PDA

View Full Version : 6/3 Victory! (Literally)

Funjunkie74
06-04-2007, 09:46 AM
As posted in the Rendezvous section, but don't recall seeing anyone... :cry:

Anyway, here comes the report!

So as usual my boy Kev calls "Joe! 3/4 day, Pierpoint, LET'S GO!"
So as usual I reply "YEA!! LET'S GO KILL EM'!!"
(I think most fishing trips start the same way for most of us...)

Sunday Morning:
3:30am Wake up.
3:45am --morning rituals-- :P
4:30am Out the door.
5:15am Arrive at Pierpoint.
5:30am No sign of Kev. Give him a wake (yo *****) up call.
5:35am Kev shows up.
6:00am On boat.
6:20am Leave dock.
7:00am Get bait. I didn't take pictures of the bait barge, but it's all pretty and stuff...wow.
7:30am Head up the coast towards Whites Point.
--sleep--
8:30am Arrive at Whites staring at the Donald Trump golf course.
--nothing--
--very quiet here--
--move around a little--
--still nothing--
9:00am Decide to head out to the flats.
--sleep again--
10:30am Wake up and greeted by the most spectacular site!!
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20070603/HPIM0325.jpg
As many other people will report, there had to be at least a good 80 to 100 boats out there!! I have never seen anything this dense in all my years of fishing!!
And as we "pull in" to the party, we see slime stick after slime stick getting pulled over the rails. And like trained soldiers, we all stood at attention at the rails with our jigs and rods in the ready position.
--BARRACUDA!!--
--One after another--
--After another--
(Sorry, I had my hands full and could not take pictures...)

12:30pm Things cooled down a bit and the party broke up and started heading to other locations. Not too much action anywhere, a few barries here and there. Just a lot of casting...
12:45pm As if to break up the silence, we hear "OOOOHHHH MMMYYY DIOS!!" I look over and this guys rod was bent over!! First thought, he's caught on the bottom...but he's winding...hmmm...odd...maybe it is something. Turn after turn, it looked as though it was a really nice size halibut. You heard the voices of "aw, man! There goes jackpot!" It took him 15 minutes of careful precise cranking. He was breakin' a sweat!
And what comes up is...
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20070603/HPIM0328.jpg
Shear laughter!!! ahahahahaha!! A new species of ROCK FISH!!

1:00pm Capt. decides that its time to move on. So we hit up a few more locations for slimy sticks and I think we pretty much had enough exercise. 2:30pm So we move to sculpin land.
Kev preps the bait...
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20070603/HPIM0329.jpg
While our future jackpot winner collects himself...
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20070603/HPIM0330.jpg

2:45pm We're in sculpin land and fish till the end here. I caught about 20 sculpins, but release all but 2. They were coming up small and right on the line. I figure that 10" exact is not worth it...

3:30pm We start heading in. Jeff (the deckhand) started filleting solo while the other deckhand washed the boat. Big mistake!! There were WAY to many fish on board for any deckhand to do alone! I didn't get my fish filleted till about 6:00pm!! Poor Jeff!!

So in the meantime, here are the pics of the slime sticks before I gave them to a father/son combo that (amazingly) did not catch one.
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20070603/HPIM0333.jpg
6lb and 7lb, respectively. They pulled like much more, but as we know, the scale does not lie...:cry:
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20070603/HPIM0335.jpg

The sculls...
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20070603/HPIM0336.jpg

My boy Kev got his slimy and his buddy Steve got JP on a 9lb 10oz slimy.
The official JP measure, the teeter totter scale, tipped barely in Steve's favor. I wanted to know what that barely was in ounces...second runner up was 9lb 5oz!! HOLY S**T! The difference was only by 5oz.!! You realize we have sinkers that are 5oz.!! I think Steve's barrie was lucky enough to eat a few more anchovies (probably the father/son combos') before hitting Steve's iron!! Cest La Vie!!

ghetto dad
06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
NICE REPORT MAN!!! GLAD YOU HAD A GOOD TIME FJ!! PEACE :D

jplee3
06-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Good job on slaying he barris! Mmm, barricuda....sashimi? :D bwahahahahaha. Nice sculpins too!

Funjunkie74
06-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Good job on slaying he barris! Mmm, barricuda....sashimi? :D bwahahahahaha. Nice sculpins too!

No barrie sashimi...I gave these away.
But after I buy my new smoker/bbq grill, them sticks are gonna get smoked! :twisted:

JapanRon
06-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi funjunkie74,

Great job on the catching. Excellent report and pics ... thank you very much!!

What color jig was hot?

JapanRon

Funjunkie74
06-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi funjunkie74,

Great job on the catching. Excellent report and pics ... thank you very much!!

What color jig was hot?

JapanRon

The majority was mixed, blue/white, scrambled egg, purple...I was using a new Tady color I've never seen before, Copper/Orange/Bronze like metallic.
When things slowed down and the pickings got slim, this snazzy color got em!

victor101
06-04-2007, 02:26 PM
great report! great pics! felt like i was there fishing next to you. thanks! :thumb:

sashimi
06-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Way to go Joe. Were you using the SX?

Funjunkie74
06-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Way to go Joe. Were you using the SX?

THE WHOLE TIME!!! I LOVE THAT THING!!!
Although 5:1 isn't blistering fast, it's fast enough to get most fish excited!!

I had so much fun dialing in the drag and then kick it into full lock down!!
The barries had no chance!

And it casts forever!!
I'm already thinking about picking up an MXJ or an JX6!!

YEAH!!! :twisted:

ghetto dad
06-04-2007, 07:29 PM
single speed FJ or two speed....i have that little one too

4g63power
06-04-2007, 09:43 PM
good job dude..sorry couldn't make it..came home @4:00am and there was no way i could drive my drunk *** down to long beach from upland..even my friend actually showed up at my house minutes after i got home..i totally forgot to call him for NO GO.. :roll: glad to see you guys had a great time on the water..let me know next time for sure buddy :wink:

Funjunkie74
06-04-2007, 10:04 PM
good job dude..sorry couldn't make it..came home @4:00am and there was no way i could drive my drunk *** down to long beach from upland..even my friend actually showed up at my house minutes after i got home..i totally forgot to call him for NO GO.. :roll: glad to see you guys had a great time on the water..let me know next time for sure buddy :wink:

It was too bad you didn't make it, but it's good hear that you made it home safely! Keep an eye out in the rendezvous section from time to time and I'll see you on the boat!!

one_leg
06-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Funjunkie74,
Too bad I didn't talk my buddy Olfishergal into going on the boat.
Congrats on NOT landing that massive holdfast!! Ha Ha.

One_Leg

olfishergal
06-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Funjunkie74,
Too bad I didn't talk my buddy Olfishergal into going on the boat.
Congrats on NOT landing that massive holdfast!! Ha Ha.

One_Leg

yah, you should have asked. I would love to get out and puke on one of this ocean going vessels....seriously great catches. Looked like alot of fun, congrats

Funjunkie74
06-05-2007, 07:21 AM
One_Leg, the summer is just beginning... :twisted:

Olfishergal, the waters were calm....like glass 8)

Wingnut
06-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Very cool, glad you guys had fun! :wink:

npdes
06-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Good job on the barracuda. That wake up schedule is tough. I got a smoker and smoked all my barracuda. From what I hear, that's really the only way to go with them.