PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for help on Sierra road conditions

billy b
11-24-2008, 08:50 AM
I was hoping to go down to the game (Friday) by way of going over the mtns on 395 thru June, Mammoth, Lee Vining, etc.

What do y'all think the roads will be like?

Isn't there a way around ... takes longer ... and comes into Bishop at the north end after crossing the Owens?

Thanks for any help offered ...

billy b

trout worm
11-24-2008, 10:45 AM
http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

check out the caltrans site.....

Badfish2
11-24-2008, 10:57 PM
yeah, check with cal trans.. but last trip up about a week ago the lee vinning/Yosemite pass was closed and so was the sonora pass. I'm sure with the coming storms, all roads leading over will be closed until they plow

billy b
11-25-2008, 10:27 AM
for the help, gents. I wasn't very clear, I guess. I'm going to LA Friday to see the game Saturday. BTW, isn't there a way around that takes longer? I thought it might head over towards Walker Lake and come out on the north end of Bishop.

trout worm
11-25-2008, 11:08 AM
this time of year, with a storm coming in. it's iffy on any pass route between east and west sides.

that's hwy 120 thru tioga, hwy 108, sonora, and hwy 4 (further north). other than that, you have to head down to 178 and come out by lake isabella.

hwy 120 cuts thru yosemite and comes out at lee vining. but as badfish said that's closed....

Flying
11-26-2008, 01:19 AM
He is coming DOWN from NEVADA on 395 going south.

I've only been up as far as Bridgeport and I don't see how any of 395 can be a problem unless you are in the middle of winter in a storm. Is there even any snow up there now? Mammoth Mountain only has a 12"/48" base which means theres pretty much no snow in town.It takes awhile for snow to build up on 395 and it doesn't look like they are going to get very much this week.Friday even looks clear.

That way around by Walker(is that the large lake by the road?) looks very long and I have no idea what its like. Do you have a good way to get across to it or do up go up to Carson?

Badfish2
11-26-2008, 02:27 AM
It's snowing right now on all passes above 6500 feet in the sierras.. so that means pretty much from Reno south it's snowing all the way until you get to Bishop.

smokinflies
11-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Your best bet Billy B is to drive I80 west to I5 south into L.A. It's faster and safer then driving down 395 this time of year. I drove from Sacramento to Mammoth once in the month of May and it was hell driving down 395. There were many sections of 395 closed due to slides making my time on the road longer. I'm sure 395 would be worst this time of year(due to snow) compared to May.

billy b
11-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Yes I was considering driving south on 395 ... or looking for an alternative. I had chatted with a fellow in LPine cafe about a road that heads out Neast of Bishop and takes a little longer. He was considering using it as he had before. The way he described it was to head straight north (probably across some good fishing and the bridge on the Owens) ... saying it was right where the road curves left/west towards the Sierras (probably near that small rodeo grounds). My guess was that it would probably take me by Walker Lake. It could be good to know that way if I need it. I'm going to take a look at going the Sacto direction. Thanks for the suggestions and help from you all.

Sparky70
11-26-2008, 05:07 PM
If you have a 4WD and chains you will make it.............

gwjones00
11-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Yes I was considering driving south on 395 ... or looking for an alternative. I had chatted with a fellow in LPine cafe about a road that heads out Neast of Bishop and takes a little longer. He was considering using it as he had before. The way he described it was to head straight north (probably across some good fishing and the bridge on the Owens) ... saying it was right where the road curves left/west towards the Sierras (probably near that small rodeo grounds). My guess was that it would probably take me by Walker Lake. It could be good to know that way if I need it. I'm going to take a look at going the Sacto direction. Thanks for the suggestions and help from you all.

He is talking about US Hwy 6 north from Bishop. To get there, you are talking i-80 over the Sierra to Fallon, NV, south on US 95 past Hawthorne . US-6 heads over Montgomery Pass about midway between Hawthorne and Tonopah. It's a long drive. - Count on Fallon to Bishop being about 6 hours.

There is another alternative where you talek US 95A south from Fernley to Yerington and then over to 395 from there. You end up coming in about 20 miles or so north of Bridgeport on 395.

395 from Reno south is almost always faster. Except when it snows and you need chains.

billy b
11-27-2008, 06:14 PM
That sounds like the alternate route I had heard something about when I came up here about a year ago. Six hours from Fallon? I can make it to Bishop from here (about 40 minutes south of Reno) in about 2.25 -2.5 hours. Sounds like the alternate would be 6-7?

I think I would only take that if desperate to get through.

AND ... didn't you say that I had to go over some passes? How hight? I might not be missing anything.

thanks again,

bill

Badfish2
11-28-2008, 12:32 AM
you should be good dude all the way down 395, they plow the roads quick, it's a major hwy.. they don't let it stay blocked for long, and there are really only a few areas they let snow build before they plow, conway summit area being one of them.

gwjones00
11-29-2008, 05:12 PM
That sounds like the alternate route I had heard something about when I came up here about a year ago. Six hours from Fallon? I can make it to Bishop from here (about 40 minutes south of Reno) in about 2.25 -2.5 hours. Sounds like the alternate would be 6-7?

I think I would only take that if desperate to get through.

AND ... didn't you say that I had to go over some passes? How hight? I might not be missing anything.

thanks again,

bill

Oops - that was to Tonopah and on to Death Valley in January 2007. To Bishop would probably be closer to 4.