PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth. Where to go?

IK13
06-04-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm quite familiar with the Bishop area, but I've never made it up to Mammoth before and I'm going to be there for a week or so.
My son is 5yo and I don't quite trust him on a boat yet, nor can I take him on a long hike.
So I guess I'm stuck with the zoo, but still - where are my best chances for a good time?

...and if I happen to steal a day for myself only - then what would you recommend?

brn2fis
06-04-2007, 11:44 AM
There are alot of drive to lakes in Mammoth that you can fish from shore. To name a few Lake Mary, Lake George and Twin Lakes. Have fun and I hope your son get's a big one.

ryanerb
06-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Depending on if you hate driving or not, bishop isn't that far, so if you do have some favorite spots, it wouldn't be too bad to drive down there to fish. But it might be refreshing to try some new lakes. Head up the the mammoth lakes basin, I like George the best.

IK13
06-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Any good accessible streams?

Headhunter
06-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Actually, one of my favorite places to fish in Mammoth is Mammoth Creek. It runs down down the mountain, right through Mammoth Village. They keep it stocked, and it's a wonderful little place to fish. It's very accessible from several points, and you can actually spend a few hours hiking and fishing along several stretches of the creek.

There's this one spot by the corner of Minaret and Meridian where you can fish in the tunnel that goes under Minaret road. We have done VERY well there, and you can walk along the creek there for maybe a mile or so....it's a big meadow, and you would never know you are in a town, except for the Condos that you can see to the North a few yards. We could EASILY spend a couple of days exploring Mammoth Creek up and down. And if you get bored, you can run across Meridian road to the golf course and shoot a few holes or try and Ninja the Ponds there.....tons of nice Fat Bass in those ponds......

sierraslam
06-05-2007, 07:26 AM
The road to Reds Meadow / Sotcher / is open. That is a area that is worth checking out. good fishin!

High Sierra Junkie
06-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Any good accessible streams?
You can drive 15 minutes south to Convict. The stream there is a good place with kids. Also, Convict Lake itself is known for some big fish. If you fish the lake, fish on the s/w side, at the end of the road. If you look at Convict Lake from the air, the whole outlet side of the lake is shallow until about 50-60 feet from shore. It tapers off as you get around to the sides. If you go on that side on the s/w, you can pretty much cast off that shelf into deep water from shore.

High Sierra Junkie
06-05-2007, 12:15 PM
The road to Reds Meadow / Sotcher / is open. That is a area that is worth checking out. good fishin!
I'd have to second that. You can catch the Shuttle down into the Devils Postpile area and fish the San Joaquin River down there. It is awesome down there. And if you get tired of the river, you can head to Sotcher Lake or Starkweather Lake. All are fine places for 5 year olds! Best of all, the shutte takes you between all the fishing places!

High Sierra Junkie
06-05-2007, 12:50 PM
I like George the best.
I'd have to agree here. I think George is the most scenic of the "drive to" lakes and it is a nice place for kids. Not the biggest fish of the Mammoth Lakes, but a quiet, beautiful spot. If you want the biggest fish, hit the Twins...usually Lower Twin.

IK13
06-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate it!

mammoth xfactor
06-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Try Lake Mamie up at the lakes basin, Shallow lake with lots of fish. Right now the new Gulp in the orange color has been deadly. Then for a reward at the end of your trip take him to McGee creek RV park. It is 10 minutes south of Mammoth. They have three ponds, pay of course but your boy could seriously catch a 6lb Alpers there. The ponds are LOADED with giant Alpers. Always fun for the kids. I take my 4 yr old daughter down there a couple of times a week.

IK13
06-15-2007, 12:38 PM
First off - thanks for all the suggestions.
The report:
As I thought, I didn't have much time to fish, but managed to go twice to George. The first time got 2 in 30 minutes, one of them about 1.5 pounds on gold/red panther martin, the other my 5yo got on a cricket. Thursday went there again (considered McGee and even called them, but then decided to go back to George) for a couple of hours in the morning and managed 4 standard size planters on the same panther martin (didn't have a bite on anything else). A couple of other guys were also catching fish. I think they were using pb/gulp. There were other people usning bubble fly and also saw 3-4 fly fisherman tubing, didn't see them pulling anyting though.

The night on the 12th my wife and son woke me up - "did you feel the earthquake"? I was just about to tell them to get lost and then bam! :o - another one. It was short, but the jolt was quite powerful.
Then I got on the internet - turned out it felt so much, because it was only 14 miles south of Mammoth :) the first had a magnitude of 3.6, the second 4.6.
Looking at [url=http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/quakes0.html:6ec99]this site[/url:6ec99] it seems it is still shaking with minor quakes...