clear sailing the rest of the way. The ocean conditions were excellent and we were able to cuise at 28 mph the rest of the way to Cat. Is..

We arrived at the Catalina at around 4:45 and decided to start setting the hoop nets. We worked our sets in 80ft of water, no current to speak of made setting the nets a breeze. We made 3 pulls for 3 limits and were done by 10:00pm. Actually, we counted the bugs after the third set and found we were already at our limit, so we went back to pick up the nets and threw back 5-6 legals. There were a lot of shorts in the mix 40+ but that ok, at least they're around and crawling. Since we needed more bait for next time we spent the night so that we could fish in the morning. The night was perfect very light breeze, clear skies (only over the Island).

In the morning, we headed down toward the West end, we ended up trolling rapalas since all the bait rolled overnight. Caught 4 nice bonita. at 9:30 we packed it in and headed for the barn. We had the boat on the trailer by 11:00.

Anyway it was a sucessful trip, Boat ran great, beautiful weather, no sacricies to the fish gods.

Tight Lines
Tuna Out

chris
11-26-2008, 10:13 AM
nice catch.

Lightline
11-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Yummy sashimi lobster tail is dam good...sweet to the taste...

OnDaHunt4Fish
11-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Real nice...