PDA

View Full Version : Halibut Fishing?

gman444
11-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a complete noob at halibut fishing from the surf. I have caught about everything else in the surf but i have never targeted Halibut. I was just wondering how i should get started, what are the best lures, and where to look for them? I live in El Porto CA if that changes anything. Sorry for the complete noob question but since you guys kick butt at this i thought maybe you could help?

surfnfish
11-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Haha I'm not that good at it but I'll spare you the trouble. D/S flukes, and of course the oh so amazing Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110 Preferablly in Metallic Sardine. I'm that there aren't too may people on this sight who'd disagree with that. BTW you'd probably do better with this post in the general message board.

BIGRED KILLA
11-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Where is Wingnut and every fisherman needs a trusty croc in there box all it is is shiney like all the baitfish in the water.

Bigred

GeordyBass
11-18-2008, 08:34 PM
halibut are fun to kill!!!!

Use the luckycraft 110 metallic sardine like they said here...or use rapalas with dots painted on the sides,,,ghetto!!!lol...Gulp! sandworms/sand crabs dropshotted/carolina rigged would work too...

ghetto dad
11-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a complete noob at halibut fishing from the surf. I have caught about everything else in the surf but i have never targeted Halibut. I was just wondering how i should get started, what are the best lures, and where to look for them? I live in El Porto CA if that changes anything. Sorry for the complete noob question but since you guys kick butt at this i thought maybe you could help?

Im just starting out myself, I have started to Drop Shot for them....i use 8 lb test, a 7 foot rod rated 6-12, anywhere from 1/2-3/4 ounce DS weight or reg bell weight, a 5 inch Zoom fluke on a #1/0 Owner Worm hook, or a 3-4 inch Fluke with a #1 or #2 mosquito hook.....
google "drop shotting for halibut"....youll find lots like that...how to tie the knot, what plastics are best, etc...lots on the LC too..

GD

ghetto dad
11-18-2008, 09:33 PM
halibut are fun to kill!!!!

Use the luckycraft 110 metallic sardine like they said here...or use rapalas with dots painted on the sides,,,ghetto!!!lol...Gulp! sandworms/sand crabs dropshotted/carolina rigged would work too...

lol..he said halibut, not perch.......

GD

Wingnut
11-18-2008, 09:35 PM
You can PM me with specific questions and I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction. :Cool: If you live in El Porto, Dockweiler State Beach would be a good place to start your Halibut hunt. :Wink:

ghetto dad
11-18-2008, 09:38 PM
You can PM me with specific questions and I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction. :Cool: If you live in El Porto, Dockweiler State Beach would be a good place to start your Halibut hunt. :Wink:

I was going to recommend you arthur.....sorry....LOL......

GD

OnDaHunt4Fish
11-18-2008, 11:42 PM
WINGNUT is your best bet .....

WARRIORMIKE
11-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Sinjin Kim and Wingnut are good people to start asking questions to :Wink::Idea::Idea:

Howling Mad Murdock
11-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Haha I'm not that good at it but I'll spare you the trouble. D/S flukes, and of course the oh so amazing Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110 Preferablly in Metallic Sardine. I'm that there aren't too may people on this sight who'd disagree with that. BTW you'd probably do better with this post in the general message board.

Don't forget the Ito Vision 110s as well. Not sure the pattern name, but I stick to the blue and metallic and the green metallic. Hmm, come to think about it, in murky conditions I have caught on the yellow/gold with red underbelly and flashy gold Vision 110s as well. Very similar to the Lucky Craft..

Can I get a witness Wingnut and Sinjin, cause I know both you have both lures as well!! :P

Wingnut
11-19-2008, 06:33 PM
The Ito Vision 110's are nice lures. I've caught a few Flatties on them also. But I've had better luck with the LC's overall. Plus the LC's are a little heavier and easier to cast. :Wink: My favorite Ito Vision 110 pattern is the Akahara Iwashi... deadly color. :Twisted:

gman444
11-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Thank You guys so much for all the tips. I'm definately going to hit the surf since i have school off next week. I'm gonna try D/S and LC for sure. You guys rock!!:Cool:

gman

ps sorry if i posted this in the wrong section:Embarrassed:

atfish
11-23-2008, 01:53 PM
You need to find good structure like eddies along jetties, estuaries, any river flowing to the ocean, deep holes and troughs along the surf. If there's bait around, your in the right area.
Ditto on the LC

hughpam
11-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Can anyone recommend a surf spot in San Diego?