PDA

View Full Version : Mussle question.

City Dad
11-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Does anyone know of a place in the SF valley which has fresh mussles?

I know some baitshops which carry frozen, but I've had much better success with fresh.

Appreciate any help.

cappo
11-25-2008, 10:44 AM
you can find them at any beach that has jetties. Just pull them right off the rocks.

MAVERICK27
11-25-2008, 10:44 AM
I agree...when we fish the pier, fresh is always better. I have a killer method for keeping that slime on the hook too...PM me for details. I go to a place called Chark Bait in Huntington Beach. I believe they actually ship too. Try www.charkbait.com good luck

City Dad
11-25-2008, 11:05 AM
you can find them at any beach that has jetties. Just pull them right off the rocks.

That's my preferred method... but I'm taking my nephew out bright and early and probably won't have time to stop near any rocks (and it'll be high -tide too)
Just wondering if there's any seafood/grocerie stores that have shelfish.

bitedez
11-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Try a 99 Ranch supermarket in your area or any asian supermarket. They usually have them.

Cangler
11-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Use elasticated cotton to tie them on the hook ...

tacklejunkie
11-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Never seen the big fresh ones in the store like I have in the wild up near you some.

Maybe you're on to something there..
Those were some big perfect perchin' mussels. Would be cool if I could get them down here, but the local jetties only have those tiny ones that I can't get much use from.

That Dang Guy
11-25-2008, 11:21 AM
It's been a long time since I've used mussels, but it's important to be able to shell the mussel whole. The better you do this, the better it stays on the hook. Choose mussels that you can use whole on your hook. Small 1-1.5" mussels works the best. I recommend small paring knives that are 3" long. They have the required flexibility to accomplish this. For some reason, I've noticed if you leave the shell hanging on the mussel, smaller fish and smelt will be less likely to nip at it, but it does not get in the way of larger fish.

To open them, insert the paring knife tip into the small opening on the flat side of the mussel. Don't stab it in there, but rather just barely insert the tip and press it against the shell wall. The next motion is a combination of motions. The first motion is basically sweeping the knife from that hole towards the front of the mussel (rounded edge, not the pointy end =p). The second motion pushes the knife tip further into the mussel while pressed agaisnt the shell. The entry point is generally the thickest part the mussel and will be damage if you push it in right away. As you sweep forward, the knife tip goes in further.

To combine these two motions, is hard to explain. Imagine giving a guy the thumbs up. Hold that gesture. Now imagine holding the knife with that thumbs up grip. The handle is in your hand and your thumb is pressed agaisnt the back of the knife. Insert the tip as described above, but at 45 degree angle to the shell. Now rotate your wrist, like you're throttling up a bike, while sliding the knife down the shell.

This should cut the muscle on one side that holds it shut. Repeat on the otherside. The mussel should barely be holding on near the pointy end. You can press the holding point between your thumbs and it should pop right out. You now basically have a complete, uncut mussel....without the shell.

Hook it in two points. Through the white hard mussel and through the heart. You won't be able to see the heart, but with practice you'll be able to hook the heart from the outside.

Whoa...i didn't think I could write so much about opening mussels. :ROFL:

That Dang Guy
11-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Never seen the big fresh ones in the store like I have in the wild up near you some.

Maybe you're on to something there..
Those were some big perfect perchin' mussels. Would be cool if I could get them down here, but the local jetties only have those tiny ones that I can't get much use from.

IMO baby mussels are the best bait for spotfin croaker. I've caught some of my largest ones on small .5-1" mussels. They had a white fleshy color and were more rounded in shape.

Ricky-Ray
11-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Try the asian markets. They usually carry one type or another.

CraigH
11-25-2008, 02:10 PM
I haven't been in one for a few years, but the Albertson's markets that have a fresh seafood counter used to sell mussels.