PDA

View Full Version : Ventura Pier Tips?

bendo_dreams
11-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi All,
I'm heading over to the Ventura Pier with a friend to shoot the breeze and fish a little. Anyone have any tips on the kind of rigs and bait to use? Thanks.
BD

Simplyeman
11-21-2008, 05:05 PM
ive never planned to catch any fish when i went ventura pier, but then again most of my outings were at night when we would go and drink throw the lines out and chill.....try some gulp products in the shallows, or use some fresh mussel....or slap on some sardines or chovies and wait. GL.

Simplyeman
11-21-2008, 06:32 PM
"Ventura Pier — The pier is seeing the usual perch and croaker action inshore to mid-pier while some larger sharks and rays are common at the end. The mackerel come and go."

migfrias
11-21-2008, 07:12 PM
instead of fishing the pier, fish inbetween the beach jetties to the south. carolina riged grubs in motor oil.

miguel

bendo_dreams
11-21-2008, 07:32 PM
thanks for the tips everyone. when you say grubs, do you mean like the fat ikas? i usually fish freshwater. i picked up some camo sandworms. i guess i'll try to dropshot them?

Surfnteacher
11-25-2008, 01:54 PM
carolina rig the gulp sandworms (you can dropshot them, but you'll get more bites on the c-rig)

Not the fat ikas...smaller 1.5" to 2" inch grubs like the kalin's or big hammers

http://www.swimbait.com/grub.htm

You'll catch more from the sand than the pier.

KiloG

bendo_dreams
11-26-2008, 03:27 PM
This is a late report with no pix (sorry)! Arrived at the pier (last Saturday) at 9:30am. Not too many fishing on the pier or on the nearby surf and jetties. Started out with a drophot camo sandworm and got immediate bites, but could not set the hook correctly. Something chased the worm all the way to the surface, but wasn't sure what it was. After that, nothing; so I switched to a Gulp natural shrimp, still on the dropshot. Got hit hard, set the hook, and reeled in a 12 inch jack smelt.

Continued to nail a few more, the same size. All were released. Tried the sabiki rig to nail some live bait. Caught a small makerel which my buddy flylined. Within a few, he gets a major bendo (halibut?) but the fish shakes the hook. My buddy was so depressed. Overall, had some good fun and conversation.

BD

Simplyeman
11-26-2008, 05:46 PM
nice work dude!!! glad to hear it all fell into place