PDA

View Full Version : A Strippers Nasty Secret (late Malibu Surf report)

City Dad
11-24-2008, 11:30 AM
“If something seems too good to be true, it is.” I don’t know who said those words, but I’ll bet they fish.

This Saturday I happened to notice that all of the indicators I like to ponder seemed to line up for good fly fishing in the surf on Sunday morning; 6:30 high tide, small swells, slight off-shore breeze, a sliver of a moon the night before.

Slipped down to my regular spot early to find conditions just as I’d fantasized.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG3236.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG3237.jpg

This is the kind of water I dream of when I dream of fly fishing the beach – except that in my dreams the water tends to be teaming with heavy perch.

I have no way of knowing if the water was or was not teeming with heavy fish Sunday, what I do know is that whatever fish life was present was not interested in the marabou and tinsel creations I was tossing. Though they were 7/32 oz and I was fishing a sinking line, I couldn’t detect the bottom very often and I assume my pretty flies were probably streaking over the heads of any fish present.

In other threads, I’ve compared surf perch to pumpkinseed sunfish, but actually, I think they are much more similar to smallmouth. Both species thrive in big, moving water and they position themselves accordingly. Additionally, it has been my experience that in order to catch many bass or barred perch you’ve got to be in pretty close contact with the bottom most of the time.

When I was a kid we used to catch fish hand-over-fist on the Snake and the Columbia by dragging a twister-tailed jig just fast enough over bars to bump the rocks. We lost a lot of jigs that way, but it worked. So, after a fishless first pass at my “go to” hole on the beach, I did a little math.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG3234.jpg
Shameless but potent.

This little “fly” sinks to the bottom like none of the traditional dressings I have. The key is to cast into enough water the allow sink time and then to strip like a maniac. I mean strip fast… as fast as you possible can… and just when you think you’re stripping way to fast, try to strip faster. The little tail has got to be flipping and if the line and fly have had time to settle to the bottom, it should streak just across the sand and into the mouth of a reflex driven perch.

I miss a lot, and I mean a lot of takes when I fish this way. Just haven’t developed a good enough sense of feel yet.

Anyhow, had a steady pick of guys this size for the rest of the morning.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG3230.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG3232.jpg

As I said, a quickly moving grub seemed to be the key. I’ve realized that fly fishing the surf for perch is an ideal sport for the hyper-active. Lots of moving with the swells, lots of casting and lots of frantic stripping (did I mention that you wanna strip fast?)

Don’t know if there were larger models out there… yet. But I will definitely be back to check on that situation until the winter blows in.

Fisherman57
11-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Man that water looks fishy Tim!
Thanks for the invite!........ :ROFL: J/K!

So, am I seeing that right?.... a MORF grub on the fly?
COOL!

City Dad
11-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Man that water looks fishy Tim!
Thanks for the invite!........ :ROFL: J/K!

So, am I seeing that right?.... a MORF grub on the fly?
COOL!

The water was fishy... I just lacked the skill to take full advantage of it.

I can't let anyone see me try to fly cast - notice the wind knot in the pic - it's hideous! (And I was on the fence about actually going until about 5:33 am.)

That is a perfectly tied immitaion of a MORF, Dana - a time-honored pattern. What you do is you take a motor oil, red-flake rubber grub and you stick it on a weighted fly hook that's been tied with a barb fashioned from 20lb mono. Now that's craftsmanship!

tacklejunkie
11-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Nice going CD. I've been meaning to make a trip to the boo for some perchies here pretty soon while gas is on the low side.

I learned what you mean about quick stripping my first time out there. You aren't kidding! :Shocked: Fly fishing the surf is not for the faint of heart..

Wingnut
11-24-2008, 12:11 PM
I've seen you cast on the fly... :Shocked: :Envious:
Ha ha... I've figured that out too, short, fast strip for the Perchies. Long, steady strip for the Flatties. :Wink: Nice job on the catch Tim, I think I'm due for a fly surf assault soon. :Cool:

Fisherman57
11-24-2008, 01:47 PM
The water was fishy... I just lacked the skill to take full advantage of it.

I can't let anyone see me try to fly cast - notice the wind knot in the pic - it's hideous! (And I was on the fence about actually going until about 5:33 am.)

That is a perfectly tied immitaion of a MORF, Dana - a time-honored pattern. What you do is you take a motor oil, red-flake rubber grub and you stick it on a weighted fly hook that's been tied with a barb fashioned from 20lb mono. Now that's craftsmanship!

a MORF grub with a nice bright orange sand crab roe hook..... what will those Tilapia Ninja's think of next!

sansou
11-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Though you will surely burn in flyfishermen purists' hell for tying a MORF onto your fly outfit......I for one still love the report! :LOL:

greenbean
12-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Excellent report. So do you get the supplies to tie those at Bob Mariots or what? Seriously though, thanks for all the good info. I've never really had great luck in the surf on the fly. By the way I have seen flies similar to that on an other website that was dedicated just to fly fishing in southern California. I just can't remember the site name.

NICKYMOUSE8
12-07-2008, 02:31 PM
LOL hOW many morf grubs? did you waste on one false cast or should I say wasted :Secret:I'll just strip quickly outta here!!

ARTIMUS
12-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Nice detail on your report I may try this techniqe sometime.I do have an extra fly combo I could subject to the saltwater setup. It would be nice to haul in a halibut on one:Big Grin:

City Dad
12-16-2008, 02:10 PM
LOL hOW many morf grubs? did you waste on one false cast or should I say wasted :Secret:I'll just strip quickly outta here!!

none. I use 20lb mono to make two little barbs on the shank. no slippage

City Dad
12-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Nice detail on your report I may try this techniqe sometime.I do have an extra fly combo I could subject to the saltwater setup. It would be nice to haul in a halibut on one:Big Grin:

I don't know about halibut... but Wingnut does.

one_leg
12-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Nice work out there CD.

I think I will try that too. Is it ok to cut off half of the grubs tail and split it:???:

I heard that they are real effective that way.

This post makes me wanna try float tube flyfishing in the surf zone.

flyngby
12-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Nice work out there CD.

Must have been cold out there!!!!!

Ohhhhh. Forgot you were getting a work out with that rapid casting motion. And I see it was from a month ago now.

Anyhow great work!

Steve

thepuma
12-16-2008, 08:18 PM

I have actually caught some halibuts in Ventura on a small Kalin grub the same color as the one pictured, but I was on a spin cast w/ carolina 1/2oz. Never even thought to try a flyrod. Man that would be a blast. I bet those perch feel great with flyrod. Great post. I need to give this a try as well. Thanks for the information and ideas. Question, with the on-shore breeze how is it casting into the surf?
Again, great post
Scott